Golden Wings Question

Thread: Golden Wings Question

Golden Wings Question

I am about to install GW3 and I just wanted to know - will it work with my FSglobal mesh?

Thanks

Wink

Hi,

If it can help ...
    I use Silver Wings with all the Genesis meshes .. and no probs so far !!
    Must certainly be the same for Golden Wings and FsGlobal meshes .. IMHO

I have Golden Wings and Silver Wings installed...two installs dedicated to each...and a couple stock installs. I use Rhumbaflappy's LOD5, 7 and 8 mesh in all 6 installs. The only thing that the mesh does is render the shape of hills, mountains, valleys...basically it creates the world's skeleton. Everything else, from the terrain bmps to the air ports to the trees, sits on top of the mesh.

With aftermarket mesh like FSGenesis and Rhumbaflappy's stuff...their will be more incidents of the stock scenery settings conflicting with the new mesh. Lets say that stock FS2004 mesh has Mansfield, Ohio (my home town) at 1268 feet Above Sea Level....and the airport flattens are set at 1268 feet ASL. Then we swap in a more detailed and more accurate mesh which has Mansfield at 1245 feet ASL. The difference between the new mesh's elevation and the stock flatten will result in KMFD (my home airport) being on a small plateau. The airport will still work...you will just see it on a flattened hill. The more accurate (higher LOD) the mesh you are using is, the more likely you are to see such anamolies.

I was flying out of Yellowknife airport yesterday and found that for some distance around the airport, every small lake was elevated about 40 to 60 feet above the surrounding ground level. The lakes were set to match the stock mesh....then when I swapped in Rhumbaflappy's more accurate and higher LOD 5/7 mesh...the world changed but the lakes stayed in their original locations.

Will GW3 work with FSgenesis and other mesh sets...yes...but be prepared to see an increase of airports and lakes either down in deep valleys or on top of hills as a result of the disparity between stock flatten altitudes and the more accurate altitudes from the replacement mesh. I don't notice all that much...but sometimes I come across one of these new mesh vs stock scenery conflicts that simply jumps out and smacks me on the forehead.

Sorry to be so long winded....but that is just part of my personality.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Guys, I will give it a shot and see what happens!

Members who have read this thread: 0