Best FSX helicopters now?

Thread: Best FSX helicopters now?

Best FSX helicopters now?

Hi!

What are best helicopters for FSX now? Is there any good freeware ones? If I would like to buy 1-2 payware products what should they be?

Nemeth designs always have good helicopters, I have MD500, Super Puma and (ND + MILVIZ) Huey

Cera 412? is it good?

Dodosim 206 nowadays, is it still best or is somebody done better helicopter?

more?

Thanks!

The Dodosim 206 still reigns supreme!

...and I wouldn't count on that changing until they release their Huey.

My personal favorite is the "Pyro" by Mick Posch. You can see it here:
    http://secure.simmarket.com/pixel-cowboys-pyro.phtml

He did a beautiful job on both the interior and exterior. It's a blast to fly and while I know it isn't a production heli (yet), it pushes the envelope of what will probably be possible at some point. In any current heli, you're speed reaches a wall and that's it. You can push it faster in a dive probably but it'll fall apart eventually. In the Pyro, straight and level. . .close to 300kts!

This gem has been out for over a year, yet I rarely see anything about it. Don't care in the least what the purest will debate about rotor tip speeds and how impossible it would be to actually push a heli to those figures. . .it's fun, it's beautifully designed and the price is very reasonable compared to other payware products.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Blog Entries
    Anything by the Nemeths are excellent. Some are simple, some are complex...depends what fits your mood. Awaiting the arrival of the Erickson Skycrane and MD Helicopters Explorer. Bell 430 in the near future is planned

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by anatolpopov View Post
    Cera 412? is it good?
    it is

my FSX Payware helos are
    ND 500 Defender, ND EC-135, ND/Milviz UH1, Alphasim Blackhawk, Alphasim Blackshark, Alphasim Dauphin, Alphasim AH-64A Apache, Alphasim Westland Merlin HM.1 , Alphasim CH-46 Sea Knight, Alphasim MH-53J Pavelow III, Cera Bell 412

think I am quite an helo freak

I started out learning to fly helicopters in FSX with the Just Flight Schweizer 300CBi, which in real life is one of the most common used student training helicopters in the world. It was one of the first payware ones released for FSX, and my first payware helicopter. But it still looks good, and the sounds are great. It is reasonably priced now, and is a fairly good flight model. I still like to fly that one occasionally.

The Dodosim 206 is the about the closest you can get for accuracy with FSX. It will even keep track of maintenance costs, if you want it to.

I have the Cera Bell 412 as well, and find I fly that one the most. I think it has the most accurate looking virtual cockpit, to me personally. The flight dynamics are really well done, you just don't have all of the "bells and whistles" like Vortex Ring State, as the Dodosim 206 has.

I too have about every payware helicopter out there as well, all are fine especially the Nemeth Designs. Their MD500 and EC135 are my favorites and probably would be #3 and #4 respectively on the most flown list.

As to freeware, Mick Posch also has an excellent Piasecki H-21C available here: http://www.mickposch.com/flightsim/fs_freeware.htm

Alphasim also released it's Sikorsky S-55/H-19 as freeware, which was available on AVSim.

Currently being worked on, and hopefully released "soon" is the "Helicopter Total Realism 1.0" physics library addon, which will finally give the default helicopters, including the Acceleration EH-101 the much needed attention and accuracy they deserve. This add on will also be able to allow users to create realism profiles for any helicopter they have in their virtual hangars.

"No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

dennison
    Dodo and the Cera 412 are both great, i have them both and love them.

Top quality freeware is the H21c available at hovercontrol in the fsx aircraft downloads section . (It's fsx native).

The Pyro:

Current System Specs:

As Mick Posch says: "Reality is fine…but don’t forget to have fun!"

The Pyro is pure fiction and is impossible under current technology. The rotor RPM simply would not allow possible flight at 330 Kts. At that speed, the advancing blade could have a tip velocity of no more than 340 ish knots (speed of sound being the limiting factor at around 670 Knots). Under normal conditions a rotor blade cannot fly faster than sound (OK, there are special rotor tips that allow transonic rotor tip speeds.

But at 330 knots you have the retreating blade almost dead in the air. And more to the point, that is at the tips. The more you come inboard, you will find the inner ends of the blades flying backwards through the airflow.

As they say, the Pyro would never fly in real life. But if it did, it would be hellishly "interesting" - imagine a helicopter that is capable of twice the average speed of today's best helis...

