FSX Improvements?

Thread: FSX Improvements?

FSX Improvements?

As it's holiday time, I thought I'd actually spend a bit of time flying around and just enjoying the sim.

I've decided that I'd like to improve the looks of the sim so would like some input please on what people think would be the best additions to upgrade the weather, scenery etc.

Payware or free's fine so long as it is not going to savage my computer...

I'd be most grateful for the advice.

Thanks in advance...

J van E
    Scenery: FTX (unless you are into photorealistic scenery)
    Weather: ASA
    Clouds and water: REX

FX: Some people will probably suggest GEX (improved generic textures) and UTX (real roads, waters, etc.) but FTX beats it all imho. Only drawback is that FTX only covers Australia... (though the Pacific North West is comung up soon). But even though I have no interest at all in Australia, I fly there all the time because it simply looks so good!

ASA: I also own ASA but don't have it installed right now... It's hardly ever the weather I like to see. And I also fly in Australia and live in Europe so I don't think it gives me the right weather for the time of day I am flying there. I almost always use the same weather that looks cool on my computer, also thanks to...

FEX. O, make that REX... Well, I own FEX for better cloud and water textures, but FEX has sort of stopped existing, so the best addon to buy right now would be REX. REX also has a weather engine, so getting REX might eliminate the need for ASA, but I know not everyone is completely pleased with the weather part of REX and uses it only for the textures.

I think that right now these are the best addons around for making FSX look better.

Baz, I haven't a clue really, but I am going to watch this thread to see what pops up. I'm currently using GEX and UTX, but to be honest, both have gotten very old for me, dated, if you will. I see screens from folks using the REX environment and wonder why I thought GEX and UTX were so hot, lol. Also, I've had UTX turned off in my sim, more than on because of some anomalies that seem to be generated by that program (right now it's turned off).

I'm also looking for a solid weather generating program as well. I use real world weather from within FSX and have ever since I moved to FSX from FS9 (where I used Active Sky exclusively).

So I'll check back from time to time and see what the general public comes up with. Good thread.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Baz, I haven't a clue really, but I am going to watch this thread to see what pops up. I'm currently using GEX and UTX, but to be honest, both have gotten very old for me, dated, if you will. I see screens from folks using the REX environment and wonder why I thought GEX and UTX were so hot, lol. Also, I've had UTX turned off in my sim, more than on because of some anomalies that seem to be generated by that program (right now it's turned off).

I'm also looking for a solid weather generating program as well. I use real world weather from within FSX and have ever since I moved to FSX from FS9 (where I used Active Sky exclusively).

So I'll check back from time to time and see what the general public comes up with. Good thread.:salute:
    Falcon, REX does nothing to either UTX or GEX, they are ground textures, REX handles sky and water texture and runway textures.

What anomalies do you get with UTX? I have UTX-USA and UTX-Europe. No problems here.

Caz

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    . . . . .What anomalies do you get with UTX? I have UTX-USA and UTX-Europe. No problems here.
    Caz
    Disappearing inland lakes and land masses just appearing for no apparent reason, usually along the left or right coast. In both cases, when I turn off UTX, everything goes back to normal.

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    Falcon,
    I presume that you are using Acceleration? If so that is the cause of your problems but there are tools available to rectify the UTX/Acceleration problem over at the Flight1 forum:
    http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=23111
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Just download and run the appropriate tools. It's worth saving the tool for future use because installing scenery like FTX can cause the problem to return.
    <o></o>
    Happy New Year,
    Ian.

Charter Member 2011
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

6297J
    For those using the weather engine in REX, how does it deal with the haze layer? Activesky Advanced completely eliminates the terrible default 'hard-edged' haze layer but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere about how REX2 deals with it.

Hi Barry, for clouds and water I use FEX ground textures I use GEX and UTX for proper positioning of roads and waterways, airports and the like. I use a small amount of photoscenery, right now it is just Megascenery Hawaii, Dillingham and Las Vegas, but these have no effect on frames for me.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...-53-28-250.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...8-2-53-781.jpg
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

For your neck of the woods Baz the FTX Aus scenery texture enhancement is probably the best I've ever seen It's not cheap but if I lived there I'd have it all.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    For your neck of the woods Baz the FTX Aus scenery texture enhancement is probably the best I've ever seen It's not cheap but if I lived there I'd have it all.
    i agree!

H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

what is FEX?
    Henk Hugo
    Shackleton Project

It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by shackleton_boy View Post
    what is FEX?

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=flt1fex
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

EVGA 790i Ultra | Q9450 @ 3.2GHz | PNY XLR8 OC 9800GTX 512Mb | 4Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 | 2x WD 150Gb Raptor X RAID 1 (OS) | WD 300Gb VelociRaptor (FSX) | WD 640Gb Caviar (Data) | WD 500 & 160Gb External HD's | ASUS 20X DVD | Coolmax 1200W PSU | ASUS Silent Knight II HSF | Antec 900 case | Samsung 2443BWX | XP Pro SP3

Well, I just threw down $50.00 for Active Sky Advanced. . .based almost completely on what I remember from using Active Sky when I flew FS9. . .I really liked it. One thing I dislike as I get older is stuff that gives the appearance of being complicated. . .I don't like complicated. . .after living this long I figure I deserve "easy", not complicated, so before I do any sort of critique I'm going to read the manual and go back over the program in it's entirety and make sure that my first impression was wrong, lol, lol.

Current System Specs:

J van E
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    i agree!

H
    Er... I can't say that screenshot does FTX any justice: it looks rather awfull (apart from the plane). Extremely blurry textures (underneath the wings already!), lonely trees, hardly any houses... I've seen better advertisements for FTX...!

" but FTX beats it all imho. Only drawback is that FTX only covers Australia... "

J van E
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    " but FTX beats it all imho. Only drawback is that FTX only covers Australia... "
    Oh, yes, sure, FTX beats all, but I meant this particular screenshot, not FTX in general: FTX is the best.

The biggest improvement in visuals for me was by increasing the terrain LOD radius to 8.5. Can't believe I've never played with this setting before. All my enironment textures are a mix of various freeware and I'm very happy with how my FSX looks. Of course, when Orbx get around to Europe I'll be throwing my credit card at them.

I have Tongass and most of the France VFR and nearly all of Italy in photoreal, and NL2000, but I fly almost exclusively in FTX Australia...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Well, I just threw down $50.00 for Active Sky Advanced. . .based almost completely on what I remember from using Active Sky when I flew FS9. . .I really liked it. One thing I dislike as I get older is stuff that gives the appearance of being complicated. . .I don't like complicated. . .after living this long I figure I deserve "easy", not complicated, so before I do any sort of critique I'm going to read the manual and go back over the program in it's entirety and make sure that my first impression was wrong, lol, lol.
    Well, I'm going to continue to give ASA some slack since I'm still learning how to use it. Thus far. . .it's about even with the FSX weather engine (Jeppeson).

Current System Specs:

So far, some excellent suggestions guys, thanks.I too am very interested in people's experiences with the various packages available.

For leisure use, I use Acceleration on a Quadcore with a 9 series G force card
    and buckets of ram. So frame rates aren't really an issue.

Im a bit of a warbird fan as you know, and 'miss the old RAF fields terribly. So I'd go for something that'll give me Britain as it looked in the 40's. Scenery I think I can find, it's setting up the rest that is the challenge.

I was a great fan (still am actually) with the work that was done for FS9 and the Golden Age period. That made simming so evocative.

Herny,

Is that the Realair Spit IX? If so is that repaint available anywhere?

Thanks Ron

Members who have read this thread: 0