More sad news for FS9... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More sad news for FS9...

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    the thing is, most developers are making sooo much money, it's a wonder they ever produce anything at all after their first release. of course we've all heard the stories of their rockstar lifestyles. the women, the lavish mansions, garages full of exotic cars, etc. it's easy to hate those guys, especially when you see them on mtv cribs, hangin with snoop dog and maria carey, denzel washington, and the rest of the rich and powerful. it's a wonder how they sleep at night.

LOLOLOLOL.....

LMAO....

I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard.. Oh man.. Thanks for that.

Yes, I am a FS9 guy. :d

As I stated in another thread (the Epic Victory thread in the FSX room), I have had to make the decision to go to FSX only on the Victory because I needed parts to be super detailed, I need a TON of parts and I hit my limit already (early in the game) twice, several weeks ago. I have been stalled in depression up until Christmas where, during prayer, asking God for a way to fix this, it occurred to me (that calm answer that comes to you like a gentle wind) that for now, I could make (continue) the Epic Victory in FSX only format.

You see, I (me) wants to make FS9 planes. They are easier to make. They never have bugs or issues, never crash computers (rarely in FS9), and run good. They are great! I release them and usually only get back great feedback from FS9 people. But FSX is filled with 'my plane is black, my plane crashes my computer, my this happens, my that happens, it turns pink, it turns into a pile of parts like it went through a black hole'......

So you see, I would love to do only FS9 planes..

But, I need details, small parts, close vertices, and TONS and TONS of parts, which means I need a compiler that can make a FS9 plane with no limitations on polygons, and no limitations on vertice proximity distances.

EDIT: ADDED; In my studies on my own on the FS9 compiler, I found out that the 'antiquated' compiler uses MASM code, which was designed around Pentium 386 and 486 chips. The compiler dumps the entire model into the RAM memory pool for compiling, doing this all at once. (What it could do, is do the interior, then exterior, but the actual MDL compiler, MakeMDL.exe, does the entire model in one go.. The X files and ASM files are done in sets, not both at once). In the old days, if your 386 computer maxed out its memory on such a compiler, you crashed your computer. So they installed limitations on the compiler to keep people from crashing their computers. But today, when people have dual cores and quad cores and this is almost common now to have chips 10X faster then what they were back in the early FS2004 days, you can now run such a unlimited compiler with great ease.

Note; the CFS 3 compiler has 'no' limitations on polygons, and no proximity limitations either, and the 'field' of compiling is quite similar. You could almost say its almost the same, but the CFS platform uses different tag names and they utilise LOD's more then FS9/FSX.

Now, since I leaked this 'secret' in the other thread, here is the deal. I am secretly working with a huge, great programing guru on a new compiler for FS2004 which would have the limitations taken out. This would mean, I could make the Victory for FS9 as well. But this program isnt done yet. This is a pretty sophisticated process or thing to do. So far, its so complex that we are trying to do it by a secondary bypass. So far, no joy. But I am faithful.. I have been praying to God for this thing to happen for many years now. Lets see if this gentleman can do it. (Pray for him).

So just remember, you guys that are FS2004 only people, that I am on your side.

:ernae:

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    LOLOLOLOL.....

LMAO....

I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard.. Oh man.. Thanks for that.

Yes, I am a FS9 guy. :d

As I stated in another thread (the Epic Victory thread in the FSX room), I have had to make the decision to go to FSX only on the Victory because I needed parts to be super detailed, I need a TON of parts and I hit my limit already (early in the game) twice, several weeks ago. I have been stalled in depression up until Christmas where, during prayer, asking God for a way to fix this, it occurred to me (that calm answer that comes to you like a gentle wind) that for now, I could make (continue) the Epic Victory in FSX only format.

You see, I (me) wants to make FS9 planes. They are easier to make. They never have bugs or issues, never crash computers (rarely in FS9), and run good. They are great! I release them and usually only get back great feedback from FS9 people. But FSX is filled with 'my plane is black, my plane crashes my computer, my this happens, my that happens, it turns pink, it turns into a pile of parts like it went through a black hole'......

So you see, I would love to do only FS9 planes..

