DC3 Deluxe Sounds

Thread: DC3 Deluxe Sounds

DC3 Deluxe Sounds

Earlier this evening, I was stretched out on my belly on the livingroom floor, using my wife's laptop to unpack some of Leon Louis's scenery and getting it put into a centralized scenery package, watching TV and being attacked by the KITTEN....he's huge...barely 5 months old and HUGE. On the boob tube, the movie Richy Rich...the one with the Home Alone kid....was on. In one scene, Richy Rich's parents were boarding what looked like a DC3...but it had a longer, more tapered nose....but the rest of the plane was DC3...maybe that is how a DC3 is supposed to look and not like the one in FS2004...never seen a real one. Well, anyhow, when they fired up that plane in the movie...pure music!

Came in to the office to install the unpacked Leon Louis scenery and to test some of it out. I selected the DC3 to use as my test plane. Fired it up....and it sounded nothing like the one in the movie. So, shut down the sim, fired up Audacity...and made the sim DC3 sound as close to the one in the movie as I could.

Stock internal sounds were replaced with the stock external sounds...no more whisper quiet cockpit. Then the external sounds were amplified and bassified. Much much better. Throatier, louder, deeper, richer.

I uploaded the pack to the CFS2 Sound library. Not sure when it will be available for downloading. Will be uploading to Flightsim.com as well.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't know how the aircraft in this movie sounds like, but I'm privileged to see and hear a real C-47 above Berlin every now and then:
    In my ears, the unbeatable rendition (up to now...) of the true Gooney sound was made by the people of MAAM-Sim! This is the way a Dakota sounds like.

But we have a saying here in Germany:
    "Nothing is that good that it couldn't be made better!"

Looking foreward to your sound magic!

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with you, Markus. Actually I have been a member now for 27 years of the Dutch Dakota Association. Have been on board many of 3 C-47A's of the DDA and 2 C-47B's of Air Atlantique (Pratt & Whitney R-1830 engines). The two remaining DDA C-47s fly over my flat quite often. The only conclusion I can draw is that the sound included with the MAAM-SIM R4D/DC-3 set is the best around. (Trev Morton has also done a darn good job).

Makes me curious to your approach to the R-1830 sound. Good luck. :ernae:

Cheers,
    Maarten

Well, I guess for the three or four of us who don't have the MAAM Dakota, this sound pack will be an improvement.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...I can personally testify to the internal LOUDNESS of a C-47. Took a 20 minute evening flight ($75.00) a few years back in a C-47 made up to look like 'Puff the Magic Dragon' used in Nam. It was a constant roar that bombarded you as a passenger. No wonder a lot of long term prop pilots loss most of their hearing in time. A case in point was Paul Tibbetts,....of Enola Gay fame. He was near deaf at the end of his life.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Thanks Tim (OBIO). Up at flightsim now.

With good company, too. Trev's work Has been around for a long while and is very nice as well. The two make a nice mix from one paint scheme to the next. (I have the MAAM pkg, too, so also utilize those in the DC3 mix)

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Sound CFS2/FS2004 Douglas DC-3 Deluxe Sounds
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: dc3deluxesounds.zip Size: 10,919,956 Date: 11-18-2009 Downloads: 145
    CFS2/FS2004 Douglas DC-3 Deluxe Sounds. The stock FS2004 DC3 sound pack made to sound the way it should: louder, richer, throatier, deeper. Full package. By Tim Dement.

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Sound FS2004 Douglas DC-3 Sound
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: dc3sond.zip Size: 17,149,586 Date: 08-29-2003 Downloads: 5,909
    FS2004 Douglas DC-3 Sound. These sounds feature the famous DC3 Pratt & Whitney hum. Sounds were recorded inside and outside of N763A using three microphones. They were then put through an equalilzer in a sound studio and converted to .wav files suitable for flightsim use. By Trev Morson.
    Brent aka "dogknot"

Thanks Tim, I am using the Delux sounds on my DC-3s.

Ed

Hi,

A great set of sounds! thank you. A much more interesting rumble.
    Andy.

