Game Controllers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Controllers

No kidding Chacha, if you have never checked them out, they are way cool. On some of the keysets you can get up to 6 shift states so you can program most keys with 5 functions besides the normal function, I have never gone beyond the second shift state but it looks like it would work fine, the main problem I see would be remembering the functions or printing out the mapping would give you a huge printout to scan. Attached is a shot of my basic key layout for X3 Terran Conflict, these are mainly the functions I do not have on the X52 HOTAS, I also have a few more on the smaller Fang but they are mostly duplicated on this one.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Retired SOH Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte View Post
    No kidding Chacha, if you have never checked them out, they are way cool. On some of the keysets you can get up to 6 shift states so you can program most keys with 5 functions besides the normal function, I have never gone beyond the second shift state but it looks like it would work fine, the main problem I see would be remembering the functions or printing out the mapping would give you a huge printout to scan. Attached is a shot of my basic key layout for X3 Terran Conflict, these are mainly the functions I do not have on the X52 HOTAS, I also have a few more on the smaller Fang but they are mostly duplicated on this one.

I like it... it is so cool.....

I have to find it before Christmas, and put it under the tree... 21 days till Christmas

***Whew.... it is a long wait, Harleyman! I agree with you now...

It is a long longggggggggg wait! :isadizzy:

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, I got the Logitech Dual Action PC game controller. It's not bad but a PITA to program a profile. Still trying to figure it out to get the controls changed. Some you can change but then it messes up other things. It's not as easy to do for X3 as it is for other sims.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

The one HUGE selling point for me was the use of the mouse instead of a controller. For some reason ALL my USB ports are not functioning/communicating.

To go from using the mouse to interact with X3 to flying using the mouse, it is only a spacebar click away.

I've been using my mouse and the game controler just sits collecting dust. I've been trying to make a profile but the changes to the controls don't want to work. I'll keep the thing and use it for some other game. So far my MX Laser wireless mouse has been working great in X3.
    Gary -

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
    I've been using my mouse and the game controler just sits collecting dust. I've been trying to make a profile but the changes to the controls don't want to work. I'll keep the thing and use it for some other game. So far my MX Laser wireless mouse has been working great in X3.
    Im really impressed with the mouse control as well GT. I didnt think it would be that addictive and easy. For space and extreme combat, it almost works better then the joystick! lol.. Its quicker..

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Well I just unwrapped X3 and am going to install in a minute, after I read the beginner thread here of course. Going to see if my old Sidewinder Precision 2 will work for me.
    Some of my favorite sites,

Dog rescue, Mostly Dalmatians and Beagles
    http://www.rockyspot.org/index.php

Big cat rescue, Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!
    http://www.gwpark.org/

Quote Originally Posted by RickN View Post
    Well I just unwrapped X3 and am going to install in a minute, after I read the beginner thread here of course. Going to see if my old Sidewinder Precision 2 will work for me.
    Rick you are in luck, th esidwinder is the stick they use in the manual and as long as it works on your system (i.e it's not analog, meanign it's digital and connects with a USB) you should be fine, the manual pictures the Sidewinder and has all of the buttons preassigned so you should be good to go.

See Ya round the Stars...
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Rick you are in luck, th esidwinder is the stick they use in the manual and as long as it works on your system (i.e it's not analog, meanign it's digital and connects with a USB) you should be fine, the manual pictures the Sidewinder and has all of the buttons preassigned so you should be good to go.

See Ya round the Stars...
    That is I can get the freaking game to start. Trying to use Windows 7 and X3 seemed to install just fine, but when I go to start the game it says I need to be logged on as admin. I am logged on as admin!!! I have tried 6 times and tried tweaking the Windows settings with no luck.

Taking a short break before introducing my PC to another Christmas gift, a 357!!!

That is I can get the freaking game to start. Trying to use Windows 7 and X3 seemed to install just fine, but when I go to start the game it says I need to be logged on as admin. I am logged on as admin!!! I have tried 6 times and tried tweaking the Windows settings with no luck.

Taking a short break before introducing my PC to another Christmas gift, a 357!!!
    Step away from the puter, and take a deep breath... put yourself in a happy place...

OK now lets try this again (BTW I use Win 7 and I have no problems so this is just some minor annoyance which we will fix up post haste....) OK, there are a couple of things you can try, the first and probably easiest is to right click on the Icon, and select "Open File Location", you will see the X3 Folder and the X3TC.exe or X3Reunion.exe file will be highlighted, now Right Click on that and from the new context menu select "Properties". When the Properties page opens up select the second tab - "Compatibility", now look to the bottom - the section titled "Privilege Level" and add a check mark to the box beside "Run this program as an Administrator", click OK and ry again.

I have found that even if you are logged in with an account that has Admin privileges UAC will still block many programs that are in the Program Files Folder, so the above is recommended, and it has worked for me.

The other option which is a little more of a PITA, is to remove the game and reinstall but this time install it in any folder outside the C:\Program Files folder, I have used a second hard drive for some of my programs so what it looks like is this - E:\Program Files\Ergosoft\X3 Terran Conflict . Either method should work but the second will bypass UCA and is probably the better method overall.

If the above does not work let me know by posting back here or sending me a PM I am sure I can help you figure out some way to make it work. besides we need the help out there in the XUniverse there are allot of nasties out there...
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have one of these in the basement, lol. I used it years ago to play EverQuest and have that keyset. I'll have to jump to their site and check out what they have available now.
    Matt

Step away from the puter, and take a deep breath... put yourself in a happy place...