But, I need details, small parts, close vertices, and TONS and TONS of parts, which means I need a compiler that can make a FS9 plane with no limitations on polygons, and no limitations on vertice proximity distances.

Now, since I leaked this 'secret' in the other thread, here is the deal. I am (was) secretly working with a huge, great programing guru on a new compiler for FS2004 which would have the limitations taken out. This would mean, I could make the Victory for FS9 as well. But this program isnt done yet. This is a pretty sophisticated process or thing to do. So far, its so complex that we are trying to do it by a secondary bypass. So far, no joy. But I am faithful.. I have been praying to God for this thing to happen for many years now. Lets see if this gentleman can do it. (Pray for him).

Bill
    Bill,

You are a gentleman with a great heart. Chapeau my friend!

Greetz,

Cees

That's too bad, since I would have bought both of those. Especially since I've bought most everything Bill has made, and I'd really like to have a Cirrus Vision Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    In 98% of all cases of disappointment and frustration, silence is golden.... it's just a flight sim. and the silence keeps em' guessing.

I fly both sims and I look at it this way: If a developer decides to produce his product for FSX only, that's cool by me. It sometimes means that his FS9 products could be had for a song. Not always the case, but sometimes. On the other side of the arguement, that developers FSX products will be even better, given the possibilities with that sim.

Even the darkest of clouds have a silver lining when it comes to FS.

Just my two bits.

BB686:USA-flag:
    yea and if u are running FSX with just SP1 all those neat FS9 a/c will work in FSX too, so best of both worlds
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

SOH Staff
    thanks for the insight, Bill
    its way over my head
    but I appreciate that you took the time to explain
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Bill, I sense a true, if not truer (if that's a word) sense of dedication along your way of endeavors. You're a great modeler. Don't let the rest of the world hold you back!!! What you have made available, I've heard nothing but good from.

I would just like to add, try it. Learn how to do Gmax, it's not really that difficult. A year ago I knew nothing about modeling a plane. Now I think I know maybe 1/8 of what Bill or Milton knows, and it's enough to keep me excitedly coming back to the program.
    If you are a dedicated FS9'er concerned about developers leaving for FSX? Then try to become an FS9 developer. Eventually, these Gmax methods will become basics for future developing...me thinks. Plus it's fun. And when you see your polygons flying around your computer screen, it's the best. Not to mention the encouragement you get from the developers themselves, and the community. Can't beat it. My 2 cents.

SOH-CM-2014
    You know it Doug!

I second that. Gmax is awesome... Nothing like making a plane and putting in the sim and flying it....

Learning to tune airfiles is a horse of a different color though.. eeeks! lol..

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Bill

I fully understand your decision...and having read your other thread on this decision, I know it was not an easy one to make. I fully understand your desire to be able to produce superbly detailed models, and that the FS9 compiler prevents that. And I fully understand that FSX packages are out selling FS9 packages...and since these models are your livelihood, go where the money is. I own two of your packages.....one (the Epic LT) was purchased for me by another forum member and one (the JU-33..something like that) I bought when it was on sale. At some point I really need to pony up the money for your Belanca Air Cruiser (I think that's right).

Fnerg,

I could not agree with you more. Those who fear the loss of all FS9 developers need to grab Gmax, follow Gmax tutorial lessons a few times to familiarize themselves with the tools, then follow Milton Shupe's tutes and learn to model aircraft. I have started and stopped several times in my attempt to learn to use Gmax.....and I will try again at some point. Right now, my heart just isn't into it.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Fnerg,

I could not agree with you more. Those who fear the loss of all FS9 developers need to grab Gmax, follow Gmax tutorial lessons a few times to familiarize themselves with the tools, then follow Milton Shupe's tutes and learn to model aircraft. I have started and stopped several times in my attempt to learn to use Gmax.....and I will try again at some point. Right now, my heart just isn't into it.

