Wingman down safe.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

hmmm.. nice bounce Ed.. even showed in the Duenna
    Yeah it was a good bounce! Luckily the hornet is one of the most forgiving planes you can fly (or land). Note I also blew the climb and don't recall exactly when the best time to head down is or the overspeed numbers. Like I said need more practice in this one as I've been playing with the Epic.

Need to get another headset so's I can teamspeak again - maybe I'll remember tomorrow.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

I oversped the Hornet on my way down too, Ed. Only I did it for more than 35 seconds, since I wasn't paying attention to flying, and was busy typing enormously clever things in the multi-player chat box! Almost bit me good!
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

I didn't overspeed - just didn't remember what the overspeed number was so didn't know if I was even very close. I have notes on how to fly the plane or I'll just figure it out again if I can't find them - won't take too long.

For this practice looks like 8 legs left with one a shorty of 150 odd nm other than that one all 270+.

-Ed-
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post

For this practice looks like 8 legs left with one a shorty of 150 odd nm other than that one all 270+.

-Ed-
    I can name that tune in 7 legs...

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Hey All,

I didn't look that hard (just an atlas) could be 7 legs - yeah it is I just looked at a flight planner.

-Ed-

Since I'm new to this, I was going over the rules again and the legs that have been posted so far. Am I right in saying that, the leg I flew would have penalized our team because I went over an hour. Also, anytime that you use the wingman your also penalized, is that right?

Another question I had was before the actual race will you guys get together and map it out first. Then the team members will just fly the legs the way they are layed out? Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it right.

In the real race you get penalised for each minute over 2 hours,3 mins per minutes extra IIRC.Its over 1 hour here (without double checking the rules) There is also an absolute maximim flight time.You only get penalised if the baton holder crashes & the wingman takes over to land & thus carry on the baton(still easier than reflying a 2 hr leg!)

As far as planning goes,the general route is usually mapped out first(last year there was only ONE real way to go,usually there are more,and that makes it exciting as you se other teams veer off & you wonder if they had a beter idea!) Exact landing spots are usually left till later,dependent on weather,pilots availible etc. It used to be in the early days down to the baton pilot solely,but that has changed(perhaps for the worse it has ben said) as the rules get more complex

I have the baton-ULAA-UUYY,in Gnoopys P47(thought I would gie it a try!)

184nm out,ETE 35(ish)

baton free UUYY

OK,thats annoying,Green Dueena all the way there till I land,then yellow on the real Wx,as it says the last flight wasnt real Wx! I had it set up ,perhaps the net connection failed.Will this be valid,as it should hav shown from the start!The border is green so I suspect it's OK. I have real Wx on my default flight as well!?
    The flight went over a bit too-had an unexpected visitor & I wandered off course a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
    Since I'm new to this, I was going over the rules again and the legs that have been posted so far. Am I right in saying that, the leg I flew would have penalized our team because I went over an hour. Also, anytime that you use the wingman your also penalized, is that right?

Another question I had was before the actual race will you guys get together and map it out first. Then the team members will just fly the legs the way they are layed out? Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it right.
    Yes, you are correct about the 1 hour rule. However, what we wanted to achieve, mostly, with this practice was the basic procedures for conducting race legs - duenna usage, baton hand-offs, planning and thinking about the next leg, etc. The penalty for going over time would have been to delay the launch of the next leg by 3 minutes X number of minutes overtime, but we "waived" all that stuff for this practice.

Your second question is more difficult to answer because it has been the source of some contention recently. Last year we did in fact map out the entire race before the start of the race, but… But the rules say we’re not supposed to do that. But that particular rule has been “overtaken by events”, so to speak, due mainly to the increase in complexity in the rules over the years, resulting in a situation where it would be impossible to compete if the entire race were not planned in advance, despite the rules saying we’re not supposed to do that. And the other teams are probably doing the same thing. In any event, we were not “called” on this infraction, and probably won’t be again this year, if the rule is even left this year.

So, the short answer is yes, we will have every leg mapped out in advance this year before the race starts, probably…
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Nonno View Post

The distance on the legs in this practice was set to allow more (force more) pilots to fly in the practice. The one hour time was a target time for each pilot to allow for them to have a minimal amount of time in front of the computer to fly a leg. Lets face it most of us have real lives.

Your leg was good but it was also slow. We will need to get you into a faster plane (planes):icon_twi:. We have lists in the hide out of planes that we use they are mearly suggestions. PM PRB and advise him of your desire to join the team and he will give you access to the Hide out. Of course the same goes for any other new person.

These rules we are using are watered down rules compared to the race (thank us later). If you want to read the real rules they are here.

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/rules.htm

Keep in mind There are two sections.

The General Rules and Charter (half way down the page) Read this section first it is almost always the same year after year.

The Routing Rules at the top of the page. You can feel free to read them but the Routing Rules change year after year to keep the race fresh. Also in a sadist way to give a good number of members on each team an Ulcer.

Keep in mind you don't need to memorize these rules unless that is what you like to do. Just haiving some of them stored in your head is good enough.

This will be my third year on the team and each year the overall route has been planned out in advance. Last year we got into more detail and planned a good many of the legs in advance but most of that changed as the race progressed.

The weather will always dictate which legs can be flown when.

Ultimately each leg is the responsibilty of the pilot. Each pilot should know his skills and abilities while still being willing to step out of his/her comfort zone and fly harder and faster SAFELY. I say SAFELY because it is better to suck up a 6 to 12 minute of over time penalty then to use a 30 minute wingman transfer penalty or lose a leg completely.

The pilot must research his leg prior to taking off on his leg. You need to know what the destination airport is like before you fly into it. Some FS airfields have nice litte surprises waiting at them for unsuspecting Pilots.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I have the baton UUYY to USPP in DH Hornet
    Proud member of the RTW Team

Baton free at USPP
    Proud member of the RTW Team

Nice tailwind FB!

@ Kowalski: The P-47 is a high flyer, You're much too low at 21K. You need to be up at 32,400. You're throwing away upwards of 30kts speed down there I'd guess but would have to test for sure how much (plus potential better winds). Take her for a test and see. And congrats on the successful leg too!
    -John-

Thanks for all the info. I went with the 400 because I knew I could pretty well drop it in anywhere and I didn't know what I would be flying into. Once I got airborne I knew I was going to slow and I was flying right into the wind, so that didn't help either. I'm going to go back and fly some of the legs again with a couple different warbirds I have to see how that works out.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcook28 View Post
    Kowalski: The P-47 is a high flyer, You're much too low at 21K. You need to be up at 32,400.
    Cheers JC.I had a feeling I was too low,but didnt want to go back into the a/c selection screen to look at the figures,as my FSX takes ages to load that screen(guess coz' I have waaay too many planes in the hanger!) And I didnt want to risk faffing about with FSX files just in case.
    But lesson learned for next time!

SOH-CM-2016
    I have the baton at USPP heading to USUU in a Piaggio Avanti.
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

SOH-CM-2016
    Cruising at FL360, with a bit of tail wind. ETA 30 mins.
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

SOH-CM-2016
    ETA 10 mins.

SOH-CM-2016
    The baton is free at USUU.

I know how easy it is to overspeed the Avanti, so I made a very careful descent and approach. Probably too careful - I seemed to spend ages with flaps out and gear down ready to turn final, when I was still some way out. And even being careful I picked up 14 seconds of overspeed.

Have baton from USUU to UNOO in a garden variety P-51D.

Hey Moses, UNOO wx:
    vis: 1.9mi
    little windy: 220/33 ! on the ground
    -John-

Thanks-

At alt now ete :30+

Members who have read this thread: 0