Welcome to the Rise of Flight forum! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome to the Rise of Flight forum!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    I'm so excited about this sim and woff. After saving some money , buy quitting smoking, i'm building or have one built at a good local shop or, if capable,build one myself. Gotta do this quick because i want to use windows 7 64 bit pro as my os. Always have been interested in WW1 aircraft and the brave combat aviators who flew them. Upgrading a compac computer Mom and Dad gave me.Added another hard drive from my old comp,that had my 12 installs of CFS3,(os hard drive died on old hp computer),to the newer compac pc ,which then ,i guess,killed the compac's power supply.I know it's windows xp ,but not sure if its 32 or 64 bit and all i know about the cpu ,i'm shure it's a intel with a huge heat sink and is enclosed in a shroud /cover and has a big fan attached to the back of computer .The compac will play most of CFS3 installs,while the new computer will be used for CFS3/ETO,CFS3/PTO-Rising Sun,WOFF,and Rise Of Flight.Looking to spend about $1,300,more or less, if i build it my self.This is how serious i am about these WW1 simms.I'm really only interested in combat flight simms and nothing else , so i'm willing to spend some dough just for a few combat flight simms. Oh i forgot IL2,(got the whole series).Rise of Flight has me stoked .So much so,i'm quitting smoking to do all this , as i live on a fixed income. Combat flight simms and playing guitar are my two favorite hobbies. Can't wait to climb into one these WW1 fighters and go at it!!

Once you mastered the aircraft you won't be disappointed. Especially the graphics are extremely good. And this sim really gave me the feeling again I had with European Air War.

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries
    I remember EAW ,still have the boxed edition somewhere . Been into Micro Soft's CFS series since CFS1.My join date is incorrect Had to change things when i had to change my email address . Been at SOH since the beginning.Love all that's been done with it after CFS3,including OFF. OFF was a little too much for my old desk top comp.That's why i'm going to build one /or have one built for WOFF and ROF. CFS3 ETO and PTO/RS also included . ROF can't be too hard compaired to Lock-On , when it comes to the learning curve. Should be up and running ,hopefully by mid summer,maybe sooner.Wish more people were in this section of SOH. Peace my friends.(used to be known as sixstrings).

Blog Entries

Windows XP and ROF performance

How does ROF preform with XP ? I have a Dell desk top,(with upgraded/modded components), pentium P4 cpu ,4 gigs of ram DDR3,GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 gig video card and separate sound card and running Win.XP premium.How well will ROF run with this setup? Will still use my trusty XP computer, (still use it for my many installs of CFS3 and it's many versions ,also Il-2 installs,Strike Fighters 1 and many other combat flight sims). Unfortunately our clothes dryer and house heater unit all decided to quit at the same time. Should i wait and buy the latest version of ROF when i finish saving my money and build my high end gaming computer running Windows 7 64 bit for the newest and current combat flight sim.releases and not waste my time with using the ole' trusty Win. XP computer and save myself the frustration of the possibility of game stutters and slow fps? How well will ROF run on Win.7 64 bit O.S ? (Win.7 64 bit is going to be installed in the new gaming PC). Hopefully, sometime by late summer ,my ultimate gaming PC should be ready to go , if nothing else breaks!! Building my new computer only for the newest/current combat flight sims.avalible such as Flaming Cliffs 3,WOFF,the whole Third Wire Productions series and any new combat flight simulators that the future may hold.Read the requirements at ROF website. The system requirements listed Win.XP or Win.7 ,but what worries me is the minimum of 4 gigs of ram . That's all my XP PC has is 4 gigs of ram,( max for a Win. XP O.S.).Please ,can anyone tell me if it is hard to get ROF to work smoothly performance wise with Win.XP ? Can i at least run ROF with my Win.XP computer and hope to have a simple/easy install without jumping through hoops and doing this and that , for example ,as in getting CFS3 to work with Win.7.( Tried numerous times to install CFS3 and addons to no avail with Win.7) ? I'm a little dense learning a whole new O.S. like Win.7,just as i was getting good with XP they go and pull the rug out from under me!!! Really excited about ROF and WOFF simulators.A great important and interesting historical period in aviation history and from the reviews i've read ROF is one of the very best combat flight simulator ever created.How could i've missed out without knowing about ROF for so long?I guess better late than never!!! Any advice on using a XP O.S. PC with ROF is much welcome. Sorry for being so wordy,(no one to talk to about this subject/hobby).Just so excited about getting back into combat flight sims after being away, off and on , for a while now, but I'm not dead yet,(been into the wonderful Il-2 series and CFS3 with my many installs/versions a little bit when i can). I've also been having serious health issues for some time now ,which has set me back for a while with one of my favorite hobbies.So much has happened here at SOH since i've been away.I would check in here at SOH and other sites from time to time just to catch up on things about all the current and newest combat flight sims. available. ROF seems to be one of the very best combat flight simulator out there,according to the many reviews i've read ,(along with the awesome WOFF ,that will have to wait till the new computer is built).Thanks for any helpful advise on running ROF with my good ole' trusty XP computer. I just love those dangerous canvas and wood WW1 aircraft!! Love the ability also to purchase additional aircraft for ROF, at reasonable prices , to help support future work on this awesome combat flight sim. Another question,what is the name/title of the most current ROF release or version,(there is so many it's confusing ) ? Thanks again for any advice or help.
    Last edited by sixstrings5859; February 17th, 2015 at 08:56.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    RoF should work with XP accoring to their own system requirements:

Recommended System Requirements
    Operating System Windows® XP (SP2)/ Vista (SP1) / Windows® 7
    (SP1)
    CPU Intel® Core™ 2 Quad 2.6 GHz+ or Intel® Core™ i5/i7 2.6
    GHz+
    GPU 1024 Mb+, GeForce GTX 260+/Radeon HD5850+
    RAM 4 Gb+
    Sound DirectX 9.0c/11 compatible
    Free Hard Drive space 10 Gb+
    Internet Connection for Registration, Career Mode, Statistics Tracking, 256
    Kb/s - for Multiplayer

If you want tot try RoF and see how well it runs you can get a demo here: http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

As for the most current version: RoF comes with an updater that checks for the latest version at start-up. The difference between the available versions are the amount of aircraft and mods that come with the package, which you can also purchase seperately.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.