A Cross Roads....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Cross Roads....

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

A Cross Roads....

Well... I have hit a cross roads in my business and carreer.

As you know, I create planes in both FSX and FS2004 format. I love FS2004. It is my sim of choice for personal flying. It is smooth and I can max out my settings. It is easy to make planes for.

In my business, when I sell planes to FS2004 people, I never hear from them again, except 'thanks'. With FSX, I hear complaints about textures not showing up, gauges not showing up, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc... Its like the ultimate bag of bugs.. I spend perhaps 20 to 30% of my time walking people through changing settings, adding the FSX SP1 update, lowering scenery settings for planes to show up, adding on the low RAM textures performance pack (regular sized textures, regular resolution), so they again show up and not turn black on the screen.

That has kind of worn on me.

But......... This is the really difficult part. I have wanted a 'compiler' that, like CFS3, can make (compile) models that have 'no' (none) limits on Vertice proximity, and can make models at 100,000 to 200,000 polygons or larger (unlimited). All for FS2004. This is so that my FS2004 models would be the same mesh as FSX. Crisp, huge in detail, smooth small parts....

I have been working on a compiler with a gentleman in Germany and we have been trying to get this going. Its taking a while.

The odd thing is that the FS2004 compiler 'should' have the 'auto-weld' on the 'exterior' model!!!!! Its backwards. You should NOT have auto-weld on the VC model so that small details (like switches and things) would have high priority since they are so close to you. It was a mistake that was never corrected.

Concerning polygons limitations, that was because at the time, MASM code worked with 386 and 486 computer chips, and the entire MACRO of the 'model' being compiled was dumped all at once into the RAM pool and being compiled, and on older computers, that could/would cause computer freezes (back then), so they limited the amount of RAM the compiler could use.

So now, here in the future, we still have ONE single compiler for FS2004 models that is backwards and antiquated, using MASM code designed for early Pentium chips, in an age where developers are now using i5 and i7 computer quad core chips......

ARRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has put me through a depression of sorts. I shouldnt be telling you guys this. I want the best models possible, and also I want these available in FS2004 and I am now stuck at a cross roads. I am going to have to continue making the Epic Victory in FSX format. Yeah... FSX. I get my small parts perfectly shaped. I can have a beautiful co-pilot lady figure. I can have the nose opening front compartment now. I can have 3D braklines on my landing gear. Things I wanted in my FS2004 model that I had to take out..

You say, 'C'mon Bill, move with the crowd!' No.. I have my freedom. I want to go where 'Bill' wants to go, not with a crowd, but where I like it, where I want to go. I like the performance of FS2004. I like how it is stable. I like how it is easy to make planes for. I like having my sliders maxed out. I like that!!!!

I had even been considering going back to FS2004 only for making models. Its faster and there are less complaints and less problems.

But I must have my small, high detail parts, and my extra additional detail.

So.... I am at a cross road.

To do, to do....

If I had great power, I would purchase FS2004 and take its limitations out like CFS3 had. I would then compile my super models and recreate the Autogen to be nicer (especially graphics) and relaunch that baby with a better fleet of new planes.

Bills world. want want want... arrgh..

I wanted to share this with you. Some of you might think its hilarious, even goofy. But perhaps there are a couple of designers developers that might agree.

If only..

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Videre Vincere Est

Wink

Bill, why don't you start something......?
    See what happenes, see who is willing to help, see what legalities there are (do's and don'ts).
    I know there is a whole bunch of enthousiasts out here and MS seems to have abandoned them. Why not gonna give it a try?
    Perhaps the ansewer tou your roads crossing is not doing it alone, but with a group? (if possible).

Give it a thought.

Best whishes for 2010 :salute:

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Well, you already know my position on your dilemma as we have discussed it several times privately :d

I will say that to me totally giving up on FSX development now could hurt you down the road if/when it becomes necessary to return to FSX products as it will put you at the back of the pack trying to get up to speed again. There are some interesting things being done with models these days...
    Regards,
    Robert

I'm sorry, Bill. Really. I feel your pain and any new tech inevitably comes with a load of that. I can only speak as a scenery developer, which is a very different pursuit from aircraft modeling, but I'd never go back to FS2004 willingly. Some see the dizzying array of modeling options in FSX as a pain. I see them as a toybox with endless opportunities for enhancement of my models. For me and a bunch of scenery devs I know, FS9 is just archaic compared to FSX. Simpler? You bet. But also simpler looking.

