Dang It - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dang It

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    When I first got this game, I was lost. I didnt know how to set the weapons, where the enemy was, how to read the screen for targets and friendlies. I would try to dock at a station (manually) and crash every time. I couldnt read the black manual, but kept trying. I was buying ore for very high prices and selling it for super low prices, so I lost tons of money.

I didnt know where to go or what to do.... I was totally lost.

Then I just started exploring and as I would travel around, I started learning the little controls, keyboard stuff, etc. I figured out the menu's, auto-pilot, etc.. Mike has been a massive help.

Now, addict... Extreme, lol... At least I wait till night time to play it. Hard to do sometimes. I did brake down 'once' and play it during the day when I was stressed out and needed some relief.. (wiping out Xenon... ). :d

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

harleyman
    I am slowly learning too..it does get more fun once you get a few basics down..Soon I head to wotk, where I now have it installed too for more practice......

At some point I want to see if my saved situations at work can migrate into my game at home..i think maybe I will get further at work than home as I have more time there some days...LOL

Mason, you can use your work saves but you'll have to use CDs to transport them home, or send them by email if you can.... size matters. Some of these save files arr 9mb or larger. I know Homail only allows a max of 10mb sent in a email. Use CD-RWs so you can erase the data and reuse them.

Once you had what you've run at work (shame on you ) and get it on your computer at home, go into My Documents/Egosoft/X3TC/save. Put those saves someplace to save them so you can reuse them if you want later on. I just make a SAVE file inside save and cut them to there. Then put in your work saves and you'll be set to continue on.

Remember in the game.... save save save in case you have to go back from a screw up. That way you won't have to start over from the beginning again. It's saved my bacon a number of times.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

SOH-CM-2014
    Flash drives!

You can put one on your keychain. You can buy them from 125 megs up to nearly 100 Gigs. (Expensive, but if needed, they are awesome).

4 and 8 Gig portable Flash drives are cheap at Wallyworld and some office supply stores, and Fry's Electronics.. (and NewEgg.com).

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Flash drives!

Bill
    Good call Bill.

Now why didn't I think of that, I never even gave it a thought. Well, one reason is I guess, I don't have one.
    Gary -

harleyman
    I have several flash drives...And a 110 gig removeable.....

I saved this info ..

Thanks GT182 for that ....

Good luck Mason.... at least you'll be able to run with what you have with both computers.
    Gary -

SOH-CM-2014
    Being in the FS business, I used to burn backups to CD all the time.. (all the time).. and after several years, I had a huge stock of Discs and my labelling didnt always work, and unfortunately on the discs I needed most, so finding info was pretty difficult.

Discs cost a bit of money for a stack of them, and the CD burning can burn out soon if you use it alot. So I finally went to using HD's as backup storage units. They are very fast, dont turn into mountains, can be stored in small area's.

For me, alternate drives are AWESOME!

What I would like (some day) is a 10 drive stack of HD's on a shelf away from the desk, and be able to link into it (on off selector) and transfer tons of data to the tower, be it Apple files or Win files, games, photos, etc..

Bill

What I would like (some day) is a 10 drive stack of HD's on a shelf away from the desk, and be able to link into it (on off selector) and transfer tons of data to the tower, be it Apple files or Win files, games, photos, etc..

Bill
    Bill what you want is a Network storage device, I use one for work, an HP it has 3 drives in it right now and it is a dream, connects with an RJ45 so the speed is excellent. I am fairly sure it would work with an Apple as well, HP makes a couple, mine is expandable to 5 drives.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte View Post
    Bill what you want is a Network storage device, I use one for work, an HP it has 3 drives in it right now and it is a dream, connects with an RJ45 so the speed is excellent. I am fairly sure it would work with an Apple as well, HP makes a couple, mine is expandable to 5 drives.

Wouldn't you need a motherboard with two ethernet jacks for that?

Didn't quite escape.
    Or a hub/switch/router.

We have a four port wireless router with two desktop PCs, the cable modem and a switch hanging off the back of it. The switch then feeds two more desktop PCs and a NAS device. But then Mrs. P is a school IT tech and I'm an ex company IT tech, so we like messing about with networks and stopping them being notworks.

SOH-CM-2014
    My iMac is amazingly 'normal'. I cant believe it. I must have gotten into them as they really became adapted to the rest of the world. It has a bunch of USB's in the back, one Ethernet, and thats it. No way to link out a firewire, SATA, etc. It would be nice, but the casing isnt set up for that. The huge, powerful Mac is though. But then it houses 4 HD slots, lolol.. I might consider getting one of those next instead of the new 27" iMac. It is more of what I need for my biz.