OBIO
    i tried but now the pics of the babes have got me reinterested
    sadly life goes on
    if anyone here remembers Graham a great dev for cfs2
    VB planes, as the years go by the technical things change
    and standards change i have been around since fs5
    it took 2 years for me to get a pc to run cfs3
    i still cannot run fsx correctly
    it runs but not like fs9
    im an old fart and just cannot keep up
    but i try
    one just cannot bury there head in the sand
    and hope everything will be the same when we pull it out
    thats just life
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Charter Member 2011
    Well I for one am perfectly happy to sit here in FS9-land and wait while Lionheart & Co. figure out a better compiler.
    Plenty to do in the meantime...
    I can just see me having to back off the sliders a notch because of all those polys and detail - in FS9! :d
    Bring it on, Bill. :ernae:

PS
    I think new users get FSX (is FS9 still for sale?) and not seeing a great freeware selection, go out and get the payware.
    The freeware downloads are still overwhelmingly FS9, and probably will remain so, because of the complexity of FSX.
    So existing users that went to FSX (and seem to hate FS9 portovers), also go for the payware.
    This skews the apparent user base.
    A recent AVSIM poll asked "What is your preferred flightsim?" and the majority - unsurprisingly - went with FS9.
    The SOH poll also shows this (Probably time for a new one though)
    As to the apparently greater activity on FSX vs FS9 forums - well, in FS9 we are loong ago done with "Can I adjust my wiggle button without crashing the sim..."
    Bring it on, Bill. :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    yea and if u are running FSX with just SP1 all those neat FS9 a/c will work in FSX too, so best of both worlds
    Yep and another install of FSX SP1 +SP2...
    and another one with SP1 + SP2 + Acceleration.

No sweat... then you can run anything... just a few moments every time you want to change.

I have nothing against FSX, other than it's need for "more". It's installed on one machine and probably will be on this one, but until recently there haven't been enough reasons to go and use it.

There will still be FS9 planes coming out.. maybe not as many as often, but then most of the truly marketable ones have been done (or overdone).. so many of the others that we dream of would actually be pretty 'small market' items when it comes to sales and potential sales vs workload IS part of a payware developer's business plan.

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

Bill
    Just a thought Bill, but comments like this might not be beneficial in building any FSX customer base since it's obvious your heart isn't into their sim of choice.

Best of luck with the new compiler.

With all due respect, Michael, there is nothing wrong with having FS9 as your personal favorite...after all....some people still consider fs2002 their personal favorite, and FSX wouldn't exist without fs9 and so on...so for a developer who is as well respected as Bill Ortis to say that he has a soft spot for fs9 isn't in any way telling me that FSX folks will be getting less than 100% from him; He is one of the best fs developers out there today, and a great person to boot. That is the reason I started this thread; That is the reason for my disappointment. Too many developers out there whose hearts AREN'T in it...regardless of the sim they use...and when certian developers produce an addon, you know you are getting something special...something that required heart, soul, and dedication. I envy the FSX crowd that will be able to fire up the Epic VLJ when it is relesed. And i will peruse the FSX forum looking for screenshots and ooohs and aaaahs and how awesome it is....because everything that Bill does is excellent. Sorry I went off ranting again.....

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Just a thought Bill, but comments like this might not be beneficial in building any FSX customer base since it's obvious your heart isn't into their sim of choice.

Best of luck with the new compiler.
    Yeah, I probably shouldnt talk like that. I was nice though. :d

Thanks gang for the kind words.. Just a humble poly bender is all.

Bill

The other side of the coin

Next Alphasim payware offer will be a Sepecat Jaguar GR.1 / GR.3
    and it will be FS9 native ( ! ) including all foreing air arms versions.

( my next buy ! )

Vit Storch ( Kyrypust ) of Czech Republic is still working on a freeware
    Aero L-39C Albatross that will be FS9 native and will certainly be very
    very popular when it will be made available.

Ivan Jurcaga's "Mig Projekty" team of Czech Republic is working on a Full VC freeware Mig-21Bis Fishbed N that will be FS9 native and adapted for FSX too.

GMax Ac Mirage 2000 family and Kirk Olsson's F-16 have been updated
    by Eric Marciano with a very good payware "Hud & Radar" suite.

On Flightsim.Com, FS9 repaint files are updated daily with numerous
    new offers for both Civil, Military and Scenery chapters.

On comparaison, FlightSim.Com FSX repaint files are almost dead
    with some repaint offers only from time to time.

I have both FS9 and FSX installed on a super powerfull PC and I am
    on the FS9 application 80 % of my flightsim time.