As computers get more powerful and cheaper, FSX is only going to get more and more dominant - at least until a new sim is introduced that eclipses it. If you're looking to be in the mainstream business-wise, I'd urge you to stick with FSX and learn its systems better. On the other hand, being an FS dev isn't a big-money game, so maybe that's not worth the hassle for you. It certainly sounds like that's the case. If that's true, then just go with what makes you happier and more fulfilled as a developer. Like they say, life's too short. :salute:

Ah Bill,
    It's a shame you never got FsX running well but as you say it's a complicated sim with varying results between different simmers systems. So you can spend a lot of time helping customers getting your aircraft to work well.
    I for one would consider it a great loss to FsX if you pulled out but I can see your frustration.
    Whatever you decide I wish you all the best for the new decade:ernae:

Roger.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    to me and i understand your dilemma
    we have a few creators on the staff here
    we have Milton, Gramps and yourself
    who basically have the same feelings
    now you tell me what a team that would make
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

As a customer of a few of your FSX planes, I think it would be a huge loss to those of us who fly FSX exclusively, if you were to stop developing for it. That said, I can completely understand your very valid frustrations. I only hope that if you do decide to drop FSX development, that you might consider updating your Bellanca Classics Collection as native FSX aircraft (which I would jump at the chance to purchase,) before stopping development for FSX completely. Of course, that's just a personal 'wish', as ultimately you need to do whatever makes you the happiest.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and thanks for the many great FSX addons that you've already produced, they are unquestionably some of my most favorite planes.

Happy New Year!

-George
    OS: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit; FSX: FSX Gold in DX10 Mode; CPU & Mobo: i7 965 on Asus P6T; RAM: 6 GB Corsair Dominator Triple Channel; GPU: (2x) Sparkle GTX 460 2 GB (SLI-AFR 1) on TH2GD to (3x) LG 19" 1440x900 Displays (4320x900 total); Power: Corsair 850 Watt; Other: CH Yoke and Pedals, Saitek Pro Flight Switch and Multi Panels, (2x) Saitek Throttle Quads, TrackIR 5

I feel the pain - but FSX is the only way to go. There is just so much more immersion possible.

Sorry all you niners...
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

Charter Member 2015
    From a purely business point of view....you'd be mad to give up on FSX. Also, no offense....but you're doing yourself no favours by running FSX on your Mac. Build a new PC (Ted and Mason have provided guidelines for low cost FSX capable systems) and you'll wonder why you'd ever want to fly in FS9 again.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I just installed X on my system, and boy does it look good! But I also have FS9 on my setup...and boy...does it look and RUN great!!! Its 9 for now...

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey guys,

The decision is leaning more towards FSX. I guess I didnt explain myself well. I would rather stay in FS2004, but I need more detail in my planes, and I had been holding back my mesh models using FS2004 mesh requirements to make them with so that my FS2004 models had the same offerings as my FSX models.

Right now, in FSX, I can have brilliant switches and small details, and I can add my other compartments and features and not have to worry about over-poly-limitations, etc.

It's just that my bond with FS2004 is really imporatant to 'me'. Not business, but me. I love that sim and I would rather be focused on 'it' than FSX. Business is all FSX, so there is no market for FS2004 only. But I refuse to leave that market and its a better 'to deal with' market as well. The product lines install solid without errors of RAM and textures.. Gauges show up properly. Its so much better to make planes for..

I guess I am whining..

arrgh..

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    I'm sorry, Bill. Really. I feel your pain and any new tech inevitably comes with a load of that. I can only speak as a scenery developer, which is a very different pursuit from aircraft modeling, but I'd never go back to FS2004 willingly. Some see the dizzying array of modeling options in FSX as a pain. I see them as a toybox with endless opportunities for enhancement of my models. For me and a bunch of scenery devs I know, FS9 is just archaic compared to FSX. Simpler? You bet. But also simpler looking.