Good to know on the network though. I'll keep that in mind.

But back to apple, its very 'intell-ish' now, or worldly. Adaptions and interactabilities are pretty common now with hardware. I hope they achieve this with GC's soon. I hate having a special Apple GC card, though it is still ATI and nVidia.

Bill

I'm running 2 200Gb SATA HDDs in this computer now. Thinking of adding a third just for more storage. All the new games I'm running are loaded on the 2nd HDD and run from there. I can set up for RAID but just adding a HDD is easier for me right now. Plus I have an external USB 160Gb HDD to store stuff on too. But that can be dangerous if it's not shut down properly. When we moved I lost everything on it and it was shutdown as it should have been before I disconnected it. Oh well, it's all been replaced with new "stuff". LOL

One of these days I'll get a 1 T Sata HDD. Only thing is, doing a defrag will take a long long long time when it gets loaded up with "lotsa stuff".
    Gary -

harleyman
    Ahh Thanks Ian...I have a wireless router, a hub too, so I can access that way if ever need to..

Thanks..I think its called network Sharing...LOL

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
    One of these days I'll get a 1 T Sata HDD. Only thing is, doing a defrag will take a long long long time when it gets loaded up with "lotsa stuff".

Mine doesnt take too long. I would have thought it would, but it doesnt.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    Wouldn't you need a motherboard with two ethernet jacks for that?
    As others have pointed out a Switch/Router will work or if you have a spare slot you can add a PCI NIC for $20.00 and you will get top speed. I love my NAS I can sync my laptop at work in less than 15 min, I am syncing a 500 GIG drive (about 22 GIG of data) which would take 6+hours through a USB 2 port.

This stuff has come a longg way in the past 2 years and set-up properly it is almost effortless. Although I still have a few users who "Fook" it up regularly...lol
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Mine doesnt take too long. I would have thought it would, but it doesnt.
    Bill
    What Defrag program do you use Bill? I've been using the stock MS defrag, and sometimes I'll use MyDefrag-v4.2.4. Both seem to run at about the same speed... not very fast. And I've had to run MyDefrag twice just to do a complete job.
    Gary -

What Defrag program do you use Bill? I've been using the stock MS defrag, and sometimes I'll use MyDefrag-v4.2.4. Both seem to run at about the same speed... not very fast. And I've had to run MyDefrag twice just to do a complete job.
    IO Bits is very good, the trick is to set it to do a defrag automatically when the system is not in use, so it runs regularly and it does not have to work as hard each time. I have mine to set to run every 3 days and it mostly defrags 3 1 TB drives in less than an hour overnight.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte View Post
    IO Bits is very good,
    That is also what I use.

Another trick is to do it often enough so that I doesn't take hours

SOH-CM-2014
    Gary, I use stock Defrag also.

I'll have to check that one out Mike.

You're on it Marlin. The secret is to defrag 'alot' so it only takes about 15 min's. Once a week is awesome if you can pin yourself down to making that happen. (every 3 days is even better....! ).

Bill

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

Good stuff in my opinion, especially after what I have heard about the stock defragger that MS puts out. (for XP anyways)

harleyman
    I have been using IOBIT Smart defragg for several years now...

I put it on all my customers computers too..Along with CCleaner and Secunia PSI.

One word of advice...On defragging...To much and to often is not good on the platters.... Once a week is fine.... I have killed several drives over defragging them...

Thanks on the IObit recommend guys.

Mike, I don't leave my computer on 24/7 so a defrag in the middle of the night is out for me. I usually set an Antivirus scan for early morning on Fridays, after I start it up for the day, and I'm out for my morning coffee at WaWa. I'll just set a time for a defrag for a day other than that.

Like Mason says, once a week is ok... too many are not so good.

Boy, AVG doesn't like IObit does it. LOL

Just saw this looking around...... Transfer/Clone & Backup - http://www.spotmau.com/products/pack...FVw55QodcEOw1Q

Has anyone used that?
    Gary -

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    One word of advice...On defragging...To much and to often is not good on the platters.... Once a week is fine.... I have killed several drives over defragging them...

Eeeks... Thanks Mason for that valuable bit of information.

Bill

Thanks on the IObit recommend guys.

Mike, I don't leave my computer on 24/7 so a defrag in the middle of the night is out for me.
    :mixedsmi: