'Watched The Movie "Star Trek" Last Night'...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Watched The Movie "Star Trek" Last Night'...

'Watched The Movie "Star Trek" Last Night'...

Good movie but boy am I glad I got the pre-quels...

Funny how none of the stuff about Ambassador Picard, Captain Data, etc was mentioned in the movie...

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Hey Panther,

Great movie.

Yes, some wild changes. Remember, this is the first Enterprise. Picard and Data arent born yet. (or made). This is Kirks first voyage.

I thought they did a good job on creating Scotty, lol..

Everyone's kids in the newest movie. Crazy.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Plus they changed the future as well.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hey Panther,

Great movie.

Yes, some wild changes. Remember, this is the first Enterprise. Picard and Data arent born yet. (or made). This is Kirks first voyage.

I thought they did a good job on creating Scotty, lol..

Everyone's kids in the newest movie. Crazy.

Bill
    Yes I know they weren't born yet - but knowing the prequel events definitely helps one understand the movie....& the movie did NOT fully explain the reason behind Nero's anger...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    Plus they changed the future as well.
    Definitely...
    Since "now" in the future, neither Vulcan nor Romulus exists....

Lionus
    not quite, Panther.. the original time line that we know and love still exists with Vulcan but sans Romulus. This new alternate timeline is now without Vulcan, which gives the script writers a chance to rewrite trek history. I believe it will be more action.. well, lets say that it will probably have more "negotiations with phasers as soon as diplomacy seems to fail."

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Lionus View Post
    not quite, Panther.. the original time line that we know and love still exists with Vulcan but sans Romulus. This new alternate timeline is now without Vulcan, which gives the script writers a chance to rewrite trek history. I believe it will be more action.. well, lets say that it will probably have more "negotiations with phasers as soon as diplomacy seems to fail."
    Since when,
    Vulcan was destroyed in the past....so how is it present in the future? - Where has it been said that this is an alternate timeline?

My understanding is that the destruction of Vulcan in the movie spawns an alternate time line. This allows writers for future movies/shows to NOT have to deal with decades of story continuity from all the other movies and shows in the Star Trek franchise.

Lionus
    Trek has dealt with alternate timelines before. Trials and tribble-ations, all those mirror universe episodes with xenophobic Terran Empire etc. Spock Prime (old spock from primary time line) , Narada and Nero were from the future, post dominion war era.. and this matter was loosely explained in the movie as well, amongst technobabble, lens flares and shaky handcam.

Cratermaker; actually it was the destruction of USS Kelvin that spawned the alternate timeline.

Cratermaker; actually it was the destruction of USS Kelvin that spawned the alternate timeline.
    Ah yes, you are correct of course.

i saw it a little while back. i didn't want to like it but i did.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    lolololol.....

ha ha...!

:d

I hate it when that happens.. Some movie that looks really goofy that all the kids are liking, and it ends up being awesome.. Superman was brilliant.. Never thought I would say that..

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Lionus
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post

It's the music that made me like it, same guy did the musics for popular PlayStation game series called Medal Of Honor, hence why I expected the nazis to show up during the movie.. and they did! but they were disguised as bald, tattooed Romulans..

sadly, lens flares and shakycam irritated me beyond belief.

Thumbs up

Watched it when it first came out...thought it was a load of rubbish.

Pity the scriptwriters couldn't keep to the main characters (Kirk) early life story line, but turning him into some ill-disciplined spoilt brat just to get the younger generation into the cinema's was horrible to watch.

Collin:ernae:

That's funny Panther because we watched here at the TeaSea household too.

It was pretty much what I expected....entertaining...and that's about it.

Which was all it was intended to be, so that's okay.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Lionus
    Don't be sad, at least one thing has stayed as it was back during TOS era, judging from the fanfiction sites.. K/S-fiction.

Charter Member 2016
    I saw it tonight (rental) and I agree with Collin. A cheap tactic in the storyline to develope the youthful Kirk. I give the whole thing a C+.
    "Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

Question

So where has it been categorically stated that there are 2 'official' timelines ?

Yep. I'm off on a triade...

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Watched it when it first came out...thought it was a load of rubbish.

Pity the scriptwriters couldn't keep to the main characters (Kirk) early life story line, but turning him into some ill-disciplined spoilt brat just to get the younger generation into the cinema's was horrible to watch.

Collin:ernae:
    Boy I totally agree. I frankly don't understand why people like this movie, sorry. It's just pure garbage, in my own, personal, opinion.

