F-4 Phantom...

Thread: F-4 Phantom...

F-4 Phantom...

I got in the mood to fly the Phantom...and the only one I have is the old freeware Alphasim series. They look okay, the VC is very sparce...but there. The downside is that they barely hit Mach 1.

The new payware Alphasim F-4 Pack 2...is it worth the money (nearly $30 US). How are the flight dynamics?

Is there a set of flight dynamics out there for a freeware Phantom that I could use with the older Alpha Phantoms until I get around to buying the Phantom Pack 2 set?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OBIO --

I have Alpha's Phantom Pack 2 and it isn't new. Initially Alpha removed it from the store at the request of the author, but now it's back

Aside from being a bit dated, the visual model still looks pretty nice in the spot view, the 2D and VC are still very good quality and it's a good flyer, albeit a bit tame for an F-4. The asking price of about $30 is a bit high IMHO, but I bought the model anyway. I'm an AlphaSim Junkie. :isadizzy:Good Lord have pity on me...:

Cheers -- BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Obio,
    I bought pack2 years ago when it first went on sale. It was an acceptable model for it's day, and still is....but if you really want the best F-4, go for the Cloud9 version. The price is nearly identical.

https://store6.esellerate.net/store/checkout/CustomLayout.aspx?s=STR4626178260&pc=&page=MultiCa talog.htm

To be honest, the Alpha version's flight dynamics always seemed a bit suspect to me...but that's just my totally subjective opinion. Good luck.

dhazelgrove
    I have all the AS F-4 packs and the Cloud9!

I've tweaked all of them over the years, and they're all acceptable - if a bit limited.
    Only the RF-4s and the earlier Navy versions remain sprightly. Other versions always did drive like a bus.

If you want a pure longnose, go for the Cloud9. Anything else, go for the AS.

Dave

SlamBam
    I have all the AS Phantom also, and the Cloud9 an frankly if every FS9 plane was done as well as the Cloud9 F-4....I'd be a very happy camper. The cloud 9 F-4 is superb.

f4nutter
    have any of you tried the iris phantom ? it's the only F4 i fly,it looks feels and sounds great, just my opinion :salute:

The Iris doesnt look too bad (I've never flown the Iris model) ...but I have been a bit spoiled by the Cloud9 version since it came out...It is just that good. :ernae:

I have seen lots of screen shots of the Cloud9 Phantom...looks great. But $30 for one model is way too rich for my blood.

The Alpha F-4 Pack 2, still pricey at $30, but that would get me 6 models I think....maybe 5 or 7. Much better bargain.

I haven't looked at the Iris model, but will.

I am updating the freeware Alpha models with the Bob Chicilo (not sure I have that spelled right) updates. The plane now hits Mach 2.3, but is a real bugger to slow down for landing. With throttle all the way back, speed brakes deployed, landing gear extended and two clicks of flaps.....and a long long shallow glide to the run way...I still came in at over 350 knots. Main landing gear buckled upon contact with the runway, the plane slid the entire length of the runway, across the over run, through the grass, down a slight slope and only stopped when I plowed into a tree. I added an afterburner gauge to the panel to allow me to see if the after burner was engaged...the older ALpha F-4s have the catapualt feature built into the flight dynamics....and if the after burner is engaged, it is impossible to slow down for landing. Need to populate the VC panel with some gauges to improve VC functionality.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I've got the AS Phantom Pack 2; they are getting a little dated, but they aren't too bad, especially if you add some good sounds and some repaints. pierre Lheuruex (Sp?) did a few very nice ones, try Avsim for those.

The iris phantoms are just the British ones btw, but their VC looks better than the AS one. Can't comment on the Cloud9 Phantom as I do not have it.

Some shots:

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I have seen lots of screen shots of the Cloud9 Phantom...looks great. But $30 for one model is way too rich for my blood.

The Alpha F-4 Pack 2, still pricey at $30, but that would get me 6 models I think....maybe 5 or 7. Much better bargain.
    OBIO,
    FWIW, I don't own the Iris Phantom...but I have toyed with it on a friend's system. I thought their VC and flight dynamics were marginally better than Alpha's, but those are about the only minimal benefits. Although recent Iris products are impressive, their Phantom is an older pack...and strictly limited to the UK versions (RAF & RAN sold separately, BTW). There's nothing wrong with that, but if you're looking for variety in models, perhaps the Alpha packs would be best. HOWEVER, if you're looking for overall quality, I'd still go for the Cloud9 version...and no, I'm not getting paid to say that!! Just speaking from experience when it comes to flying (and buying) Phantoms for FS9...

Anime Adoring Aviator
    I also thought the price of the Cloud9 F-4 was a bit high but I really wanted a good F-4 so I bought it anyway. It is one of the best planes I have and it coms with lots of repaints so to me it was worth it.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post

I haven't looked at the Iris model, but will.

I am updating the freeware Alpha models with the Bob Chicilo (not sure I have that spelled right) updates. The plane now hits Mach 2.3, but is a real bugger to slow down for landing. With throttle all the way back, speed brakes deployed, landing gear extended and two clicks of flaps.....and a long long shallow glide to the run way...I still came in at over 350 knots. Main landing gear buckled upon contact with the runway, the plane slid the entire length of the runway, across the over run, through the grass, down a slight slope and only stopped when I plowed into a tree. I added an afterburner gauge to the panel to allow me to see if the after burner was engaged...the older ALpha F-4s have the catapualt feature built into the flight dynamics....and if the after burner is engaged, it is impossible to slow down for landing. Need to populate the VC panel with some gauges to improve VC functionality.

