Magnification ratio

Thread: Magnification ratio

Magnification ratio

It may be interesting to know that apparently Canon has just started revamping it's 70-200 (f/4 non-IS/IS, f/2.8 non-IS/IS) lens line.

At least, that's what thought when reading this:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10...n70200isii.asp

What I wonder about...in the article they write "The minimum focus distance has been reduced to 1.2m, with a corresponding increase in maximum magnification to 0.21x.".

I know my trusty 55-200mm has a magnification ratio of 0.29 and the 400mm 0.27...but what does it mean in practice ? Do you see real, major differences ? I've read the same about a lens I'm looking for myself, the Sony 28-75mm f/2.8 SAM - the magnification ratio being 'just 0.22'.

A (tele)zoomlens magnifies the things you see by the corresponding factor, but...still...don't get the whole picture about it.

Oh, and I do know a macro lens has a magnification ratio of 1.
    Please let me know about spelling and grammatical errors in my English, thank you!
    Aeropedia.be photographer
    Flightlevel.be photographer, editor and forum administrator
    So drink to the Black Cat PBY,
    Damnedest old plane in all God's sky,
    BB-gun for'd and a slingshot aft,
    Hundred twenty knots when in a forced draft.

Sony DSLR-A350 + 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 + 55-200mm F4-5.6 + 70-400G F4-5.6 SSM (all lenses made by Sony). All in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack.
    My Flickr photostream.

The simplest explanation I have seen is that the maximum magnification of a macro lens is how large the object appears on the imaging sensor. So, for 1:1, it's like you plopped the item down on the image sensor and made a scan of it! By maximum, it means you are right at the minimum focusing distance (close as you can get).

Members who have read this thread: 0