The movie alone has very little plot, and it was so poorly written, Leonard Nimoy had to came out of retirement to save it with the whole timeship/red matter story. I could go on and on with the glaring plot holes but why bother. The fact is, it's a typical J.J. Abrahms mess, as most of his "movies" are, and only intensifies this haphazard disaster of a flick. A movie of nothing more than visual special effects of explosions for two hours with some sexy scenes added in. That's all, folks. The only thing it shares with the original Star Trek is strictly it's title.

The only thing they got right is that this is totally an alternate universe not connected at all to the original Star Trek one. The names of the characters just happen to be the same.

The fact is Star Trek didn't need to be "re-made", it was doing just fine as long as the good writing and directing continued. That's what made it great TV in the first place and why its persisted for almost 50 years. Gene Roddenberry's vison offered a better, hopeful future where people had honor and integrity. Something that is very lacking in today's society.

And face it, honor and integrity just doesn't fit into Paramount's corporate money making policy of stamping out assembly style, schlock, formulaic movies of the present day. Quality story just no longer matters as long as you make a buck off of the masses. That's how most movies are judged by Hollywood these days. Box office receipts.

BTW, and finally, setting the record straight. James T. Kirk was born in Iowa, but he grew up on the colony on Tarsus IV, he was a witness to a massacre there by Governor Kodos when he was thirteen. His father and Lt. Mallory, a security officer on board the USS Enterprise would inspire him to join Starfleet. His first assignment after graduating Starfleet Academy was under Captain Garrovick, on board the USS Farragut. Kirk had a rapid rise through the service, and after making Captain, was assigned the USS Enterprise. His father lived long enough to see James become a Captain. He attempted to rescue his brother George on the Deneva colony when it was attacked by an alien species. And Kirk would later accept Mallory's son aboard his ship as a junior officer.

"No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    So where has it been categorically stated that there are 2 'official' timelines ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film%29

Star Trek is a 2009 science fiction film directed by J. J. Abrams, written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, and distributed by Paramount Pictures. It is the eleventh film based on the Star Trek franchise and features the main characters of the original Star Trek television series, who are portrayed by a new cast. The film follows James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) and Spock (Zachary Quinto) before they unite aboard the USS Enterprise to combat Nero (Eric Bana), a Romulan from their future who threatens the United Federation of Planets. The story establishes an alternate reality<sup id="cite_ref-mtvalt1_4-0" class="reference">[5]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-mtvalt2_5-0" class="reference">[6]</sup> through time-travel by both Nero and the original Spock (Leonard Nimoy), freeing the film and the franchise from established continuity constraints.

Lightbulb

Alright - Thanks Dain...

Now about the thousands of other 'alternate realities' (Mirror Universe, etc....)

I guess that means the "Enterprise" series is an alternate reality too...

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Alright - Thanks Dain...

Now about the thousands of other 'alternate realities' (Mirror Universe, etc....)

I guess that means the "Enterprise" series is an alternate reality too...
    Well, according to most fans...Yes. "Enterprise" was something else...

SOH-CM-2014
    He (Kirk) attempted to rescue his brother George on the Deneva colony when it was attacked by an alien species. And Kirk would later accept Mallory's son aboard his ship as a junior officer.

Dain Arns
    Sounds a little bit like ST TNG / Picard who had Wesley Crusher (and his mother) on the Enterprise, who was his best friends son and who also had been killed.

Some very interesting things in there I had never known about. Kind of makes me wish they hadnt changed it so much.

My thoughts are that they will find a way to save the Vulcan homeworld, repairing the past. Thats my hunch. I hope I am right. Would be great for a play on time travel and quantum physics..

Bill

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    My thoughts are that they will find a way to save the Vulcan homeworld, repairing the past.
    Bill
    Which goes back to a previous post of mine about "tech"....

'Captain, there is a theory that if we "tech" the past, then Vulcan will exist again...'

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Boy I totally agree. I frankly don't understand why people like this movie, sorry. It's just pure garbage, in my own, personal, opinion.
    i think that's why i was able to like it. i knew going in the trashed the history,
    so i watched it not as a star trek film, but as an action/adventure movie. mindless entertainment. like i said, i didn't want to like it. that's because i knew they threw the story line out the window. at that point, for me, it wasn't star trek anymore. it was an adventure movie. i wouldn't have paid $$ to see it. if it wasn't free, i still wouldn't have seen it yet.