Alphsim B-17D

Thread: Alphsim B-17D

Alphsim B-17D

I loaded the Alphasim B-17D in CFS2,FS2002, and FS9. It works great in CFS2, but it has problems in FS2002, and FS9. When you zoom out from it, its turns into a square wing and fuselage, with square blocks for engines. Also the landing gear will show as retracted. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

The problems you describe are not problems at all...they are simply manifestations of the fact that the CFS2 Alphasim B-17s were made for CFS2, and not for the newer sims. There is no way to "fix" this...other than obtaining the source code and reworking the model to function fully in FS2002/FS2004.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are two different version of the AS B-17. One for CFS 2 and one for FS 2002. Try downloading the FS version. That might solve the problem.

I've never flown it in FS 2002 or 2004 so I'm guessing a bit.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Unfortunately, the FS2002 B-17 files are either broken or gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't aware that the Alpha 'D' was multi-lod as it is rather FR heavy in my experience. I don't see a CFS2 version in the downloads here. Perhaps I have been working with the FS2002 version all this time.

SOH-CM-2022
    Hi OldWheat,
    I just checked the CFS2 AS B-17D with Aircraft Container Manager and it has 4 LODs. You might want to re-download the CFS2 version to make sure you have the right model.

Gavin

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    I tried but the only Alpha B-17D's that I can find are those uploaded by Capt. Mercy & myself. I don't see a CFS2 specific D model in Alpha Oldies.

This is the one I have installed. I think it is the multi-LOD one. Unfortunately I can't remember were did I get it from.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwheat View Post
    I wasn't aware that the Alpha 'D' was multi-lod as it is rather FR heavy in my experience. I don't see a CFS2 version in the downloads here. Perhaps I have been working with the FS2002 version all this time.
    Wheat, I have B-17-D from ALPHA, the text file makes no mention of FS2002 just CFS2. I downloaded this plane from the Outhouse on 11/14/09 to fly intercept missions against in Quick Combat with early model Zeros, Claudes, and KI-27s. Look in the Outhouse CFS2 add-ons for aircraft for the US. I lucked into this download, I was looking for a B-17 prior to the -E model. I wanted an early operational B-17 with the "bathtub" gunner position rather than the ball turret of the -E. As I write this I located the aircraft in the Outhouse. If you set the number of aircraft in your browser at 15 per page it will be on page 7, and the link is:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...&ammm=15&pap=7

I hope this helps.

Bones
    My Dad's last words to me were, "Son, an eagle may soar to great heights, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine..."
    And then he died...
    He was sucked into a jet engine...

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    That's Captmercy's re-do of the B17D that I uploaded which I now suspect may be the non-LOD version.

Miketull: Where did you d/l your Alpha B17D's from?

Quote Originally Posted by oldwheat View Post
    That's Captmercy's re-do of the B17D that I uploaded which I now suspect may be the non-LOD version.

Miketull: Where did you d/l your Alpha B17D's from?

Thanks Wheat. That's the one I have. I guess to be a "completest" I downloaded the one Japlance gave us above. Capt. Mercy's is 11 meg long. I havene't flown it, just used it as a target in early Jap fighter intercepts.

Bones
    My Dad's last words to me were, "Son, an eagle may soar to great heights, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine..."
    And then he died...
    He was sucked into a jet engine...

FWIW, I have all the original AlphaSim freeware B-17 files for both FS2002 and CFS2 (that is, D F and G for each sim - 6 files between 1 Mb and 1.5 Mb each),
    regs,
    Ro

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    Gavinc just sent the model that he has confirmed has LODs & it is indeed the same as the one that I have. But it still doesn't have the kind of FRs that most multires models have @ a distance. Very strange, you don't suppose that Alpha included specific AI models with their fortresses do you? Again, Miketull where did you d/l your models from?

Alphasim B-17D

I downloaded from the CFS2 downloads. thanks for the comback everybody.

There used to be an E model for CFS2 and FS2002 as well. It was actually called the Fortress IIa as it was in RAF paint...but it was an E model.

There are so many files missing from the CFS2 library...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    There used to be an E model for CFS2 and FS2002 as well. It was actually called the Fortress IIa as it was in RAF paint...but it was an E model.

There are so many files missing from the CFS2 library...
    I might have that.... let me look.

WH
    With the wisdom of an owl, the courage of a eagle and the grace of a hawk,
    May you fly through the heavens and always land clear. — Unknown
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    The CFS2 fortress IIa is still there & is a good link.

CFS2=
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...pap=9#download

Fortress IIa

As I recall from Alphasim's advertising, the Fortress IIa by AS is not multi LOD. No issues though as I don't think that the British ever flew them in large formations.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

THE RAF used the Fortress for coastal patrol and anti-shipping/anti-submarine duty. They generally flew solo and relied on all those machine guns for defense.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0