Adobe Photoshop Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Photoshop Question

Adobe Photoshop Question

Lets see. I'm doing quite a few repaints here lately. Adobe Photoshop 7.0. Then converting them through DXTBMP.

Creating a custom Alpha Layer is what I want to do. Generally I just apply the alpha over the whole thing and never worry about it. But I'm experimenting different methods to get better end results.

Here's my question I tried searching Google. But I couldn't find good results

Say I've got a specific layer that I don't want reflective in the end. How do I go about creating the alpha from that layer (and possibly other layers added to it later) to get the non-reflective final result when it's ran through DXTBMP, then viewed in the simulator?

Your help is greatly appreciated

It's been a while since I last did a repaint for FS9 but I think it's the same as for FSX re. the alpha channel for the diffuse texture.

Anything that's white in the alpha is 'flat' and anything black is super shiny ...shades of grey in between vary the amount of shine.

Regarding how to get the bits you want.....I usually select the bits from their respective layer(s) and copy/paste them into the alpha channel (in the 'channels' tab...if you don't have a channel layer called 'Alpha' in there make a new layer called 'Alpha'). Then you adjust the part's grey level to what you require.
    Larry

Hi OleBoy

What I do is that I normally duplicate the layers (OK, maybe not all of them) and then in the copy I change the colors into the necessary shade of grey to obtain the reflective effect for that particular layer and then save the PSD with the lot (I agree, it results in pretty heavy files).

Next is easy. Once saved, select the layers with color in the PSD, flatten the file, export as a BMP and use DXTBMP as normal to create the texture (as you do normally, I presume).

Here is the trick, go back to the original PSD, select only the copies and deselect the color layers, as a result you should have a map of greys with the reflective textures, the rest is easy, flatten the image, save as BMP with the name of your choice (I tend to use A(name of the texture).BMP.

Now, fire up DXTBMP, open the texture and assign as Alpha the map of greys you just created. Hopefully you should have your texture with the correct reflexions exactly where you wanted.

Hope it helps and in any doubt, holler :isadizzy:.

Saludos

Great info fellas!! I will work on this for end results.

Thank You...very much!!

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    That is good advice. I wouldnt collapse your stack though on your PSD file for the Alpha as you can change it around later. Simply burn a BMP from it and keep the PSD version stacked.

Since some files have non-reflective parts on the same texture as shiny parts (such as tires on a fuselage texture sheet), you will want the non-reflective zones pure white (256, 256, 256). Only the shiny zones should be the grays zones..

A quick way to create a Alpha PSD master file is to take your stacked layer and save it as 'Something_ALPHA.psd' then add a top layer and drop pure white on it with the paint bucket. Then create a new layer on top of that. Next, hold down the control key and click the layer icon for the shiny zones layer (usually a paint surface area layer for the entire shiny zone, such as the fuselage, wings, etc), and select the zones for that area. Now, with the newest top layer selected, click 'Fill' and fill those selection zones on the new layer and fill with a light gray of your choice.

Save, then burn a BMP from it and check in FS. Change as needed.

When you are in DXTBmp, you click the 'Add Alpha from file' icon (small folder with arrow, far left), and then browse to the BMP Alpha you saved from the Alpha master PSD file. Click OK and save as the format you need.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

SOH-CM-2024
    I do the same as Ascua OleBoy, I make a duplicate of the texture and name it with a _Alpha. Remember to use only gray scale colors in your Alpha. Use white for all items to remain matte, vary the gray tone for reflective surfaces.

But first of all, make sure the model will take an Alpha. I tried it on Piglet's Storch and it will not take one, any Alpha will make the colored textures transparent.

Caz

Lionheart, Cazzie, Ascua & Tako

Thank You All for the great information

I use nearly the same technique as Ascua....I duplicate the various painted layers and slide them to the top of the stack and recolor the parts with the shades of grays that I need for my alpha channels. I save this as a PSD file. Then I hide the alpha channel layers so that the painted layers show...flatten the image and save as a bmp.

Then I open the bmp in DXtbmp, then I select the import alpha button under the alpha window. When the dialog box pops up to select the image to use as the alpha, I select the "Any Image File" in the Files of Type box at the bottom. This will have the dialog box list the PSD files as well. Then I select the PSD file, the one I saved with the alpha channels visible, and import that as my alpha channel. Using this technique, I don't have to create a separate bmp file to use as an alpha channel, I don't have to try to remember which file is the alpha. One PSD file serves as my painting template and my alpha channel image. DXTbmp has no problems pulling a PSD in as the alpha channel...works like a charm.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Right OBIO, let me get this straight, you do not flatten, do not export as BMP you simply pull a PSD with the visible layers you want into DXTBMP, and that is it !!!??? I knew I was missing something!!

Got to try it!!

Genius!!

Thanks man!!

Saludos

Jose Angel "Ascua02"

PS: Have several cold ones on me!!

I flatten the main bmp (the actual paint job) but I do not flatten the PSD to create the alpha image. Saves time, saves a bit of HD space, saves confusion.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2014
    Caz has an interesting point.

Some FSX planes will not need or work with a Alpha. It can backfire. FS2004 is the one that really uses Alphas the most.

For an alpha to work as 'shine', the name of the texture must have a 'dash_T' at the end, such as 'chrome_T.bmp, or plexiglass_t.bmp or fuselage_T.bmp.