Why ?

Time to download FSX applications compared to FS9 plus the fact that
    FSX have almost none military air bases sceneries contrary to FS9.

I agree that FSX have some real advantages but the FSX disavantages are by far bigger and I really think that FSX real usage among flightsimmers is a myth !
    :mixedsmi:
    VaporZ

Caution: we don't want to stir up the old discussion about FS9 versus FSX again!

Cees

Charter Member 2011
    aww why not cees?? some people like to smack their heads against the wall :isadizzy:
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    " aww why not cees?? some people like to smack their heads against the wall :isadizzy: "

LOL YES!!! :d :d
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Caution: we don't want to stir up the old discussion about FS9 versus FSX again!
    Cees
    Nope, it's a no-win discussion that has passionate supporters on both sides, each with what they feel are perfectly legitimate reasons why their sim is the best. No one wins and it never serves any real purpose.

No reason to get anyone's blood pressure up. Like Cees said. . .not again!:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I'm one of those that just can't decide whether to go with one or the other....so I fly both ! Lots of goodie still left in FS9 and lots of new stuff in FSX!

In fact I just now transferred my VRS Super Hornet (dang bug!) from my old gaming rig to my new one and will purchase the FSX version as well. Did the same
    with the Warbirdsim P-51B/C. Lots of stuff still going strong in FS9...so much that I like, it's still viable.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

I think the whole thing smacks of a very real problem, world wide: consumerism. We download a new a model and diddle with it long enough until something new comes out. Then we want that! I already have enough FS9 models to last me a long, long time. Did I put in enough time to fully grasp all of the detail of each of these models? Can I "fly" them by the numbers and nail each landing? No! I downloaded another. And played some more.

I believe that modelers like Lionheart, Shupe and Co., and endless others, put more into a given model than most simmers will ever know. Instead, we look to the next release! We do not appreciate what we have. We do not apply ourselves!

So, until one cannot fully appreciate what is before you, please do not rail against those who do not give you more.

Just an observation on my behalf. Nothing personal.
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by dandog View Post
    I believe that modelers like Lionheart, Shupe and Co., and endless others, put more into a given model than most simmers will ever know.
    Agreed! One of the things I like to do when I get a model with a good virtual interior is to move around inside and expolore - both visually and with the mouse. Samdim's Tu-114 is a perfect example of this - just drop down into the navigator's station during a landing replay! Another good example is Anton Nikolaev's An-14. Move back into the cabin and look for mouse-over hotspots - especially the first aid kit!:isadizzy:

Many of Bill's models have a lot of little "Easter Eggs" too. Just check inside the cooler on the Tailwind!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Felixthreeone View Post
    With all due respect, Michael, there is nothing wrong with having FS9 as your personal favorite...after all....some people still consider fs2002 their personal favorite, and FSX wouldn't exist without fs9 and so on...so for a developer who is as well respected as Bill Ortis to say that he has a soft spot for fs9 isn't in any way telling me that FSX folks will be getting less than 100% from him; He is one of the best fs developers out there today, and a great person to boot. That is the reason I started this thread; That is the reason for my disappointment. Too many developers out there whose hearts AREN'T in it...regardless of the sim they use...and when certian developers produce an addon, you know you are getting something special...something that required heart, soul, and dedication. I envy the FSX crowd that will be able to fire up the Epic VLJ when it is relesed. And i will peruse the FSX forum looking for screenshots and ooohs and aaaahs and how awesome it is....because everything that Bill does is excellent. Sorry I went off ranting again.....
    Just an observation from one of those evil pubishers who (almost) went to the 'dark side'...... and this is firmly tongue-in-cheek, gentlemen: I believe there are passionate developers and publishers making products for BOTH versions of the sim, just like there are many 'also-runs' producing not-so-great products for BOTH versions.

I don't think the choice of production platform has anything to do with that, and I know for sure that the choice more often than not was forced by Microsoft's decisions on how to build FSX and what resources one has than anything else.

Better stay level headed about this ;-)
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

I will just continue with FS9, there are just tons of airplanes availble. I cannot afford a new PC for FSX. I just get alot out of FS9.

Cheers

Casey