what ground texture files y'all using?

Thread: what ground texture files y'all using?

what ground texture files y'all using?

Hi all,
    With so many great models and new ones coming all the time, FS9 is still getting better:ernae:.
    The only disappointment for me is that the ground textures really are starting to lag behind the rest of the sim. FSX does appear to have the edge, especially with the high res photoreal stuff. But I can't be bothered with the weaknesses, and have so much great stuff in FS9 it would be silly to change now.
    So what ground textures are people using - freeware and payware? (feel free to post pix). I fly mostly around NZ and Australia and have Holgers Swiss Alps textures as default (which look ok, better than default) as well as many photoreal bits from Godzone. In Australia VOZ is hard to go past, although it seems to corrupt frequently and cause ctd's.
    Any recommendations?

LPXO

The best ground textures I have used are those that come with Bill Lyon's Golden Wings 3 package....but then again, I fly low and slow or low and fast....high altitudes are for clouds and the Balloon Boy. I am going to figure out which textures are which so I can copy the Golden Wings 3 ground textures into my Silver Wings and "stock" intalls.

For cliffs, I use a freeware replacement set I found on Simviation.com....I did a thread on Making the Grand Grander in which I talked about a nice Grand Canyon mesh I found on Flightsim.com and the newcliffs.zip package on Simviation.com and gave the link to the replacement cliff textures.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cool Obio, I'll check it out. Grand Canyon is one area I love flying.

LPXO

I use Silver Wings. It's supposed to have the same ground textures as Golden Wings.

SOH-CM-2024
    GEPII and UT-USA, Canada, and Europe. Some photoreal (Mazzokan), some special scenery from the Czechs and Poles, VOZ, lots of small packages like Joe's Old Rhinebech. FSGenesis mesh all over.

Caz

SOH Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I use Silver Wings. It's supposed to have the same ground textures as Golden Wings.
    do you use this for the RTWR, too?
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

I use a photoreal grass texture in GW3, by Moskvin Stanislav. Found at Avsim. Really helps the ground alot. Be advised that this will change all ground textures to a shaggy look, snow and sand as well, but I can live with this. Here is a shot.

Just found and Re-installed Silver Wings, that is texture set I remembered and spend ages looking for! FS9 looks great again
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

Members who have read this thread: 0