New Years' in Monterey or bust!--jkcook28

Thread: New Years' in Monterey or bust!--jkcook28

New Years' in Monterey or bust!--jkcook28

Off to pick up the white coats in SE0E. Sikorsky CH-53.
    -John-

One down safely.

Pilot to "scientists": Forget about creature comforts, get in, sit down, strap in and shut up....:d
    -John-

Show back on the road to SEGS. CH-53
    -John-

Down again safe at SEGS.

Some day I may see clear wx again?
    -John-

Time to log some jet time.
    The scientists' were alot less surly boarding the Convair rather than the eggbeater!

SEGS-->MM1H. Convair 990A (painted as a 990 :d)
    -John-

2hrs to go. Not much going on so chased some winds for a bit for lack of anything better to do.
    Flying lower than I'd like but everthing above puts the wind square on the beak. How unusual...
    -John-

Added excitement. As I posted the usual FS wind shift and a flurry of panic-stricken keyboard commands puts me well on the way to 60sec of overspeed at 8.4
    Back to monitor the barber pole.
    -John-

Increasing headwinds, yay.
    "Stewardess, more eggnog please!"

ete 1:30
    -John-

"Stew, more eggnog!"

More eggnog, more overspeed. 11.5sec now. 1hr+5 and 615mi....
    -John-

Ahh crap, a R/L issue now. Aborting leg try again Sat.
    -John-

Trying again with no interruptions this time other than I need to shovel the forecast 1" of snow that fell under the 5 additional that is still falling.
    Anyway, SEGS-->MM1H. Convair 990A
    -John-

Down safe MM1H
    -John-

The next two legs:
    MM1H-->MX85. Convair 990A (Shows departing Z22F in duenna :isadizzy
    MX85-->MMEP. CH-53

One long loud one to go...
    -John-

California here come!

First I must "interpret" the rules.
    A quote taken from one of Robs' followup posts:

The definition of "piston-engine, propellor-driven transport"? well, how would YOU define "transport"?...

From Dictionary.com:

trans⋅port

 /v. trćnsˈpɔrt, -ˈpoʊrt; n. ˈtrćnspɔrt, -poʊrt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [v. trans-pawrt, -pohrt; n. trans-pawrt, -pohrt]

–noun
    4. the act of transporting or conveying; conveyance.
    5. a means of transporting or conveying, as a truck or bus.
    6. a ship or plane employed for transporting soldiers, military stores, etc.
    7. an airplane carrying freight or passengers as part of a transportation system.
    8. a system of public travel.

Therefore, I'm off for KMRY, Boeing TB-50.
    (and there's plenty of room in there for 10 wienie scientists!)

From the Law Offices of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe.
    -John-

R/L abort with 2hrs yet to go. Try again this week.
    -John-

Well if a I'm going to get to Monterey by New Years, it's time to go. (again)
    -John-

Battling headwinds, but 2:15 out. Nice day tho.
    -John-

Done deal. Scientists not real happy about the creature comforts!
    -John-

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/transport+aircraft
    "Aircraft designed primarily for the carriage of personnel and/or cargo. Transport aircraft may be classed according to range, as follows:"

I'm surprised no one challenged the B-50...

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I guess it depends on which dictionary you read...

Bombs and/or recce equipment could be considered cargo.
    -John-

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/transport+aircraft
    "Aircraft designed primarily for the carriage of personnel and/or cargo. Transport aircraft may be classed according to range, as follows:"

I'm surprised no one challenged the B-50...
    No need to challenge boss, the entire run doesn't count.

As part of the RTW race may require one (or more) long "corridor" flights, this exercise is designed to test your aircraft selection and handling, ability to endure the boredom of a long over-water flight and the tension of it ending in a less-than-perfect airport. It is a four part exercise: 1) the long, tedious trip out; 2) a potentially dangerous short "shuttle" flight; and 3) a long finishing run to a modern, full-service airport.
    I don't see any log for the trip out.
    :salute:
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    I don't see any log for the trip out.
    :salute:
    The "long, tedious trip out" is SEGS-->MM1H.

There is no requirement to fly to SEGS for the start; from anywhere.
    -John-

Ohh I think you're mistaken. If you look at the ORDER of the exercise requirements you should see that the long trip out is shown BEFORE the shuttle flights, in fact its SHOWN (in RED) as requirement number one.

Consult your lawyers as they not only misinformed you about the hop order, but they informed you flying a bomber was somehow legal. 10 passengers + gear+ pilot wont fit on a plane that has a crew of 8, unless you magically modify the plane with a few folding chairs.

Have a happy new year.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Sigh, the "shuttle" flight is the run between MM1H and MMEP, not the helicopter action prior to SEGS-->MM1H as per ADDENDUM. Also read The Mission section. This paragraph: As part of the RTW race may require one (or more) long "corridor" flights, this exercise is designed to test your aircraft selection and handling, ability to endure the boredom of a long over-water flight and the tension of it ending in a less-than-perfect airport. It is a four part exercise: 1) the long, tedious trip out; 2) a potentially dangerous short "shuttle" flight; and 3) a long finishing run to a modern, full-service airport. describes the type of legs in general, not the mission.

As for my aircraft choice, see my leg post http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&postcount=14
    That's my interpretation. Certainly open to some argument, but see this page and check crew: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/fac...et.asp?id=2649

Dewey, Cheatum and Howe are not cheap but they are good. :d
    -John-

Quote Originally Posted by jkcook28 View Post
    Sigh,
    That's my interpretation. Certainly open to some argument, but see this page and check crew: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/fac...et.asp?id=2649

Dewey, Cheatum and Howe are not cheap but they are good. :d
    Now now boys..

First, John, from your NASM reference - Crew: 12 Yes, but the base crew for a TB-50 would be pilot, copilot and Flight Engineer, leaving only 9 seats for the paying pax (and they paid for 10) -we'll assume the hijackers probably stood for the hop to MX85. Irrelevant, however.

Second, take a look at the original event thread for the official response (and where this debate should have gone for all to peruse...):mixedsmi:

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein