Question for plastic modelers

Thread: Question for plastic modelers

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there

Question for plastic modelers

Hi there, i have this question:
    Itīs a well known trick of the trade the use of "Easy Off" cleanser to remove paint from models without damaging the plasticīs detailes (such as rivets, panel lines, ect) but will this trick also work with clear plastic parts?

Hope you can help

Best regards
    Prowler

Hmmm....I don't know. Never tried to strip any clear parts with Easy-Off.

Another couple things to try...
    -Simple Green (100%, not cut with water). Keep the soak tank at room temp or warmer and leave it for a few days. It might lift the paint and I know it won't fog clear plastic parts.
    -DOT-3 brake fluid is supposed to be another good paint removal tool. I haven't tried it yet, got this tip from a google search I did a while back looking for some obsolete ModelMaster colors. Supposedly DOT-4 or DOT-5 doesn't work.

Simple Green works slow. You'll have to soak and brush, soak and brush,soak and brush...but it will lift most enamels eventually.

Easy-Off is a pretty caustic chemical, I'd be concerned about it etching the clear plastic. If the damage is deep enough, you won't be able to polish out the fog.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

SOH-CM-2024
    What stansdds says.

Easy-Off is more used by modelers for removing plated Chrome from parts that are chromed and need to be painted. I prefer Liquid Plummer, which is also caustic, but less so than easy-Off and it does just as good of a job.

Now, for removing paint, I highly recommend Floquil's Polly S EASY LIFT-OFF Paint and Decal Remover. It works on all paints, even lacquer. I have been using it for nearly 25 years now.

If you have a good model Railroad store in your area, they should have it. Otherwise, check it out here: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/flo/flo...source=froogle

Caz

Happiness Consultant
    Oddly enough windex works too ... you just have to scrub a little longer.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Oddly enough windex works too ... you just have to scrub a little longer.
    It's probably the ammonia. Ammonia works great on removing acrylic finishes on floors.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

russtee54
    Easy-Off will have the same effect as spraying the clear part with dull coat. It will fog the plastic. Mineral spirits brushed on then wiped off a few times should work but don't soak it in mineral spirits!

Easy off does work to remove paint (and chrome plating). I've never had it fog clear parts....

Brake fluid also works well to strip paint and remove chrome.

Strip-a-kit works well too:

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/accessories/sak.htm

-G-
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

sky pilot

Icon5 this is the safest

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    What stansdds says.

Easy-Off is more used by modelers for removing plated Chrome from parts that are chromed and need to be painted. I prefer Liquid Plummer, which is also caustic, but less so than easy-Off and it does just as good of a job.

Now, for removing paint, I highly recommend Floquil's Polly S EASY LIFT-OFF Paint and Decal Remover. It works on all paints, even lacquer. I have been using it for nearly 25 years now.

If you have a good model Railroad store in your area, they should have it. Otherwise, check it out here: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/flo/flo...source=froogle

Caz
    this is the best that I know of and it won't ruin the clear parts !