Just getting started

Thread: Just getting started

Smile Just getting started

Still need some more info (signage, etc) if anyone is there. Ships, an airfield, lighthouses...what more can you ask for?

Jim

Looks fantastic, Jim! A naval counterpart for your Hickam hangars, perchance?

Happiness Consultant
    Ummm Mayport?
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Actually, this is just a couple of notches shy of being totally insane.

This is Naval Station Mayport. For years, the Atlantic Fleet's training carrier used to be homeported here, the USS Kennedy being the last one. It has Mayport Light, a defunct lighthouse built in the 1800's and St. John's Light, a Pharos style lighthouse on opposite sides of the base and maybe a gazillion buildings on the piers and balance of the base...it'll take me a while. Many cruisers and destroyers make Mayport their home and there are more helicopters between here and NAS JAX than about anywhere else in the world.

This will be an ideal place to check out your ship handling skills with some of the pilotable craft available for FSX. Or put AJ Weber's LPH on autopilot and fly helo missions. I'll keep a couple of ships at the piers for practice and the Helo Landing Spots on the west approach to the airstrip have standard cruiser deck markings as well.

It should be out some time this century....

Outstanding, Jim! The last time I was at Mayport was in 1990, when departing onboard the Sara for my last Med cruise. I look forward to this one, as do all of your creations!!!

NC

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Nice work!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Happiness Consultant
    Not that I've ever been stationed there, I haven't. But there is an obvious reason I recognised it ... I use to drive by it every day, but since I changed jobs I don't go near it ...

However, I'm still in Jax and if I can get permission from the base to photo shoot, I might be able to drag my 35mm over there and take pictures for you one afternoon.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Amazing!

Thanks, Ted. I'm looking for stuff like the lettering on the side of the main hangar...there's a logo on the other side, etc. stuff that makes it look lived in.

Best!

Jim