Water textures from FSX to CFS2?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water textures from FSX to CFS2?

Hi Aimé, Miamiegle, Dvslats,

These land class textures which are converted from Aimé Leclercq’s and FSX stock textures for use in Combat Flight Simulator 2 and wonderful.

It should be marvellous if also the FSX water textures could be converted for use in CFS2.:salute:

See the screenshots (2 in CFS2 and 2 in FSX)

Happy new year to all

The mission screenshot in FSX

I think the water is one of the most limiting things visually in CFS2 compared to the FS series, is ther any way to improve on it? I dont know the particulars... and is it possible to introduce any 3d texture to the water as well? actual wave forms?
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Hi langereis and CrisGer,
    I can try some of them and post some screenshots. Unfortunatly there will be no reflection animation in CFS2. Just static visual.
    I'll get back to you guys.
    Dave

Have I got this right? We make two texture folders with the new files, both the same, and put one in CFS2 root and one as scenedb\world\texture?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Hi dhasdell,
    Pretty close...there is no need to make new texture folders.
    Just open the the files you have downloaded where you will see Bitmap Images named "008h2su1" and others as an example.
    With this folder still open tick on Edit in the windows toolbar, Select All, then Edit again, Copy, minimise the screen then open the folder in CFS2 scenedb\world\texture. Tick edit with it still open then paste.
    It will ask you if it is ok to replace the the old ones with the new ones... click on Yes To All.

Still inside of CFS2, go back to the root of CFS2 where you find a folder named Texture, should be right after Scenedb. Double click Texture and when it opens do the Edit, Paste again. It will ask the same question again, tick Yes To All.

I Think that a graphic will help on this. I will make one up.
    Dave

Thanks - but make copies of the originals outside CFS2 as well? My forum sig was not arrived at by coincidence.

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

I Hereby Nominate...

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    ...Thanks - but make copies of the originals outside CFS2 as well? My forum sig was not arrived at by coincidence...
    Dhashell's Post for the Funniest of the Almost New Year !

LOL !
    SC

"...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    Is it kosher to upload the textures for those of us FSX'less?

IF they are changed a bit, they would be like mod files, similar to other resources shared in between the sims i would think always with the no other use provision that eveyrone respects and observes. I would think it is similar to a new skin for a plane but just on a wider scale. Always everything is under the same umbrella of resources for the game and for no other purpose.
    Admin

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    My thinking also. It wouldn't be the first time that FS textures were used for CFS2 & uploaded.

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    IF they are changed a bit, they would be like mod files, similar to other resources shared in between the sims i would think always with the no other use provision that eveyrone respects and observes. I would think it is similar to a new skin for a plane but just on a wider scale. Always everything is under the same umbrella of resources for the game and for no other purpose.
    I was not aware that modifying existing Microsoft files, then uploading them was O.K. If I had known I could have made the language packs easier to install - drag and drop. I wanted to be very careful about copyright infringement.

Real pro enviroment

Dvslats;:salute:
    Maybe you would have better luck.
    I tried to convert some files from Real Pro Enviroment that I found nice but had minimum to none sucess. Could they be a candidate for your conversion skills? They had some nice water , runway and taxiway textures. I tried nad then had surgery and now am CRAFT :isadizzy: as to what I did, or did not do.
    Not as good as the pics of FX but maybe a substitute.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ernae::isadizzy:

How About This...

Quote Originally Posted by oldwheat View Post
    My thinking also. It wouldn't be the first time that FS textures were used for CFS2 & uploaded.
    That's true oldwheat, I can think of four others who have done the same thing from Fs8 and Fs9.

Getting back to the FsX water class textures...CFS2 has sixteen place holders for water texs. FsX has one hundred and eighty.

I can format the one hundred and eighty to 256x256 8 bit for CFS2 (a copyright protection in itself ) and upload them.
    As far as the naming of the textures, with all of the choices, someone would have to take them from that point and provide the name/numbering themselves. I have the Fs 2002 sdk which would give the layout for doing this. Put that in the upload also...then tinker away.
    What Do You Think?

Hey Fibber,
    I'm not familiar with Real Pro Environment. Are these freeware?

The Graphics

Hey dhasdell, make copies of the originals and paste them somewhere outside the sim...like your My Documents as an example.
    Made some pics...

I was thinking of the connection between FS2000 and CFS2, as they both use the same engine, that makes a lot of sense. I suppose we could try to make packs of relevant textures that would work for CFS2 for differnt areas similar to some of the new water textures that Stiz has made, that way ppl could switch them out for the differnt theatres, as the coral textures would not be needed in the Med or Europe and vice versa.
    Admin

Dvslats;
    It is a FS2004 (I believe) file. Here is a link to the download

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloa...9-details.html

Thanks dvslats - done it!

Those Screenshots

A little something on the FsX water textures in CFS2.
    They really give this sim a bad case of striping. The FSX water class bitmaps have a pattern in each of them. It shows up Ok in the civil sim because there are seven .bmp's to CFS2's one.
    In example...

CFS2 007h2su1 = Shallow Ocean Water 1: 0-5m

FSX 007h2su1
    007h2su2
    007h2su3
    007h2su4
    007h2su5
    007h2su6
    007h2su7 ___ All seven of these = Shallow Ocean Water 1: 0-5m

Looks like the water class is using the similar amount of texs as the land class.

Using only one of the above bitmaps gives a fraction of the detail intended, thus the strip effect.

The first screenie is a single bitmap taken from FSX to give you an idea of the irregular pattern in it.

The second is the effect it has in CFS2.

well looks like that wont work .... too bad, well maybe we can heighten some of the contrasts in the Water texture to give an illusion of waves without making them too blotchy. I am experimenting with a new water set now.
    Admin

If my memory serves me correctly someone had converted FS9 water textures back when "The Zone" was in operation. Only those who had powerful kick butt PCs could actually run them however...back as far as 2001-2002 maybe? I distinctly remember the multitude of screenshots everywhere.

Sadly my AMD 1.33, ATI 7200 didn't fair well enough to run 'em...

Somebody remember that?

Yeah p14u2nv, I remember that. It was the detail in those that caused a resource overload. My video card was only a tnt something or other with 32 megs of memory. Today's newer hardware really made CFS2 look brand new.

I had some time today and did some experimenting with a set of custom water class textures. Google earth to PSP to Image tool.

My goal was to create something to emulate the shallow to deep ocean effect, keeping the highest detail possible without getting into the striping. And also to keep them on the generic end where they would fit in just about anywhere in the Pacific.

Here's what today's results are. Some of the hues are still off a bit...this is in the Solomons. Opinions?

Those look great dvslats, appreciate all your efforts.

msfossey

Indeed, they do, thanks for all the work you do!:salute:

Members who have read this thread: 2