Make sure you do not change it from capital to small, or vice versa, but use the exact spelling of the author.

If it does not have the _T at the end, then adding an Alpha will make it transparent.

In FSX, you have some of the reflective qualities hard wired in, while at the same time, your Spec (specular) maps will have your shine embedded in it as well. But.... Again, the package 'must' have a specular map in it first. A person cannot just add one in as the model will not recognize it, as the model has the materials it will ever use built into it's code, so adding one that didnt exist when the model was compiled will simply not work.

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    I flatten the main bmp (the actual paint job) but I do not flatten the PSD to create the alpha image. Saves time, saves a bit of HD space, saves confusion.

OBIO
    okay, so I dont want to lose my stack, right? I got a good PSD all laid out.

in order to get the BMP of the actual paint job, should I duplicate what I need to another file and then flatten that dupe? or is there something simpler?

I need simplicity. file management with DXTBMP gets me purty confused.

good topic oleboy !

I been trying to get this mess since my last reply. Messing with the stack, turning off everything but the alpha template, saving as BMP, importing to DXTBMP, saving as 16bit, 256 color, into DXTBMT again to find all the windows either gray or black. Importing it back into photoshop, editing it more to what I think is right, saving it...............and on.....and on...and on.

I'll be dang if I can figure out how to make the alpha from the paint. I'm chompin at thebit right now I'm so frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by bpfowler View Post
    okay, so I dont want to lose my stack, right? I got a good PSD all laid out.

in order to get the BMP of the actual paint job, should I duplicate what I need to another file and then flatten that dupe? or is there something simpler?

I need simplicity. file management with DXTBMP gets me purty confused.

good topic oleboy !
    BP

Save the PSD file with the alpha layers on top and showing. Then hide the alpha layers and make sure all your paint layers are showing. Flatten then save that as a bmp.

Fire up DXTbmp, open the bmp into the main window. Then mozie over to the alpha channel and hit the import Alpha button (first one on the left under the alpha channel window)...when the box pops up to select the file, select the Any File Type at the bottom of the box...this will list all the files. Select the PSD that you saved with the alpha layers visible. Once that is opened into the alpha window, save the mess as what ever format you desire.

Using the PSD as your alpha channel image does not flatten the PSD file....you can go back into Photoshop and make adjustment to any and every layer like normal.

I have found that this system is easier than creating a dedicated alpha bmp and I have had far fewer cases of accidentally saving a flattened image as a PSD and loosing all my layers and work as a result.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don

I am going to send you one of my paint templates in which I have the alpha layers as part of the PSD files. Once you see it, you will get a better understanding of what to do. It really is quite simple. The hardest part is creating the alpha layers for insignia and lettering....but that isn't very hard once you get the hang of it. I think you are making it more complicated in your head than it is in reality.

Tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Tim

And I know it can't be that friggin hard. Heck..creating the repaints has taken me over a day at times..and I can't figure this out for the life of me. HAHA!!!!!!!

It takes a bit of practice....the main thing I would suggest is to always save a copy of your layered PSD image and keep it until the job is completely finished. That saves a ton of time if you need to go back for any reason.

Stefan

Don

I am going to send you one of my paint templates in which I have the alpha layers as part of the PSD files. Once you see it, you will get a better understanding of what to do. It really is quite simple. The hardest part is creating the alpha layers for insignia and lettering....but that isn't very hard once you get the hang of it. I think you are making it more complicated in your head than it is in reality.

Tim
    Not sure if Adobe has the same tools available as PSP but I create all Insignia or NoseArt as a separate layer. When I do the Alpha for them I copy the entire layer into the Alpha image as a new layer, then use the select/exclude tool and in most cases simply fill that area with either pure white or a very light grey.
    Flatten the Alpha and refresh it in DXTBmp and it's done.

Stefan

SOH-CM-2024
    Don

Tim
    Tim et al,

Tell you what, I'm in a tutorial state of mind this morning, I'll even show you the best way to make Alpha white for your insignia, codes, etc. Get ready to C & P, I'll be back in about three hours or so in the Paint Room.

Caz

I'll be watching for you. My head is fresh today after a good night sleep. Coffee in hand, and ready to get beyond this.

I've been experimenting this A.M. and I think I may have figured it out finally. But I will happily look through your tutorial to get the whole of doing this.

I flattened the image (after turning the layers off I didn't want in it). Then CTRL+C (then created a new layer) CTRL+V (paste) onto the new layer. I then chose the areas with the wand that I didn't want shine on, and made them light grey. Next I made sure all of the other layers were turned off..then saved it for a test.

Next I'll open the layer I want it used on in DXTBMP. Import the Test_Alpha to it....Then save it.

I'll post results after I see if it works.

End result in FS Repaint. When is the teacher getting here?

SOH-CM-2024

I just got back from viewing.

Thank You! VERY MUCH!!!

Hey Caz, and Obio, and Ascua2, and Lionheart, and Sunny9850

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your techniques with us. It's always interesting to learn how others do it. You never know what you might learn. Nothing like some Ole Dogs teaching other Ole Dogs new tricks. :ernae:

Duckie
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

SOH-CM-2014
    Awesome tutorial Caz!

:ernae: :ernae:

Well done..

Bill

Very nicely done Caz. I use PSP but it pretty much works along the same lines.

Stefan

Members who have read this thread: 0