Beaver/R-985 Sound Pack

Thread: Beaver/R-985 Sound Pack

Beaver/R-985 Sound Pack

I just uploaded a sound pack for the de Havilland Beaver or any plane that uses a single Pratt and Whitney R-985 radial engine. This is not like other sound packs....this one has no manners. It is loud, rumbly and RUUUDE! Just the way I like them. This sound pack was tested by a fellow site member who spends ample time at the controls of a Grumman Ag Cat (also R-985 powered) and he said that it is the closest to the real deal he has heard in flight sim.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Awesome! Mike

SOH Staff
    today?
    here?
    in the Add-on Library FS2004 Sounds?
    I am blind as a bat.
    I do see the P&W R-1394, though
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks again Tim for the new R-985 sounds
    :ernae: :ernae:

Pete.

Smilo

Sometimes it takes a day or 5 for uploaded files to get approved and moved over to the download library. Our staff is busy fixing issues left over from the Great Server Crash of 09, so they don't always get things from the upload library to the download library as quickly as some would want...and they have jobs and family and friends and such that they want to spend a little time with at some point.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work Obio, I love the beaver and looking forward to getting the pack loaded.

Thankyou, Tim, for this soundpack. It certainly is "meaty"! Nicely done!

Here's another fun bird that uses this engine/sound pack very nicely:

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Early Aircraft FS2004 simTECH Beech Staggerwing D17
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: sim4stag.zip Size: 31,556,788 Date: 08-31-2005 Downloads: 5,717
    FS2004 simTECH Beech Staggerwing D17. This is the FS2004 version of the simTECH Flight Design Beechcraft Staggerwing D17. This is the full commercial version that was formerly a payware add-on. Now this is freeware and fully functional as it was as a commercial add-on. Set in a full extractor with all original liveries this will install the aircraft to your default aircraft directory. There will be no support on this add-on, all copyrights still apply. By Tom Wood/simTECH Flight Design Ltd.

===========================

Hint-hint: If I recall correctly, Milton's Beechcraft D18S has two of these 985 powerplants mounted up.
    Brent aka "dogknot"

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by dogknot View Post
    ....... Hint-hint: If I recall correctly, Milton's Beechcraft D18S has two of these 985 powerplants mounted up.
    The only thing that sounds better than a P&W R-985 .... is two of them

Pete.

I am working up a twin engine sound pack using the "new" R-985 sound files. Be a day or two before I have it fully tested and uploaded.

A note on engines and planes. There were many planes that used the R-985....and each of those planes had different sounds due to various differences in exhaust manifold shapes and lengths and where the exhaust exited the plane. While this new sound pack works great for the Beaver, Ag Cat...it wouldn't work so well on a more civilized plane like Milton Shupe's Spartan Executive. Same engine used, but the Spartan had a much more refined exhaust tone internally and externally due to a much more elaborate exhaust system. I doubt many people would have used the Spartan as their business/luxury plane if it had a very harsh internal sound problem. For planes that require more delicate sounds, I highly recommend Mike Hambly's BA_GBR.zip sound pack on Flightsim.com. That package is not a completely developed package...but I have a package that I put together using the BA_GBR files and some files from Lawdog's sound packs....I can upload them here, minus Mike's files...just drop the sound files from Mike's package into these packages and you will have complete R-985 sound packs for single and twin engine applications.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wink

Hi,

OBIO .. I like when you make these "engines musics" :ernae:

Glad they are being well received and well used. I may not be rich, may not be pretty..but I can make a lot of noise. That is my one talent in life and I am going to use it to the fullest.

Tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    ...... but I can make a lot of noise. Tim
    We love noise .....

We love it loud .....

We love it rumbling .....

We love smoke belching rumbling radials ......

Pete.

SOH Staff
    there we go.
    patience furthers.
    I look forward to checking it out in the morning.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Thank you very much indeed. I spend a lot of my time in a Max Holste Broussard and to date have a Gnome Rhome installed in my FS9 example as found that was the closest I could get to the real thing.

Now I will have a worthy replacement.

Best wishes,

Martin

http://classicbritishfiles.com/index...89&video_id=44

Quote Originally Posted by dogknot View Post
    Hint-hint: If I recall correctly, Milton's Beechcraft D18S has two of these 985 powerplants mounted up.

Hmmmm - I always thought a Beech 18 should sound like two Super Stearmans:
    Don't those two-bladed props create a distinctive "snarl"?
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

They do indeed. Kind of Harvard-snarl.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    [/COLOR]

Hmmmm - I always thought a Beech 18 should sound like two Super Stearmans:
    Don't those two-bladed props create a distinctive "snarl"?
    Hoping that OBIO will share his "mix" of the Milton-crew recommended Mike Hambly Gee Bee sounds and the Lawdog sounds. It might just be the ticket. The 18 has some serious rattle n rumble going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCJkyY8jCRU
    Brent aka "dogknot"

I was reading Mike Hambly's read me file in the BA_GBR.zip package. It states that the files can be used for any freeware sim project. Since I am not going to charge anyone any money for the download/use of the sound packs containing Mike's files...they are freeware. Not sure if his policy covers/allows someone to take his files, run them through wav editors and tweak them a bit here and there...but I am assuming since the result will be freely shared with the simming community it would be okay.

So, I will be uploading complete sound packs based on Mike Hambly's GBR R-985 and some Lawdog files within the week....not sure when, but within this next week for sure. Single and twin engine configs. Will possibly do a dedicated sound pack just for the Milton Shupe D-18/FSDB Lockheed Electra L-10A...something a bit more rumbly and gnarly....possibly with more prop "scream".

I am really being hampered by the quality of my speakers. Was working on the sound pack for the Ranger L-440 inverted 6 (used on the Fairchild PT-19 and PT-26 and the Grumman G44 Widgeon...the ranger was the original inline used, the Lycoming was a conversion job after the war). My speakers develop an odd harmonic distortion at certain frequencies...and those harmonic distortions really make it hard to clearly hear how well the sound pack is shaping up.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am attaching a twin engine config file for the Beaver/R-985 package I uploaded. Save the attachment to your computer, rename it to remove the .txt, make a copy of the Beaver/R-985 sound pack, then drop the new sound config into place.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you, OBIO! Very much appreciated. Thanks for your time and sharing the goodies.
    Brent aka "dogknot"

I don't know who's sounds I'm using with Milton's Beech 18. I do know the sounds use Coffman starters though. That I do like.

Willy, just wondering which variant/model of the 18 that may have actually used coffman cartridges. I think there are something like over 30 different configs over the years.
    Brent aka "dogknot"

Hi OBIO!
    Could you please re-upload the twin R-985 configuration file?
    Many thanks,

Stéph.

Members who have read this thread: 2