WIP...... RAF Tangmere

Thread: WIP...... RAF Tangmere

WIP...... RAF Tangmere

Just as the planners get permission to build houses on top of one of the most famous old RAF stations, the old girl fights back! This should be out in a couple of weeks and will only be for FSX and Gen X VFR volume 1.

one of the most famous RAF stations indeed, i'd even say infamous thanks to Bader and his Tangmere wing... i hate when sites that played a pivotal role in our country's history get more or less flattened for housing... looking good though, keep it up

Yep, lookin' very nice so far Calypsos. Nice work.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Didn't quite escape.
    Mine not good enough for ya then? :d

(JOKE!!!)

Actually, it would be interesting to see how mine fares when using the photoscenery, because it wasn't designed with it, but was positioned using Virtual Earth aerial images.

Mine not good enough for ya then? :d
    Hi Ian, I think yours is for default scenery only? There have been several sceneries for Tangmere (also one by John McKeon) but I think this is the first to feature it in photo scenery with full autogen vegetation.

Tangmere is a special place to me, I flew my first solo flight there (glider, aged 16) and also had my first taste of military aviation there (aged 5) at the 1963 Battle of Britain Open Day, the last before it closed. Recently, I spent two years (my last in the UK) working as a volunteer for the museum there. As soon as I started making scenery, I knew Tangmere was a must.

I have two 'Seaside' airfields (EGCK Bognor Regis LEC and a small field at Bracklesham Bay)due out this weekend, both about 4 miles from Tangmere...it's getting a bit busy around West Sussex nowadays!!

Didn't quite escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by calypsos View Post
    ...but I think this is the first to feature it in photo scenery with full autogen vegetation.
    So yes, mine isn't good enough... It doesn't have enough trees.

Seriously, mine was never intended to work with the photoscenery so I have no idea whether it works or not.

What might be of use to you, depending on what you are planning to do, is that I want to model the barn and a representative house (I can't find good enough photos to know what it really looked like) for Gibraltar Farm. Are you planning on putting that in?

Doing the other sceneries around it sounds good as well. I'm currently putting down the basics of all the airfields around Shrewsbury, so people can see how crowded that bit was. It's hard to believe how much of this country really was covered in runways and dispersals by the end of World War II!

Hi Ian, I have several of your airfields, which are great. But I can't see Tangmere on your site. Where do you have it hidden?
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Didn't quite escape.
    You know what? I'm getting mixed up with Tempsford. Tangmere was what Jaap did for the Lysander, which is why I'm getting them mixed up.

I'll go and hide at this point... Guess this means another hour or so trying to fathom planar UVW mapping in penance (I still don't understand it!!!) :ernae:

Umm... Sorry.

Tangmere was used in WW2 as a FOB for Lysander ops into N. France. There is still a cottage (represented by a generic cottage in my scenery) called 'Lysander Cottage' where the agents spent the evening in hiding before taking to the air. My Tangmere is the post war version (it was upgraded for jet fighters in 1945) and comes with some Meteor F8 statics.

Didn't quite escape.
    Gibraltar Farm at Tempsford fulfilled the same purpose, but to try and disguise the true function, they made it up to look like an actual working farm in the middle of what was technically just yet another bomber station... It's just that most of the bombers didn't carry bombs.

The only post-war airfield I'm looking at currently is RAF Gaydon, so we're well clear of each other in both time and space right now. :d

...I'm still interested to know whether my sceneries work with the phototextures, though, just because I'm nosy.

Best of luck with the project, sah! :salute:

Getting there! A line up of static 74 Sqn Meteor F8's make the place look a bit busier.

The fire dump was a place of facination for us kids, it was close to the road and not unusual to see something like a Vickers Varsity being reduced to burnt out scrap. Here a DC 3 is about to meet a firey end for the sake of training.

Members who have read this thread: 0