As computers get more powerful and cheaper, FSX is only going to get more and more dominant - at least until a new sim is introduced that eclipses it. If you're looking to be in the mainstream business-wise, I'd urge you to stick with FSX and learn its systems better. On the other hand, being an FS dev isn't a big-money game, so maybe that's not worth the hassle for you. It certainly sounds like that's the case. If that's true, then just go with what makes you happier and more fulfilled as a developer. Like they say, life's too short. :salute:

Hey Bill,

I fully understand. From what I have heard, the scenery side of FSX development has improved so radically much from FS2004, including textures limitations, a 'round earth' this time, installment of ground textures, etc.

For plane makers, you have work trippled. You have a new XML code to work with (so if you work in both FSX and FS2004, that is now doubled), you have a more sophisticated, delicate, and thus moody gauge code (animation code) system for models (airplanes) so there is more to go wrong and diagnose when setting up your animations. The FSX tools do not function and 'attach' components/codes/effects 20% of the time (that may be slightly overexagerated, but not by much). Textures require lots of delicate babying as there are perhaps 4 to 7 diff textures per material in a model. So at say 15 to 20 materials, thats how many textures. eeeks!

Then, you have to walk people through getting your planes to work if you have high resolutions and tons of animations.

Part of the biz...

:isadizzy:

SOH-CM-2014
    I will stop whining... I will stop whining... I will stop whining...

<-- smacks self

Yeah - folk only read what they want to see Bill - I am with you. I know it'll hurt, but FSX is at least up to date and will remain stable (as far as developement goes) for a good few years.

Whilst MS aren't / might not be following up on their flight sim, some publishers are thinking seriously about an heir to the throne. What I read there is that they won't even think about FS9 as a user-base. FSX has the means and any successor will use (or attempt to use) Compatibility to FSX.

The problem with a lot of new developers for FSX is that they need to completely re-learn the "howtos" with respect to the SDK.

Everything does work in FSX. You just need to understand how and why.

Folks, I am still running an FS9 PC (> 3years old) and I am still getting usable performance (50+ FPS is not uncommon. And I have stopped working on FS9 entirely; ages ago. X is just too much fun.
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

On Another Planet
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    If I had great power, I would purchase FS2004 and take its limitations out like CFS3 had. I would then compile my super models and recreate the Autogen to be nicer (especially graphics) and relaunch that baby with a better fleet of new planes.

Bill
    Isn't that FSX?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

NoNewMessages
    I hear whine goes well with (macaroni &) cheese. :mixedsmi:

If you think FS9 runs better than FSX, just wait until you try FS2000 on a Mac (& cheese)!

I found an O-L-D plane mentioned at an airport on your side of the river. No fancy gauges. Probably not a ton of animations. Just an old plane that people would love to fly. Might become your best seller EVER, of ALL-TIME! I could go back and find a phone number, in case you wanted to call the guy and see if he wanted his classic made for FSX? All I remember is that you need to head north and make a left turn at Little America.

<-- smacks self

#1 Do you need a visit from Inspector Poly to smack your head on straight?

#2 and in all seriousness - the day you stop whining about your FS2004/FS-X problems, is the day you quit modelling entirely. Remember, it's been your "whining" that has forced you to learn more and more. It's been your whining that's brought out new ways of doing things. It's been your whining that has led many a developer to learn from you (and from your mistakes) ....

Now, pipe down, or I'll bring up the blue checkered box again!
    Felix/FFDS

MCDesigns
    Bill, I have the utmost respect for you as a developer (and a person), so please don't take this the wrong way. If you love FS9 so much, you should develop for FS9. I don't feel any developer should develop for a platform they do not want to develop for and in the back of my mind, if I know that a developer is just developing for a platform that they really don't care for (business or not) I will always feel that their heart isn't into it and I'll wonder if the addon is all that it could be.

Knowing first hand how much work is involved I'd almost feel guilty buying an FSX aircraft from you now knowing how you feel about developing for FSX.

You gotta do what is going to make "you" happy, not us.

And to think...I was soooo excited for the Epic VLJ in fs9....what a colossal letdown. Another good FS9 developer bites the dust.

Bill,

Your planes are among my favs in fs9. I can't even use them in fsx because default i get 14fps. So maybe one day, a few years from now, I can once again enjoy the FS developmental mastery that is Lionheart Creations....as it stands right now...I hope I have a job at all in 2010 let alone the money to afford an FSX rig...I will pray that i do....

