Windows 7 install fix - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Windows 7 install fix

Ok I have checked the event log and this is what came up in the ACEEvent log

0000000050: 2011-08-31 21:08:25:335 Exception <Saving Xml Document>: Access to the path 'C:\ProgramData\ATI\ACE\Profiles.xml' is denied.
    Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.APM.Server.XmlDocumentSaver::SaverWorker

Not sure what it means, but seeing ATI and ACE suggests something with the video driver as I have a Radeon card. Thanks for any help you can provide Tailwind.

Further reviews of all the logs found the following in the Application log:

Event 9010
    A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (Microsoft® Combat Flight Simulator 3)

and

Event 9013
    The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application

Ok, I googled both events and found some related posts that indicated antivirus could be the problem, or Windows aero. I turned off each one and tested CFS and got the same results, ie., I could not get passed the splash screen.

Sorry for the delay

Quick question. Could you please launch the config icon and make sure your screen resolution settings are the same as your monitor settings?

I ran into this the other day. Game defaulted to 600x800 but monitor was 1280x1084

When I fired up the game I got the initial launch screen then disappeared and went to desktop. After I matched resolution the game loaded fine

Just a thought

Thanks

TW
    PTO RS MP Missions nights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quLMot-_Vik

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Tailwind. That was the problem. Made the adjustment on my AMD control panel and it is working fine. Thanks again for your help and your patience.

Cool Cool

Awesome news

You are welcome.

TW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post

One BIG caveat - some of the CFS3 tools will NOT work in Vista/Win7: that .MOS editor which gave you trouble needs XP - don't throw your XP CD away if that's important to you and put it on a separate partition (or HD - I fitted two to my rig).
    hairy

Have you tried running the MOS editor using win xp mode and win virtual pc? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7

Bob
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Quote Originally Posted by rbp71854 View Post
    hairy

Have you tried running the MOS editor using win xp mode and win virtual pc? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7

Bob
    Hi Bob,

my PC doesn't support virtualisation so that's not an option for me. Someone also posted a while back that the MOS editor would run in Win7 so I tried that too: it runs, it just won't open any .mos files!

I'm keeping the dual-boot system for now because I also have software that flatly refuses to run in Win7. Since this is 3ds Max 7, vintage 2004, I really want to keep it!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2014
    Blog Entries

WINDOW 7 INSTALL...just got win 7 and just wish to play off compu

im not at this point in mulit ,,,im at stage 1- how to make it work . eto/cfs3- in eto any help on a summary for a first time install eto and what is needed to make it come alive

many tks

frunstrated joshua

Loverboy what you need to do to WIN7 to get flying online is on the 1st page of this thread - EYE'm looking forward to see you in the unfriendly skies.
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLINK

Hello guys,still working on this: afther installing OFF2 in Win7 32bits.On starting the game I get the" run time error 429" message :ActiveX component can't create object. Any idea how to correct this ?

Quote Originally Posted by gosd View Post
    Hello guys,still working on this: afther installing OFF2 in Win7 32bits.On starting the game I get the" run time error 429" message :ActiveX component can't create object. Any idea how to correct this ?
    Hello

I don't fly OFF so not sure about quirks and issues. This message could be related to more than one issue. One thing I did see while googling was updating DirectX. This worked for one fellow who had this same error on a different program

Also, right click on the game .exe and choose run as administrator. This also worked for some

DirectX upgrade found here at Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109

TW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well I followed(more or less most) of this thread. Not sure why had to make a new cfs3win7.exe as all I did was change the compatibility in the original cfs3.exe to XP-SP3 and seems to work. However there are other issues when using TrackIR PRO, Saitek software and Logitech gaming keyboard G110.
    I found that Track IR is not a problem if change it to start as XP-SP3 (and also cancel its use of F7 key which conflicts with CFS3 F7 key). However I don't seem to get all the programmable keys in Saitek X52 profile to work (SHIFT B for instance) nor the programmable keys on the G110 keynoard.
    I note the latter and I think Saitek's software can emulate Vista in Win7 but not XP. So I am wondering if there is any reason why I should not run CFS3 also in a Vista emulation i/o XP???

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Well I followed(more or less most) of this thread. Not sure why had to make a new cfs3win7.exe as all I did was change the compatibility in the original cfs3.exe to XP-SP3 and seems to work.
    That's to make enable multiplayer - like Vista, Win7 doesn't let a program called CFS3.exe connect online.

Good to see you, mongoose!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

OK I get that now, but anyone have ideas re X52 programmable? Yes I am getting back into CFS3 and trying to sort out all my stuff so Ted and I + any others can finish ETO TOW before we pass away or something!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

You might find an answer to the X52/Win7 problem here. Ted rattling your chain is he? :violent:
    Tom

harry, want to try to wake up your MOS editor in win7?

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    One BIG caveat - some of the CFS3 tools will NOT work in Vista/Win7: that .MOS editor which gave you trouble needs XP - don't throw your XP CD away if that's important to you and put it on a separate partition (or HD - I fitted two to my rig).
    Give this a try and see if this works for you. Worked for gecko.

Bob
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

New Windows 7 User

I installed CFS3 on my new Windows7 machine following the instructions on SOH. I can fly the game on the computer but can not join multiplayer games. I have installed the updates to 3.1a and I am running Firepower 1.8 in the stock configuration. I keep getting a protocol mismatch. Could sure use some advice here. SUPPO sends.

You can't join MP-session when you don't have EXACTLY the same set of planes as the others have. That means no additional or modded planes.....

If a picture is worth a thousand words

Then a movie is worth a million

Hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOoqL0Isxac

Cheers

TW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Live: Western Maryland. From: North Central West, By God, Virginia.
    Tailwind, brutha, now that is really something else. I am very glad you did that video. It sure beats a mere forum post ANY day. BRAVO!

You really deserve to take a bow with that. ENCORE! LOLOLOLOL

Tooth, Fang, & Claw

Another use for sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

What about just win7 in compatibility window?

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Hi,

I would like to make an adjustment to step two.For Blacksheep-ghost03 to get his to work he had to set compatibility to Windows Vista SP2 first. Fly the game then change it to Windows XP SP3. We deleted his install a couple of times to test and this worked every time. We really never sorted what caused this but he is running an RC candidate and I am running a post release version. Might have something to do with it

So step two should read

STEP TWO
    If you have installed the game as above and created the new icon and it doesn’t work or won’t fly in multiplayer, delete the CFS3win7 icon from your desktop. Browse to your main game folder and delete the CFS3win7.exe. You should now have only the original CFS3 .exe in the game folder and no icons on your desktop. Right mouse click on the CFS3.exe go to compatibility and select Windows Vista SP2. Also select run this program as administrator. Once done create a shortcut for the CFS3.exe on your desktop. Go to properties and check that the compatibility and privilege settings are correct. Try and run the game. It will probably crash. That's fine. Go to the main game folder CFS3.exe again and change compatibility to Windows XP SP3. Go to desktop and check your short cut to make sure it is also Windows XP SP3 if its not change it. Fly the game. If it works apply the CFS3 patches. Test in multiplayer if required.

Sorry for the mix up but there were so many attempts to get this working I forgot about the vista setting

TW
    I notice that one of the options in the compatibility window is just to list window s rather than servicepack 3. This worked for me. Is it ok to do this or should service pack 3 be used?