:ernae::ernae::ernae:...wonderful upgrade OBIO!
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    In one scene, Richy Rich's parents were boarding what looked like a DC3...but it had a longer, more tapered nose....but the rest of the plane was DC3...maybe that is how a DC3 is supposed to look and not like the one in FS2004...never seen a real one.

OBIO
    Did it look like this one

This is a DC 3 that has had the engines upgraded to Turbo Props.

I had a talk with the owner who of this plane and he explained when they upgraded the engines they had to change the nose as one of the things to get the balance right. They also added another fuel tank towards the front of 175 gals if I remember what he said correctly.

http://missionaryflights.org/about-mfi/the-fleet

They operate one DC 3 with the engine upgrade and two with the conventional radial engines.

While these still have radial engines they look like the longer nose on the turbo prop.

Of course the turbo prop conversion will sound nothing like the radial engine.

The benefits of converting the plane to a turbo prop are small (in his words). They both end up burning the same amount of fuel.

Technically the turbo prop burns more per hour but you get where you are going much sooner with the turbo prop.

The traditional DC-3 / C-47 had a less pronounced point.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

The engines were the standard radials...otherwise I would not have gotten all worked up over the sound of them...but the nose was more like the one in the pic you posted, Dave. Looked a lot like this one:

http://www.etc-cte.ec.gc.ca/organiza.../dc3_large.jpg

and this one...minus the floats.

http://www.flyingboats.ca/_common%5C...lane-N130Q.jpg

or this one:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/au.../10/22/dc3.jpg

And speaking of DC3/C47s on floats...I really need to convince myself to sell some blood and buy the MAAM package....if for no other reason than to have the float version.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Make it so!

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    ...I really need to convince myself to sell some blood and buy the MAAM package....if for no other reason than to have the float version.
    Believe me, mate: You won't regret it!
    Not just because of the floats...
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

my since of all things being old and beautiful has just been shaken up..........Torbo props on a DC-3.......BLASPHEMY, but God can i fly it!!!!!!
    "Thats some of the best flying I have ever seen, upto the point that your dead, Never ever leave your wingman!"......Jester, Top Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Believe me, mate: You won't regret it!
    Not just because of the floats...
    God I love there DC-3 and TBM, and I am now trying to convince myself to buy the B-25.
    "Thats some of the best flying I have ever seen, upto the point that your dead, Never ever leave your wingman!"......Jester, Top Gun

Unit453
    Wow, those do sounds incredible. I'm a sucker for props anyways so anything thats a ton throatier that makes my neighbors get upset is great...!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy1968 View Post
    God I love there DC-3 and TBM, and I am now trying to convince myself to buy the B-25.
    The only thing I've purchased from MAAM is the B-25. It's incredible in FS9 and there is a fix file to make it work fairly well in FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

SOH-CM-2019
    Hi Obio,
    Sorry I am late onto this one but I think I may know why the DC-3 in the Richie Rich movie sounds like it does.
    The DC-3 (it is actually a C-53 ex military variant) used in the movie N147M was rebuild by Bashler Turbo Conversions, the same people who do the DC-3 turbine conversions with Pratt and Whitney R2000 radials from a DC-4/C-54.
    It also has a speed kit consisting of the extended nose streamlined engine nacelles with full landing gear covers and prop spinners.

I came across this site just now that has sound samples taken from this airplane.
    Might be usefull to you.

http://www.centercomp.com/cgi-bin/dc3/sounds?13

Scroll down about half way to were it says "sounds by museum staff".

Here is a photo of the airplane in question

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Dougl...2dfac9c8b6b7e1

I have downloaded your sounds and will try them out.
    Love your work.

Cheers.:ernae:

Nambus

Thanks for the link. The R-2000 sounds will definitely come in handy as that is one of the sound packs on my to-do list (R-1535, R-2000, R-1969 Hornet, Wright R-975 Whirlwind). I have a post-it note stuck to the bottom edge of my monitor reminding me to do them.

Yep, that was the plane in the movie....such a looker!

Tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 1