Scaled Composites Pond Racer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scaled Composites Pond Racer

Scaled Composites Pond Racer

Thanks Joe!
    A little background on the FS9 Pond Racer:

She was built while I was stationed at Q-West, Iraq. Upon returning home this past August, I lost EVERYTHING on my laptop two months ago while upgrading to Vista SP2. The .mdl's simply went POOF! A member of my beta team luckily kept the first beta model and sent it to me. I decided to go ahead and release her, warts and all as my life has become pretty hectic (getting back to 13B basics).

I hope you enjoy her. She ain't pretty, she don't fly well, sounds like a buzzsaw, but I love her. Thanks for looking and for everyone's help over at freeflightdesign. She's up at Avsim and Flightsim.

If anyone of y'all wanna take a stab at the .air file, you more than welcome!

Blake

Cool find Joe! Mike

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Downloading as I type. Can't wait to try it out.
    Thank you!

I'm sure there's enough guru's here that we can come up with some respectable flight dynamics!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Tom,
    My biggest issue with her is that I/we couldn't get her to fly right. She either sat on her gear great and flew like carp, or she flew like batstank and sat horribly on her gear. Unfortunately without the .mdl, I can no longer calculate 0,0,0. Some serious voodoo is needed.

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks for releasing this little hotrod

I've always hoped someone would do this racer for 2004.

I love it and I'm sure with the combined talent here at SOH there will be a suitable tweaked flight profile.

:ernae:

Pete.

i'll have a Talk to Pam Brooker, the FDE Engineer at IRIS, she likes quirky aircraft, and loves a challenge!

thanks for the release, starting her up as i type...

Landings are a real thrill in this little plane :isadizzy:, gotta keep the power on after you drop the gear.

Change the "differential_braking_scale" in the brakes section to 1.000 from 0.000 and she'll turn smartly on the ramp with a little power.

Really requires a steady hand on the stick in flight. Unlike anything I have flown in FS. Very nice for a first time FS model.
    Thanks for the heads up!

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
    Tom,
    My biggest issue with her is that I/we couldn't get her to fly right. She either sat on her gear great and flew like carp, or she flew like batstank and sat horribly on her gear. Unfortunately without the .mdl, I can no longer calculate 0,0,0. Some serious voodoo is needed.
    There's a few members here that still have working copies of ACM. There's been several "collaborative" efforts here in the past that good results!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I took the Pond Racer into ACM to take a look at how it is set up...and only parts of the plane show up. From the cockpit back, nothing shows up. The wings are no shows. The right prop is a no show.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey guys,
    I made the worst mistake a designer could when I built her in FSDS 3.0.

0,0,0 is NOT the CG. The CG right now is at the instrument panel, when it should be at the 25% WRC. This was fixed in the second beta when I selected all the parts and pushed the Pond forwards within the program and re-did the animations. Some of the other fixes in beta 2 were the flaps, wheel hubs in the VC, rudder. Obviously with the second beta lost, I had to work with what I did.

The engines are both supercharged and produce approximately 1000hp each. She'll push upwards of 500mph. I put her in airwrench and played around with the parameters, but did nothing detailed.

I don't know squat about flight dynamics and would absolutely be tickled if y'all tweaked her. Thanks for downloading fellas.

Blake

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    I took the Pond Racer into ACM to take a look at how it is set up...and only parts of the plane show up. From the cockpit back, nothing shows up. The wings are no shows. The right prop is a no show.

OBIO
    Obio, I noticed that while trying to port it over to FSX. I fixed all that by removing the solid black alphas. FSDS and high alpha channels don't mix well. Anyway, once I fixed the alpha everything reappeared.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Blake,
    Just a couple of questions about your Pond Racer. I noticed that the graphic on the tail doesn't mirror itself right to left. I couldn't really find any images that showed both sides so can you tell me if that is, in fact, how they did the graphic?

Also, on the side where the Rescue arrow is placed, there are two lines of text that I can't read. The first line appears to have the word "Project" in it, but the remainder is too fuzzy to see.

I'm doing a high res version of that livery for FSX and I just wanted to verify those two before I continue. Thanks.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Falcon,
    The tail graphic is indeed like that because of the pinstriping, red on top, blue on the bottom, so the number colors are reversed on either side.

The text next to the rescue should read:

TO BLOW CANOPY
    PULL LANYARD (9')

Can't wait to see her in FSX. I can't run (fly) FSX on this computer, only testing to see if something works.

Take care,
    Blake

Falcon,
    The tail graphic is indeed like that because of the pinstriping, red on top, blue on the bottom, so the number colors are reversed on either side.
    The text next to the rescue should read:

TO BLOW CANOPY
    PULL LANYARD (9')

Can't wait to see her in FSX. I can't run (fly) FSX on this computer, only testing to see if something works.
    Take care,
    Blake
    Thanks Blake, when I finish the redo, I'll post some in-sim shots in here!:salute:

Current System Specs:

Your quite welcome sir!

The texture sheets are pretty rough and I didn't have the right tools to really do the job correctly. Believe it or not, most of the texturing was done with MSPaint, Paint.NET and GIMP. Luckily I saved most of my Pond Racer links on my home computer also.

Your quite welcome sir!
    The texture sheets are pretty rough and I didn't have the right tools to really do the job correctly. Believe it or not, most of the texturing was done with MSPaint, Paint.NET and GIMP. Luckily I saved most of my Pond Racer links on my home computer also.
    I'm using Paint Shop Pro 8 and basically redoing the art on a twice sized texture of 2048x2048. Shouldn't take too long to do. Very cool airplane by the way. Sad that the pilot was killed and also too bad that the airplane was never developed any further.

Current System Specs:

Awesome work Blake! Mike :ernae:

Blake,
    Here are some shots of the revised textures in place. These are 2048x2048 which FSX accepts (makes it nice for maintaining details). Of course they can be reduced back to 1024x1024 for FS9 and I think most of the detail will stay nice and sharp. I also saved them as 32bit for clarity.

For the guys that are working the FDE, I'm not sure if you've noticed this or not in FS9 but for my part, even after engine shutdown, it still sounds like the props are windmilling, even though they are stopped and all switches off. I pulled the mixture back for shutoff, so the engines shouldn't be getting any fuel. I couldn't find anything else in the cockpit that would be on and make the engines think they were still turning.

Current System Specs:

Just thought of something Blake, while I was looking over the screens. Do you have any idea what names are actually on the main gear doors? I assume they are the pilots and crew, but I couldn't find any references to them.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Blake,
    Here are some shots of the revised textures in place. These are 2048x2048 which FSX accepts (makes it nice for maintaining details). Of course they can be reduced back to 1024x1024 for FS9 and I think most of the detail will stay nice and sharp. I also saved them as 32bit for clarity.

For the guys that are working the FDE, I'm not sure if you've noticed this or not in FS9 but for my part, even after engine shutdown, it still sounds like the props are windmilling, even though they are stopped and all switches off. I pulled the mixture back for shutoff, so the engines shouldn't be getting any fuel. I couldn't find anything else in the cockpit that would be on and make the engines think they were still turning.
    Falcon, outstanding work! Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm going to do a bit of work on the flight suit and helmet as well. I wanted to get all the external stuff first though. Still a few things. . .the N-Numbers in a few other places and the word "Rescue" inside the arrow.

Current System Specs:

I found that Banana Bob's prop for Lionheart's Epic LT (FS9) works perfectly.

Get it at http://forum.siminsider.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=302

You just have to re-name it to prop_pond_racer_new and overwrite the original in the aircraft texture folder. Very happy with the results.

Mike

Whoa, that does look good. . .thanks for the HU.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0