Have fun and remember "Reality is fine…but don’t forget to have fun!"
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

I have Mick's Pyro as well, and yes it's very fun. I still fly that as well. I just personally wouldn't recommend it to someone starting out in rotorcraft in FSX. I don't want to give that person a heart attack.

Once you got hovering down, and transitioning into and out of hover, you bet! It is a great helicopter to learn quick stops on, well, because that's the only way to stop that small beastie.

EDIT: Never could quite get it to the top of Everest, in and out of the base camp was about it...

only flight the lite version of the pyro once (hm maybe I purchase full version around christmas)

that are the default rotor blade textures?

Is there big difference between default R22 and Schweizer 300? Id like to start studying flying helis in FSX.

What's best to start, should I continue with R22? I have trained hovering, flying (keeping altitude), turns and basics.

Next and bigger is something with turbine, maybe MD500 what I already own (Can somebody do Finnish repaint, military or civil), or B206.

Is there any businesscopters yet for FSX, like Sikorsky S71 or A109 ?

And many thanks for your replies! Somebody want fly in multiplayer? contact me PM please

i just fly the default fsx r22 just flight....i like the small helo's...

Quote Originally Posted by anatolpopov View Post
    Is there big difference between default R22 and Schweizer 300? Id like to start studying flying helis in FSX.

What's best to start, should I continue with R22? I have trained hovering, flying (keeping altitude), turns and basics.

Next and bigger is something with turbine, maybe MD500 what I already own (Can somebody do Finnish repaint, military or civil), or B206.

Is there any businesscopters yet for FSX, like Sikorsky S71 or A109 ?

And many thanks for your replies! Somebody want fly in multiplayer? contact me PM please
    The Schweizer is more accurate. Truthfully, I despise the default R22's FDE right now. I know many have commented the same, it's like being on the end of a large rubberband. As I mentioned earlier, HTR 1.0 should hopefully solve that.

However if you have gotten hovering down with the R22...

I would actually recommend heading over to Hovercontrol (HC):
    http://www.hovercontrol.com/

If you go to HC's "All File Downloads", then scroll down to "Add-ons - Revised Configs - FSX", there is a file in there called "FSX_206_Update". That was done by Jordan Moore. It is a more accurate FDE for the default 206. I think Jordan is currently working on a freeware Schweizer for FSX.

Or...

If you are very serious, maybe it's time for the Dodosim 206 for FSX instead? :d
    http://www.dodosim.com/fsx206dynamics.html

It has everything, including retreating blade stall, vortex ring state. 5 levels of realism, including an accurate start up procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Txmmy83 View Post
    . . . .that are the default rotor blade textures?
    Yep, I don't think anyone has done a replacement texture, although I would imagine one of Bob's rotor textures would probably work, I just haven't tried it.
    Rotor textures and prop textures for the most part aren't high on my list of must haves, lol. I don't spend much time looking at those really.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yep, I don't think anyone has done a replacement texture, although I would imagine one of Bob's rotor textures would probably work, I just haven't tried it.
    Rotor textures and prop textures for the most part aren't high on my list of must haves, lol. I don't spend much time looking at those really.
    Bob did one specially for the Pyro
    Pyro_Rotor.zip herein the SOH file Library

Charter Member 2015
    There are a few freeware FSX native helos.....Piglet's OH-6,Bruce fitzgerald's Hughes 269C and Mil Mi-8, and there's also a military MBB Bo-105available.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Just tried A109 garnier port doesnt look too bad
    and an other update found at simviation

This guy is AMAZING
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nguT6WUoLaY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nguT6WUoLaY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Have somebody tried FSHelis Alouette or Lama? Are they good?

gajit
    Yes - I often fly both and love the different underslung loads.

Never got air sick ,until I wondered what that pilot must have gone through. Can the Bell 47 perform that well?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    My personal favorite is the "Pyro" by Mick Posch. You can see it here:
    http://secure.simmarket.com/pixel-cowboys-pyro.phtml

He did a beautiful job on both the interior and exterior. It's a blast to fly and while I know it isn't a production heli (yet), it pushes the envelope of what will probably be possible at some point. In any current heli, you're speed reaches a wall and that's it. You can push it faster in a dive probably but it'll fall apart eventually. In the Pyro, straight and level. . .close to 300kts!

This gem has been out for over a year, yet I rarely see anything about it. Don't care in the least what the purest will debate about rotor tip speeds and how impossible it would be to actually push a heli to those figures. . .it's fun, it's beautifully designed and the price is very reasonable compared to other payware products.
    I like the Pyro,too, but my digital altimeter doesn't seem to work. It is stucked at "0" all the time. Anyone here has the same problem?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]