OK now lets try this again (BTW I use Win 7 and I have no problems so this is just some minor annoyance which we will fix up post haste....) OK, there are a couple of things you can try, the first and probably easiest is to right click on the Icon, and select "Open File Location", you will see the X3 Folder and the X3TC.exe or X3Reunion.exe file will be highlighted, now Right Click on that and from the new context menu select "Properties". When the Properties page opens up select the second tab - "Compatibility", now look to the bottom - the section titled "Privilege Level" and add a check mark to the box beside "Run this program as an Administrator", click OK and ry again.

I have found that even if you are logged in with an account that has Admin privileges UAC will still block many programs that are in the Program Files Folder, so the above is recommended, and it has worked for me.

The other option which is a little more of a PITA, is to remove the game and reinstall but this time install it in any folder outside the C:\Program Files folder, I have used a second hard drive for some of my programs so what it looks like is this - E:\Program Files\Ergosoft\X3 Terran Conflict . Either method should work but the second will bypass UCA and is probably the better method overall.

If the above does not work let me know by posting back here or sending me a PM I am sure I can help you figure out some way to make it work. besides we need the help out there in the XUniverse there are allot of nasties out there...
    My happy place is starting to be forgetting my 357s and going straight for the 44 mag.

I tried what you suggested first and it keeps telling me it needs to install TAGES drivers but has to be admin, which I am.

I guess the next thing to try is uninstalling and trying again.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Im sorry Rick that you are having troubles getting it running.

I wonder, can you start Win7 in safety mode and install them? Does that allow clearence to install things?

After a few months of vista, I walked away from windows. I was hoping Win7 was a vast improvement.

I hope you get it working right.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

All right Rick is jumping on board (hopefully). Lets hope that he didn't get any ammo with that new pistolly. Never mind, I'm sure there is plenty of .44 to do the job. The more ammo the better is the way I think.

I'm glad you guys are helping him out, I'm tipping my hat your way. Good job gents.

OK I got it!!! I googled TAGES Drivers and found an installer that cleared up the whole problem. Downloaded the update and getting ready to install it now.

Marlin I am a shooter, reloader, and member of a large gun club. I have the ammo.

Mmmmm, drool .:tgun2: ......................:mixedsmi:

Super good news Rick, I'm happy to hear you got it running.

OK I got it!!! I googled TAGES Drivers and found an installer that cleared up the whole problem. Downloaded the update and getting ready to install it now.

Marlin I am a shooter, reloader, and member of a large gun club. I have the ammo.

***Note to self - Never... Never... NEVER...!!! Pl$$ OFF Rick, smile and say Yes sir Mr Rick Sir, - you want me to jump, certianly and when should I land...
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just checked and saw that BestBuy supposedly carries the ZBoards...... order online only. 2 weekdelivery sucks too. Looks like a great investment tho... thanks Mike for the headsup on it.
    Gary -

I just checked and saw that BestBuy supposedly carries the ZBoards...... order online only. 2 weekdelivery sucks too. Looks like a great investment tho... thanks Mike for the headsup on it.
    GT if you have an EB Games close by check them, they did carry the ZBoard products - thats where I got mine. If you order one I recommend the Gaming board it comes with a Gaming Keyset and a regular Keyset so you can swap out very quickly.

Oh and if you do get one here is another tip, the ZBoard and your regular KB can be used at the same time, so you can reprogram every key on the Zboard and still have access to all the normal key strokes on your regular board, as long as you have the desk space...

I did a FSX layout for them on the regular keyset and on the WOW layout, there was significant interest at the time by a couple of the engineers but they got moved to another project and that never went anywhere.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mike, all the EB stores around here have been closed since GameStop bought them out. I'm surprised there are any EB stores anywhere, but I do have the online EB Store link.

I used to ride by the EB headquarters up in West Chester, PA but that's even gone since the sale.
    Gary -

***Note to self - Never... Never... NEVER...!!! Pl$$ OFF Rick, smile and say Yes sir Mr Rick Sir, - you want me to jump, certianly and when should I land...
    Not to worry, I would never shoot someone just for ticking me off.

Inanimate objects on the other hand, well lets just some things blowed up real good when hit by the right bullet. :tgun2:

Kind of glad I did not post a pic of my gun safe.

Mike, all the EB stores around here have been closed since GameStop bought them out. I'm surprised there are any EB stores anywhere, but I do have the online EB Store link.

I used to ride by the EB headquarters up in West Chester, PA but that's even gone since the sale.
    I see on the SteelSeries Site Gamestop sell the line, it is also avaliable online through New Egg and Amazon.com. I know before Radio Shack sold the Cdn divsioion to "The Source" they carried it here but I do not see it listed on teh vendor site so you would have to check them.

Good luck and if you get one let me know I can send you the Xr Profile I use of you want, it works fine for both Reunion and TC no change necessary.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good luck and if you get one let me know I can send you the Xr Profile I use of you want, it works fine for both Reunion and TC no change necessary.
    Yep, I'm going to look around stores here or get one from online. That is a cool piece of hardware Mike, I like it over the Logitech G series keyboads with the game pads built in. When I find one I will let ya know.
    Gary -