You know Bill, I don't know if it helps in any way or if it even applies to your current situation, anyway ,here goes:
    I' ve skipped FS9 entirely because of the dreaded 4mm weld issue.
    We've been doing 3d gauges since back in CFS2 days but FS9 was a step back due to said bug. We've been modelling for CFS3 instead.
    Interest in the civil FS line came back with the possibilities FSX had to offer, and you know what? You're a desinger by heart who wants to push the limits and inspite of the FSX bugs there's nothing better around right now so go with it. You can always talk your users through the FSX configuration whoes but you will never feel good with something that you know of could be done better on another plattform, simply because you want it to be right.
    Happy new year to you and all the fellow SOH members!
    Mathias

<-- smacks self
    bah - its the time of year for adding things up and taking their measure to see what its all costing and whether it is worth the battle

it looks like FSX allows for more detail but with added work and some amount of frustration that is absent in the older format...also that your extra efforts are less appreciated (or even understood) by your constituency, and that rankles a bit.

Having looked at 3d modeling in the most rudimentary terms myself and having some experience in 4d balsa and plastic scale modeling - I feel competent to say I understand where you are coming from.
    One pursues perfection in all aspects of modeling - form, fit, function and finish - pinpoint accuracy in all the details is the goal.

I can only say that your works are sublime - and beyond that, you provide unequaled service and support.

I do hope you will continue to make FSX better than its creators imagined it could be - FTX, REX and Lionheart Creations give us virtual flying that is as close to real as it gets - thats FACT

cheers Bill - and thanks for the great planes :ernae:
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

<-- smacks self
    You know what? None of it sounded like whining to me (at least not until the above post I quoted... lol j/k). It sounded like someone who needed to vent about some things and did so. Sometimes venting can be a great way to work through things, as it allows you to verbalize the many thoughts in your head, and can help you to sort through them. It can also help you see them with a different eye once they've been sorted through. So I say vent away. It's good for you, and may help alleviate some of the stress and depression you've been feeling over all of this.

-George
    OS: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit; FSX: FSX Gold in DX10 Mode; CPU & Mobo: i7 965 on Asus P6T; RAM: 6 GB Corsair Dominator Triple Channel; GPU: (2x) Sparkle GTX 460 2 GB (SLI-AFR 1) on TH2GD to (3x) LG 19" 1440x900 Displays (4320x900 total); Power: Corsair 850 Watt; Other: CH Yoke and Pedals, Saitek Pro Flight Switch and Multi Panels, (2x) Saitek Throttle Quads, TrackIR 5

Blog Entries
    Bill my friend, I am strictly a consumer. I buy airplanes and scenery and other FSX stuff. The only FS9 add on I have ever purchased in the last two years is the VRS F-18. I bought that for two reasons, one I wanted to see what it could do and two, I wanted to support them so the FSX model would come out. I do not have FS9 on my computer any longer.

I have purchased all of your FSX aircraft except the Tailwind (of it will help I will buy it too.) However, I am not posting to talk about FSX or FS9. I want to talk about Bill and Lionheart Creations.

I will put it very succinctly, you Billl, are one class individual. I am a very discriminating consumer. I am big on customer service. I will buy one airplane from you that I like, the second will be purchased because I am happy with the support I receive, if there are problems.

You are not the only one who does this but, you are very visible with your support, updates, etc. It is obvious that you care. A piece of your heart goes into every airplane you make. I respect that and I respect you for being so.

As to advise? I have none. You know best what is best for you. I just want to thank you, on this occasion, for making my world a little nicer.

Happy 2010!
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Bill,

Been there done that and my advice is to ignore everyones advice here , thats not malicious but bitter experiance, some will agree, some will not, either way they are not you, only you and you alone can decide where you go.

The cross roads sounds like not which sim to develope for but which fiddle to play, sounds like your trying to please others rather than your self, thats the wrong way to go, its the correct commercial head but its the wrong emotional head. Dont make what you think others think you should make, make what you want to make, the rest will fall into place. Granted some may complain at the potential loss of your work, but at what price to you ?. Self sacrifice is great bit sometimes me is important.

Personally I found deleting FS9 and all the addons (expensive) the only way to walk forward, technically FSx wins hands down, for game play then FS9 wins hands down and as I'm an engineer and a modeler far more than a gamer the choice was made easier. I dont agree with developing for both, its time consuming and emotionally draining.

And thats my one post a month used up on day one LOL.

What ever you do, you must be happy with yourself.

Sincerely

Michael