Etendard IVM WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Etendard IVM WIP

Dag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I'm a fan of 2048px textures as they offer more space to map stuff while reducing draw calls.

I wouldn't make my textures any other way. In fact, my Do-328 uses 2048s only. And with DXT compression, you'll save a few MBytes as well.

Ton Étendard est un travail excéllent Sylvain!
    You certainly have a point there Björn, but it depends on how things are mapped. To merely resample the resolution 200% on a say, previously sized 1048 pix VC main instrument panel textures, would have a performance hit in one way, especially load time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    You certainly have a point there Björn, but it depends on how things are mapped. To merely resample the resolution 200% on a say, previously sized 1048 pix VC main instrument panel textures, would have a performance hit in one way, especially load time.
    Yes, of course. Simply blowing up the resolution without extensive rework afterwards isn't gonna help.

My textures are *native* 2048s, say mapped on a 2048²px large "canvas" (or workspace or base, whatever you call it). I was even playing with the thought of using even less 4096²px "canvases" but this would mean that people like Peter with lower end PCs had to sacrifice even more quality upon downsizing as well as an awfully increased workload on the computer and concerned programs upon editing textures. A single 2048px texture file with 20+ layers already takes a toll on my PC, with twice the size even my quad core would burst into flames when running Max 9 and FSX plus GIMP (or Photoshop) at the same time.

Those 2048 textures are just about perfect. They offer a nice increase in detail as well as lots of room to map less important parts on which in turn helps performance.

JamesChams

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sparouty View Post
    Hi guys and thanks for your nice comments!

To answer to the texture question: I try to be very carefull about this point. I use 2048px textures for the external model in order to keep the fuselage and wings in one piece and have a good rendering. For the interior model, which is still under progress, I don't use for now any large texture. The main panel (which is the larger object) doesn't seem to need a 2048px file.
    For the moment, I made the choice to have only 1024px textures to prevent me from some "texture lag", and trust me, the result is sharp...
    For larger texture like 4096px, my computer can't manage such size. Having Photoshop, with all the needed layers open with a 4096px texture is definitely not possible with my system...
    Mr. Sylvian "sparouty,"
    2048 seems to be a happy compromise for all, it would seem... But, it wouldn't hurt to give users choices, is MHO. It seems that if one has a system that is *better* than the average, why should one not expect more??? However, learning that you cannot produce it due to your own system's limitations is understandable for a freeware.

BTW: Merci! ... for these model(s).

====================================

RE: Other *Attack* posts by users here...

Frankly, this constant "Whining"-posts, which leads to pointless temper-tantrum arguments about nothing, simply because one's system does not "hacking-it" (when it comes to FSX's potentials) is getting rather old, real fast. I've seen many of you do this in almost every forum. It looks to me like you'll have moved from whining about "FS9 vs. FSX" to "My (hardware's) FPS in FSX because of..."

Meaningless input?

What, like asking someone to magically enhance the textures to double or quadruple their native resolution? Your comments couldn't me more meaningless, hence my correction. No mud-slinging here, just the statement that I assume this developer isn't a wizard.

Now let me find that enhance button in photoshop.........
    Mr. Skittles,
    I see NO reason why anyone cannot state an opinion (even if it is drastically different than "yours" or your "friends") without having a group of you'll "like-minded fanatics" gang-up against that individual or specifically, me, in this case. You'll do this everywhere you can and its totally *meaningless* rubbish that pleases no one. So, Stop it, Seriously! :salute:

The developer is definitely smarter than you (or me)... so, don't worry about what he can or can't do; just let him/her speak for themselves without needing your input to create unnecessary drama in their post. My request(s) were directed to Mr. Sylvian; Did I ask for your input? (Certainly NOT). Direct your opinion to him if you like, but DON'T attack me or mine because you *FEEL* you can; I believe that SOH forum rules refer to conduct, perhaps everyone as of late, should revisit that post?

Staff,
    I'm dropping these pointless discussions and let cooler heads prevail... No matter what else is said. If they cannot continue to be civil, I'll limit my discussions with ONLY the developers.

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

Thank you very much.
    Sincerely,
    From,
    James F. Chams

Quote Originally Posted by JamesChams View Post
    ...I'm dropping these pointless discussions and let cooler heads prevail...
    Thank you!

Looking good, Sylvain!

I remember seeing some video a few years ago of these type planes from the Argentine Navy shooting approaches to a US carrier, as it made a transit around “The Cape”, from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Evidently there was an agreement with the Argentine Navy that allowed them to practice carrier landings on USN flat tops when one was near by. Not sure if this was before or after the Falklands War, but I'll guess it was before... It was cool seeing those “unusual” (for a US CV) shooting touch and goes!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by JamesChams View Post
    Mr. Sylvian "sparouty,"
    2048 seems to be a happy compromise for all, it would seem... But, it wouldn't hurt to give users choices, is MHO. It seems that if one has a system that is *better* than the average, why should one not expect more??? However, learning that you cannot produce it due to your own system's limitations is understandable for a freeware.

BTW: Merci! ... for these model(s).

====================================

RE: Other *Attack* posts by users here...

Frankly, this constant "Whining"-posts, which leads to pointless temper-tantrum arguments about nothing, simply because one's system does not "hacking-it" (when it comes to FSX's potentials) is getting rather old, real fast. I've seen many of you do this in almost every forum. It looks to me like you'll have moved from whining about "FS9 vs. FSX" to "My (hardware's) FPS in FSX because of..."

Mr. Skittles,
    I see NO reason why anyone cannot state an opinion (even if it is drastically different than "yours" or your "friends") without having a group of you'll "like-minded fanatics" gang-up against that individual or specifically, me, in this case. You'll do this everywhere you can and its totally *meaningless* rubbish that pleases no one. So, Stop it, Seriously! :salute:

The developer is definitely smarter than you (or me)... so, don't worry about what he can or can't do; just let him/her speak for themselves without needing your input to create unnecessary drama in their post. My request(s) were directed to Mr. Sylvian; Did I ask for your input? (Certainly NOT). Direct your opinion to him if you like, but DON'T attack me or mine because you *FEEL* you can; I believe that SOH forum rules refer to conduct, perhaps everyone as of late, should revisit that post?

Staff,
    I'm dropping these pointless discussions and let cooler heads prevail... No matter what else is said. If they cannot continue to be civil, I'll limit my discussions with ONLY the developers.

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

Thank you very much.
    Sincerely,
    From,
    James F. Chams
    Why is it that if you have a contradicting opinion you are branded a like minded fanatic?

James you just don't get it. Open a picture in paint. Zoom in. Watch what happens.

This is a forum James. People use it to post comments. If you want private conversations take it to PM. Unless over the past 24 hours the internet itself has inverted, forums are a place for people to post messages and opinions. In fact, here is a definition; "a public meeting or assembly for open discussion." When you request high resolution textures that are not native you are requesting 50/100 hours worth of work for each resolution, not to mention that the original references will most likely not be suitable.

If you don't like people posting discussions on a discussion board then there's something wrong somewhere.

harleyman
    And we are done......

this is going nowhere now...

great freeware...Thank you sir...We all appreciate your great work and efforts...

lets take up developing matters with the developor if we can...

Maybe it would be best if everyone just took a deep breath. Is the entire month of May a full moon around here or what? All this over a request to make high resolution VC textures? Really? Everyone knows what everyone else meant by now. It's sad that the impending release of this beautiful airplane has been marred by this ridiculous bickering. All hands give it a rest!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2