OBIO
    OIBO, to help the flaps slow you down a bit more, open the aircraft.cfg of the plane, and look for the flaps section. Then look for this line:

drag_scalar=1.00

Increase the value by a little bit at a time, say .2 or so, and try it. Adjust according until you find a value you like.

~A~

Cloud 9 policy towards regular lawful customers is little bit of a... however the F-4 is a great add-on never really understood why they concentrated only on the F model....

Do not know about the flight model but for me C9 F-4 is a winner and looking at screenshots of both external and VC models of the competion makes me think I made the right choice picking their "F".
    ----------------------------------------
    Good hunting lads!

For whatever it's worth, I have both the IRIS RAF and RN Phantom packs and love them! The later RN pack has a better VC, and comes with an RAF Germany FGR.2 Photo Recon version in camo. Since the RN FG.1 was also used by the RAF and was painted in RAF colors (Air Defense Grey - which comes with the RN pack as well), you can really do both services with the RN pack. Lot's of nice repaints for both packs and there is a very nice freeware Ark Royal to practice carrier landings on with the RN FG.1. I can't count the number of times I've run Northern QRA drills to Norway out of Leuchars with FG.1's. If you're an RAF/RN fan, I'd purchase the IRIS RN pack in a heart beat. I think it's far better than the AS Pack 3.

Regarding the AS Packs 1 and 2, look for repaints by Gus Robatto. They are truly amazing. With those repaints, the AS birds stand with the best.

The Cloud9 version certainly is superb but the nose seems a little tooo long to me - I think that AS got the model better. Cloud9 is limited to one model and the repaints are nice but not great IMHO. If you get this one, look for a photo-real Spanish repaint and a JASDF black last Phantom repaint (by Mumbo Echo I think). The Cloud9 bird can't be transferred to a new computer w/o some sort of new code/approval from Cloud9. As they've been apparently recently bought by someone else, don't know how difficult this would be.

A2A is working on an FSX Phantom - should be awesome.

Regards,

LT1

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Some shots of the Iris Phantoms:

FGR.2:

And the FG.1:

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I forgot to mention that I also have the IRIS Phantom. It's a real hot rod in comparison to the AlphaSim version. The IRIS model didn't come with a 2D panel so I added one. Basically the same gauges and panel layout as the VC. One thing I really like about the IRIS model is the sound pack it came with... loud and obnoxious :ernae:

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Kinda off the topic.. I have the Alphasim Phantom (Navy & Marine versions). Is there a way to activate the burners wihout the CTRL Shift F4 combo?? Also, I must have an old version because I don't seem to have the "bonus model" that has been discussed. Mine include model, model1, model2,and model3. The models are of the B and the J models...

I have the Alpha pack 2, IRIS FGR.2, and the Cloud 9 F-4F. The the F-4F for overall performance, looks, and VC wins by a country mile, BUT I like to fly RAF Phantoms.

The Alpha model is pretty good, but as usual for Alpha the loadouts are VERY suspect, and why they thought they should add that HUD is anyone's guess as the F-4 always had a very basic pipper and that's all! Sadly there are very few re-paints available for the Alpha model which is surprising.

The IRIS model is pretty good, and does allow for all RAF air defence loadout configurations. The radar is VERY annoying (and VERY wrong), but can be removed in the panel config file. Where the Alpha model lacks re-paints, this one has them in spades!
    PJ
    www.uk-warbirds.net Historic flying in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Kinda off the topic.. I have the Alphasim Phantom (Navy & Marine versions). Is there a way to activate the burners wihout the CTRL Shift F4 combo?? Also, I must have an old version because I don't seem to have the "bonus model" that has been discussed. Mine include model, model1, model2,and model3. The models are of the B and the J models...

I may be mistaken, but I believe th CTRL+SHIFT+F4 command will only set the mixture to 100%. The command for the afterburner is SHIFT+F4, isn't it ?

yea, my bad.. I don't normally like the combo keys.. hence the lack of knowledge on my behalf...... any answers???

The Alpha "bonus models" are in the paint kits. You can download them from your original download site.

The Alpha models are rather old, and, I think, made before developer's learned how to hook the AB directly to the throttle. It's actuation by key press is built into the model. I think it only actuates the AB effect, not the power. I think there is an invisible gauge that can be ibstalled to actuate the effect. FSD had one for their T-38.

As for textures for the Alpha models being rather few, I have somewhere around 175 zips downloaded over the years, all three paxks combined, so there must be a few out there.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

dhazelgrove
    Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    As for textures for the Alpha models being rather few, I have somewhere around 175 zips downloaded over the years, all three paxks combined, so there must be a few out there.
    Have a look on avsim. There are hundreds.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post

The Alpha models are rather old, and, I think, made before developer's learned how to hook the AB directly to the throttle. It's actuation by key press is built into the model. I think it only actuates the AB effect, not the power. I think there is an invisible gauge that can be ibstalled to actuate the effect. FSD had one for their T-38.

I got the AS F-4 when it reappeared in the Shop. The AB's come online with the thrust levers. I guess they upgraded a few things when they put it back up for sale.

Members who have read this thread: 3