GEX Europe has been released! - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GEX Europe has been released!

Quote Originally Posted by ICDP View Post
    Thanks Roger, dappled is a great way to describe the look I am refering too. IMHO (based on real photos and what I see every day with my own eyes) the 'dappled' effect is too heavy in GEX Europe, it just doesn't look realistic.

When I am flying around in Ireland and the UK I don't think wow, I think bleh, looks like lumpy puke. Thanks for all the screenshots proving my point guys. Thanks Cazzie, those screens you posted show exactly how poor GEX Europe looks. Everything looks so subdued and monochrome, even the browns have a green look to them. That dappled effect is just so wrong, they tried to make it look 3D but instead it looks like everything is made up of large dots.
    F1 has a generous 30 day money back guarantee.

As mentioned, F1 has the 30 day return policy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.flight1software.com/files/f1cert.gif[/SIGPIC]

Thanks guys, good to know I have that option.

I am not sure if there is something wrong with monitor settings, color profiles, AA/filtering settings, etc however this is the Cliffs of Dover area on my system in Winter, Summer, Fall and Spring

When autogen is used it becomes quite obvious the relief that is shown, which is usually a crop in a field, is quite in scale with the autogen.

I had UTX running as well as SceneryTech LC layered with UTX for the veg LC and it was also enabled. The only thing different I did with UTX was disable UTX roads in the scenery library because unless I need them for VFR (especially at night) I dont use them that often.

[SIGPIC]http://www.flight1software.com/files/f1cert.gif[/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2024
    Fantastic shots Nick.

I was capturing video when I did those screens and I always turn off Auto-gen to increase frame rates. At altitude, FSX looks better without Auto-gen IMHO, the terrain textures and bumps are good enough.

Caz

Blog Entries
    Thanks for replying Nick,
    as I said in my earlier post, I'm confident that GEX Europe will get better as the updates come out.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Regards,
    Ian.

Few more outside Innsbruck,Austria

Couple More..

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Didn't quite escape.
    I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the "dappling" effect is caused by a slightly overzealous bump map as it looks very similar to what happened when I put bumps on my grass textures for incredibly-simple-scenery-object-#1.

I can't say I'm overly fond of it from screenshots, but to see Britain green again, I could be tempted.

Looking at the screenshots, I think I'm going to give it a miss.
    While it looks a whole lot better than default, it still looks a bit too unnatural to me. I can't really put my finger on what is wrong, but it does not feel right. Could be the colors, could be the texture layout, or a combination, but I have not yet seen a single convincing screenshot.
    Somehow, FTX Australia looks more convincing, so I guess I'll stay down under for now.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I absolutely love it. I think the textures are top notch!

As long as you have good landclass and the freeware autumn texture pack why leave these textures behind?

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I do like the very dark, summer trees in Nick's screenshots. Where are they from, they're not default?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Euroflyer
    From the screenshots I have seen I am disappointed at how default this GEX_EU looks, the colour just looks fake/wrong

Cheers
    Euroflyer

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    As long as you have good landclass and the freeware autumn texture pack why leave these textures behind?

What a fantastic shot!!!!!!

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Yes, great shot!

I can almost feel the air.
    Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post

Now I'm well confused - best looking screenshot in the whole thread (by a mile) and that's not GEX? I have bought it to try because a) Nick N is a sort of benign FSX god and b) you can't say fairer than a 30-day money back guarantee, but so far I'm slightly struggling to see the advantages. I'm hoping it will grow on me.

I have bought it to try because a) Nick N is a sort of benign FSX god and b) you can't say fairer than a 30-day money back guarantee, but so far I'm slightly struggling to see the advantages. I'm hoping it will grow on me.
    Same as me. While it may be the best texture/autogen set avaliable for Europe (especially urban and night), I'm not really sure if the difference between this and some freeware textures I had installed previously is worth 45$ to me. Still, I have 26 days to make a decision
    Mike

As with many replacement textures GEX is also very much dependant on the individual and personal likes or dislikes of the user. They do IMHO really stand out compared to the default stuff, though the sharpened - mock high reslution look - might turn off certain users.

The textures really shine in urban areas and the winter textures are great. Whereas the dotty grass on airfields is a bit disturbing. Together with some decent landclass the overall look is good, though - even though I like it - I would not go as far as saying this IS Europe as it is in reallity.
    But then this is no photoscenery and landclass based textures and autogen can only be limited as to create realistic scenery! You get a pretty good new look if you do not expect miracles.

Great work so far, but there´s potential for updates, too IMHO.

Regards
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

Where would I find the freeware autumn textures?

Avsim, search term: "Adam Mills".

Still undecided whether to get GEX or not.

Didn't quite escape.
    My problem is going to remain. Neither Adam Mills, nor from what I've seen (admittedly limited) GEX, offer what I want, which is compact European-type villages.

The farms have got better over time, but the villages and towns are still far too open plan, buildings too far apart. However, until such time as I can learn how to make my own textures to generate landclass off, I guess I'm stuck with what I have.

I think Ultimate Terrain X Europe does address villages. GEX of course will vary based on the landclass (default or 3rd party). In UTX, since you have roads and intersections, and landclass, you should get more accurate village representations.
    Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

Members who have read this thread: 1