Dutch SOH meet 2010: Overloon museum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch SOH meet 2010: Overloon museum.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Dutch SOH meet 2010: Overloon museum.

Time for it's own thread!

It started originally in this thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=28926

The plan is to get together at the 'liberty park' in Overloon (Formerly known as the 'oorlogs en verzetsmuseum') on Sunday the 21st of February. We will gather at 11:00 am, the location is yet to be decided.

Confirmed to come so far are Huub Vink, Jankees, Grunau_Baby, Robcap, Warrant, Maarten and myself, if anyone else feels like joining please leave a post here! Non-Dutch members are welcome too of course!
    On the 'maybe' list: Francois, Cees Donker.

The museum website: http://www.oorlogsmuseum-overloon.nl/

The old war museum merged with the privately-owned Marshall museum a few years ago, which added a massive 350+ military vehicles to the collection. These are housed in a 15,000 m2 new hall. Most of the old stuff from the museum has been restored and moved inside, so even in bad weather it will make a nice day out.

Hope to see you all there! :ernae:
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Videre Vincere Est

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Time for it's own thread!

It started originally in this thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=28926

The plan is to get together at the 'liberty park' in Overloon (Formerly known as the 'oorlogs en verzetsmuseum') on Sunday the 21st of February. We will gather at 11:00 am, the location is yet to be decided.

Confirmed to come so far are Huub Vink, Jankees, Grunau_Baby, Robcap and myself, if anyone else feels like joining please leave a post here! Non-Dutch members are welcome too of course!

The museum website: http://www.oorlogsmuseum-overloon.nl/

The old war museum merged with the privately-owned Marshall museum a few years ago, which added a massive 350+ military vehicles to the collection. These are housed in a 15,000 m2 new hall. Most of the old stuff from the museum has been restored and moved inside, so even in bad weather it will make a nice day out.

Hope to see you all there! :ernae:
    Whoohooo, that's only 30 clicks from here! Damn well gonna be there! :ernae::salute:

Edit: I personally recommend the museum, as well as the modelling shop across the street. It is a shop, but also a small military scale modelling exhibit. You will find rare models there! http://www.modelbouwoverloon.nl/
    or in English: http://translate.google.nl/translate...2F&sl=nl&tl=en

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Added you to the list, René! We only need one more to break our record attendance of six..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

uh ohhhh.. that may well be RTWR race week... unless the powers that be decide to risk racing on St. Valentine's Day

Just make sure you check for our progress!

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

We only need one more to break our record attendance of six..
    No problem, does skizophrenia count when I come along...?

Looking forward to it. And, yep, that shop is amazing. Was closed when I´ve been there a few years ago. I must have drooled all over the shop-window then...

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

I might actually be in AMS that weekend - its my sisters 30th bday on the 21st.... will talk to her tonight and report back
    Henk Hugo
    Shackleton Project

It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem take care of itself.

Happiness Consultant
    Ya'll have fun ... take plenty of pictures and post em when yer finished!

:ernae:
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

If I don't have other commitments that day then I'll be there..... so that's a definite 'maybe' !
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Quote Originally Posted by grunau_baby View Post
    No problem, does skizophrenia count when I come along...?
    Try asking at the counter: " Do I have to pay for each voice I hear in my head..?"

Quote Originally Posted by grunau_baby View Post
    And, yep, that shop is amazing. Was closed when I´ve been there a few years ago. I must have drooled all over the shop-window then...
    Are they opened on Sundays?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Ya'll have fun ... take plenty of pictures and post em when yer finished!
    Snuffy,if I take just one photo of every vehicle in there, I need to post 400 photos! Not to mention all the uniforms, weapons, items, posters, etc etc!

:d

Quote Originally Posted by shackleton_boy View Post
    I might actually be in AMS that weekend - its my sisters 30th bday on the 21st.... will talk to her tonight and report back
    Henk, Schiphol is about 100 miles from the museum, but I'm sure we can work something out and pick you up somewhere.

Videre Vincere Est

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Are they opened on Sundays?
    Yup! :salute::ernae:

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    If I don't have other commitments that day then I'll be there..... so that's a definite 'maybe' !
    Would be nice Francois
    R.
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Ferry - i'll actually be in Haarlem, i'm sure i can get a train or something? I must just check the bank balance after xmas shopping SA - NL tickets dont come cheap
    Henk Hugo
    Shackleton Project

It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem take care of itself.

Shackelton_boy, Haarlem is not that far from where Jan Kees and I live. In fact Jan Kees lives about 400 meters from a train station along the line towards Haarlem.

As Ferry already said, I'm convinced we can sort something out.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Shackelton_boy, Haarlem is not that far from where Jan Kees and I live. In fact Jan Kees lives about 400 meters from a train station along the line towards Haarlem.
    Cheers,
    Huub
    indeed I do, there should be something possible here..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Good to see things can be worked out!

Some photos from a previous visit, to get people interested:

That last one looks like something out of that Star Wars scene in the woods...
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittpilot View Post
    That last one looks like something out of that Star Wars scene in the woods...

It clearly shows where George Lucas found his inspiration :d

The radar system on Ferry's picture is a German Würzburg radar system, which was used as tracking system to guide the anti-aircraft guns. They were often used in combination with a Freya radar system which was used to detect aircrafts.

They were very common here in Europe. There was one in Katwijk which is about 6 kilomters south of where I live. As they were all demolished short after the war I'm looking forward to see this one. This is just the radar device, the complete system in Douvres in Normandy, where even the computer system (!) linking the Freya and Würzburg radar is still intact!

It is amazing that the Germans already had quite accurate radar guided anti aircraft systems in 1939!

Cheers,
    Huub

Not just a Wurzburg Huub, but a Wurzburg-Riese (Gigant Wurzburg), also known as the FuMG 39T or the FuMG 62 as it was known with the Luftwaffe. Range was about 70 kilometers, with an accuracy of 30-40 meters. The radar could only track one particular aircraft, but it was indeed an impressive piece of work in those days.

Here are some more pictures for those of you who won't be able to make it:

http://europerides.smugmug.com/Motor.../2697593_BiJa9

http://europerides.smugmug.com/Motor.../2697587_vHbkB

http://europerides.smugmug.com/Motor.../2694138_Ho2ij

Two years ago. Don't think I'll be coming on the motorbike this time, might be a bit too cold (looking outside now).
    Umbria, Italy

A little over three weeks to go, time to give this thread a little

I had hoped the weather would clear and I could ride the bike down.... but heck, it started SNOWING again !!
    Umbria, Italy

yea sorry guys - wont be able to mske it - cant get away from work at this point:salute:
    Henk Hugo
    Shackleton Project

It's on my agenda!
    In 3 weeks snow can melt Francois:ernae:
    Pitty you can't make it Shack.

R.
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2