Disaster! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disaster!

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Hey OBIO,

Man.. I feel your pain. This happened to me 2 years ago, and I had Lionheart Creations on it..

Since then, I have learned to have backups of backups and to be responsible on backing up 'alot'...

I havent read all the input from others and I am sure they are repeats of what I am about to say. You might not be able to afford a really good backup HD, but get one anyway. In the future, when you can afford a class A backup HD, get it. For now, you can get super basic 'jumpers' that are under $20.00, nice plug in jumpers that are about $40.00, and you get a 'internal' HD and plug that in and just start transferring your data over for backups, and then store that puppy nicely in your desk drawer. (I have like 7 of them).

On your lost drive, you might be able to have the data saved by data pro's online. I think Henry knows a good group. might take a week, but you should be able to get your photos back (family and all), and perhaps some of your birds. So long as you havent attempted to add things, which would overwrite the 'floating' unlinked files.

When files are deleted, they still exist on your HD. They are only 'de-linked' from a master link, such as C:\My Documents\Photos... Once its link is gone, its floating in the land of 'no links, thus gonzo'... There are data search programs that retrieve those unlinked files and programs (and virus') and such. Be careful as deleted virus' can exist in that 'danger zone' as well.

Overwriting (downloading and installing) new data onto your HD will be overwriting those files that are de-linked, so beware of that too. The more you use it, the more files are being lost to new writing..

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

The drive that I lost everything on was a secondary drive...D:, a slave drive. C drive is fine and the system is running smoothly. I was able to use a neat little utility to retrieve the "lost" files...but they were either damaged or they were not in any recognizable order....I had hundreds of config files that were simply free floating, thousands and thousands of bmps from various paints that were associated with no particular plane. I said phooey on it....formatted the drive three times, ran a number of disc check utilities on it and they all came back fine.....I am just going to build from scratch one really super install with all the freeware bells and whistles I can stuff into it in terms of mesh, scenery...and install just those planes that I actually fly on a regular basis...no point in having 800 planes installed if they only got flown on the day I installed them.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wink

Hi,

and install just those planes that I actually fly on a regular basis...no point in having 800 planes installed if they only got flown on the day I installed them.
    I take this way sometime ... and 12 months after I have 800 planes installed .. etc ...

There's a lot that d/l, fly, then shove off into a hangar folder on another drive. I'm currently at 31 addon folders installed, with another 277 mothballed.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Planes-11
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    There's a lot that d/l, fly, then shove off into a hangar folder on another drive. I'm currently at 31 addon folders installed, with another 277 mothballed.
    Wow Tom, it looks like if you start now to fly a touch and go with each aircraft you have hangared, you may be able to just land the last one by the time your grandchild asks, "Hey Grandad, what did you do during the war"?...

I didn't even include the 237 folders that contain the Transload fleet stashed in a different folder!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Obio I know how you feel, I was hit with a virus on new years day and had to wipe both hard drives. Last night (tuesday) I just finished installing and setting everything up.

Fortunately I lost very little, all my FS9 aircraft and scenery files etc are backed up on an external HD.

I was running NOD32, now it AVG free anti virus!

Happy days

Sorry to hear about the SNAFU. I may seem old fashioned here, I save every download on CDs. I got over 60 of them. If there is a "meltdown" at least I can start over.

I used to keep everything to CDs, till I found that all the ones I have that are over 4 years old are useless. Why?? I dunno. They worked fine for years, then suddenly they all quit. Nothing but errors or "unreadable" And NOT just on one player/unit. This happened to almost a dozen CDs, different brands, burnt on different computers. Luckily it was mostly stuff from FS2002 or earlier, but there was also three disks of personal stuff. Only 1 of those disks still works, as of 2 months ago. I started buying multiple external harddrives after that, burn everything to two different disks and try to keep only one of each turned on at a time.

Is everything backed up? No, but my personal stuff is copied to at least three diffeent external disks at any one time, plus I now use Carbonite backup system. This requires what I want to keep special on the C drive.

My FS stuff is on 5 different drives, right now. I have backed all my payware stuff to DVD, but I'm still not trusting that as permanent. (What really is????)
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment