Eagles are not going away!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles are not going away!

Eagles are not going away!

Darn! That Eagle sticky thread has passed out of our lives...

I was exchanging mails with a real world Eagle owner yesterday and he asked what his idea would look like.

Take some of this:

It is a fictional registration and a (still) fictional paint, but I think it could catch on. Although he did like the idea of a chromalusion black/blue base coat - which at $ 40 per OUNCE would make the plane a tad pricey...
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

Chris, that's awesome... I wannit... that's my new ride!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CBris View Post
    It is a fictional registration and a (still) fictional paint, but I think it could catch on. Although he did like the idea of a chromalusion black/blue base coat - which at $ 40 per OUNCE would make the plane a tad pricey...
    Sheesh... now even FS aircraft repaints are getting more more costly too !

Fascinating design work, Chris !

GaryGB

No fascination please Kurt did all the work, I just coloured in the outlines
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

that's pretty cool

it made me wonder about something. remember when the color morph paints were popular on cars and bikes? i wonder what that would do for plane?

I remember when I first saw chromalusion paint and it was at Charlotte Motor Speedway on the # 24 Superman car. Man under the lights that paint job was trippy.One corner the car was gold. The back stretch it was green. Turn three it was Maroon. lol if a plane was really painted like this that would be awesome to see at an airshow. Good job on the repaint.

I LOVE that paint scheme, great job !

If I were ever fortunate enough to own a real Eagle it'd be hard to choose between that one or something like this:

http://www.musclebiplane.org/htmlfile/photos.htm

Check the nice shiny red one out on the link above, 10th photo down. Chris, that one would look excellent in fsx *hint *

Darrell

Oh yes, the David Wolf paint. I have been looking for good photos for a while, but I can't seem to find a contact address. But astronauts are, of course, "sheltered".

I have a feeling that the pattern would actually look better in a two-tone metallic silver style. Maybe it even is?

No fascination please Kurt did all the work, I just coloured in the outlines
    At last... a "Paint By The Numbers" kit for the masses by Eagleskinner !

OK then, if Chromalusion is out of one's budget, can we at least get a Day-Glo version for that cool color combo ? :isadizzy:

< Ahem > Yep, I've already got a Black Light in my hanger for my collection of posters (and my Elvis painting) on the walls ! :d

Regardless, a fun and very striking alternative to the default "rainbow of feathers" Texture.N75CE livery seen in the original LIC Eagle for FS2004 available here:

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004props77.htm

NOTE: The AVSIM download of that original aircraft was still unavailable today:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php...4ac&DLID=71513

PS: Do you know of a better FSX port of the LIC Eagle for FS2004 freeware aircraft which can be downloaded somewhere ?

FYI: The only other one I've found so far is here:

http://www.simviation.com/fsxprops15.htm

Thanks for your many great contributions to the FS Community, Chris ! :ernae:

GaryGB

The LIC Christen Eagle is still available on Flightsim.com There is a transparency fix there too

I see that some / most of my files are still unavailable on Avsim. I still have the originals somewhere - I really must try and find the time, but if you want the "asymmetric" model so that you can paint both wings different, then you only need to download one of my asymmetric paints. They all contained the modified mdl file that Kev Lechmanski kindly did for us and gave me the permission to distribute.

There is the "Carolls" Disco skin on flightsim.com - look for textcaro.zip

Thanks for that lead, Chris... I'm off to flightsim.com do some "Eagle Hunting" ! :

[EDITED]
    Found the file(s) !

So IIUIC, to make this baby work in FSX Acceleration one needs the...

original Long Island Classics "LIC Christen Eagle II" package:

http://flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEA...e=LICEAGII.ZIP

and the Chris Brisland "FSX Acceleration Christen Eagle Fix" package

http://dfs2.flightsim.com/kdlr.php?fn=fsxafix.zip

GaryGB

Yeah, Eagles aren't dead yet!

STOP PRESS:

That paint is up on my site. Follow the link in my sig and go to the repaints pages / Christen Eagles.

Scroll down.

Help yourselves.

Have Fun!

Looks Great Chris ! :

Since I didn't see this in a "Read Me" file accompanying your texture set, I need more advice...

Should the would-be user edit this line in their active FSX.CFG each time before starting up FSX with intent to fly your new livery ? :iidea:

[GRAPHICS]
    TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

...Or should they instead use:

[GRAPHICS]
    TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

Also, should they copy:

prop_blurred.dds
    prop_blurred_R.dds
    prop_slow.dds
    prop_slow_R.dds

...from:

[FSX install path]\SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS Christen Eagle II\Texture.VH-KAZ\

...to your installed folder:

[FSX install path]\SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS Christen Eagle II\Texture.N29KH\

...for a "proper prop" ?

Thanks again; I can easily see why there's so much to like about this fabulous bird ! :d

GaryGB

A fair question Gary and one I keep forgetting to answer. IRIS actually put the prop textures into the paintkit so that users can repaint them. I long ago put a generic copy into the "Common" folder and keep forgetting to place a set in a new paint. So unfortunately I also forget to add the prop tectures into the new paint zip folders.

So yes - if you have a paint of mine that throws up black props, simply copy a set of the four prop textures over from an IRIS "delivered" paint.

As for texture sizes - well, this does seem to be debatable. I always check my fsx.cfg before every session and set the texture_max_load to 4096 because I have mostly that size on my PC. The debate is "do we need this?" Some say yes, some say no, some say only if you have mip maps...

Again "Mea Culpa" Gary and all readers. Most graphics cards and computers these days can handle 4096 pixel textures, so yes, set 4096 in your "TML" - but then you'll have to make a habit of it, because FSX resets to 1024 if there are any strange faults during a session.

If your TML is at 1024, then FSX will automatically re-size any texture sheet to that width (the fuselage sheets, for instance, will resize to 1024 by 512).

In that way, you always have a fall back to standard sized textures adnd will not see any FPS issues. When you set TML to 4096, you might notice a slightly longer load time and a very slight drop in FPS. Well, unless it is something like the Catalina, which has thirteen texture sheets - so if you make textures and bumps in 4096 pixel sheets, you end up with 26 x 15 MB extra to load (almost 400 MB)

So to sum up - I will put a short dissertation to this effect in my downloads notes.

[added later]

OK, I have added some "wise words" on my site in the Eagle paints download page and also in the "Workshop" section to cover things like props, image sizes and cube maps,

gajit
    I will if Chris is not working on it? :ernae:

Go for it Gajit - I am doing a HD set for the Colibri right now and "could be busy a while"

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Very cool colors Chris. Nice work man!

:ernae:

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Seriously eye-popping, great work!
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

gajit
    Go for it Gajit - I am doing a HD set for the Colibri right now and "could be busy a while"
    TX - oh no - in that case I might have to buy the Colibri if your painting it!!

tigisfat
    Now if only IRIS would fix that friggin' beating durm noise in the cockpit due to inferior looping....

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    Now if only IRIS would fix that friggin' beating durm noise in the cockpit due to inferior looping....
    I'll give him a hint... and about the other things too

Oh... going totally off topic - 4096 texture set plus new bumps - also 4096. Here's a couple of w-i-p shots with some of my own crits...

My biggest single crit is that Nemeth have not used the same scale for the wireframes between the tailboom and the main fuselage, so objects that align on a single side view of the whole heli will need a stretch/skew to line up. The left side view is after a first correcion correction, the close-up view on the right hand side is as created in vectors - notice the amount od stretch needed. PITA! One of my biggest moans about paintkits is this kind of sloppiness - just to fit the objects onto a texture sheet.

Oh well...

gajit
    Interesting Chris - your work is always incredible - meanwhile i am here with this... Still bits to do.

gajit
    Finished - any last comments or suggestions before i upload here?