Just a Note for Christmas...Nvidia 260

Thread: Just a Note for Christmas...Nvidia 260

Just a Note for Christmas...Nvidia 260

I just received on friday an Nvidia 260 ordered from Amazon. Here is my tiny review...:
    I have had the Nvidia 9800GTX for about a year with satisfactorily results getting the usual 20 + fps in the mountains and with good weather. Going to 10-19 in large cities and less with 100% traffic. So I got the 260 with 860 MG to try my luck after doing very little research on it.
    Nice Card. Fps went up, not a whole lot, but enough. In the mountains I am getting around 40 and up but what really surprised me is how quick everything is settling and with nor jumps nor quirks...I have everything Maxed to 100%, all sliders up. Jungles are totally populated with trees coming out of my ears and the flight is as smooth as silk. Noticed with the new 195.35 Driver a clearer picture all the way and brighter too. Over large cities like, Los Angeles, N.Y. and Seattle am getting, down under on the runway with full traffic around 19-28 FPS which is ok, since I get out of those places pretty quick and hardly ever go there anyway. Nights are allright at around 20-30 with all those lights......started real weather using, what I use always and never fly without , my pal HI Fi´s Active Sky and flew in all kinds of 7/8 cloud cover and happily never got a glitch and a zooming 30-70 fps from 5000 up, so this is just fine. For $ 199.00 I think I got a good deal and do recommend the card as quite a nice buddy of FSX......

On Another Planet
    Ya I have the EVGA GTX 260 core 216 and I love it. Great card for the money!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

Ted recommended one of these for me awhile back and it was great while it lasted. Had to rma it. Would get to 62 degrees and would lock everything up. Should get the replacement this week. Hope all goes well. Sure made a difference with the sim.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by dharris View Post
    Ted recommended one of these for me awhile back and it was great while it lasted. Had to rma it. Would get to 62 degrees and would lock everything up. Should get the replacement this week. Hope all goes well. Sure made a difference with the sim.
    I have been monitoring heat and so far it stays around 60-61 and I do not use an air conditioner in my computer room. It went over to 65-67 for a while at noon saturday but it just asked for a glass of water.--I have a fan controller program and have so far left it at default but as with my previous card I will exert more speed on that fan when it gets real hot around here.....all my fingers are crossed alright......

Blog Entries
    Much as I like that EVGA GTX 260 you have to run the fan at least at 70% power while gaming or it burns up. I have the dual fan MSI Twin Frozr OCv3 and it stays right at 48C when gaming at 55% fan. I use Riva Tuner 2.24 instead of Nvidia's tuner to keep it cool and OC the card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127426

I also was able to OC it another 20% and maintain the temps in this case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133056

I can maintain a very highly overclocked memory, a Q9550, and highly OC'd video card and the ambient temp is still 37C core temps never exceed 55C when gaming according to CoreTemp which always reads higher than RealTemp.
    Ted
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Much as I like that EVGA GTX 260 you have to run the fan at least at 70% power while gaming or it burns up. I have the dual fan MSI Twin Frozr OCv3 and it stays right at 48C when gaming at 55% fan. I use Riva Tuner 2.24 instead of Nvidia's tuner to keep it cool and OC the card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127426

I also was able to OC it another 20% and maintain the temps in this case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133056

I can maintain a very highly overclocked memory, a Q9550, and highly OC'd video card and the ambient temp is still 37C core temps never exceed 55C when gaming according to CoreTemp which always reads higher than RealTemp.
    Ted
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Thanks for the advise......will keep that fan up!!!

I have been using evga pricision to set and monitor the card. I set it to at least 70 when using the sim. I was running occt at 100 % fan and it still would not run for more than 2-3 minutes. I am sure it was a bad card and hope the next one works better. I am going to run Occt full suite and then look at the logs and see what is going on. The memory on the was running fine, it was the gpu that crapped out in my case. That occt program is pretty neat. Lots of info in the logs. Back to running on the 8800gt and while it does ok , it was a marked improvement with the 260. Thanks again Ted, fsx sure ran fine for awhile. Sure it will again.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker

Blog Entries
    I have been using evga pricision to set and monitor the card. I set it to at least 70 when using the sim. I was running occt at 100 % fan and it still would not run for more than 2-3 minutes. I am sure it was a bad card and hope the next one works better. I am going to run Occt full suite and then look at the logs and see what is going on. The memory on the was running fine, it was the gpu that crapped out in my case. That occt program is pretty neat. Lots of info in the logs. Back to running on the 8800gt and while it does ok , it was a marked improvement with the 260. Thanks again Ted, fsx sure ran fine for awhile. Sure it will again.
    I was just noticing your Power Supply, Don. Mushkin discontinued the 580 watt unit because of under-powering some video cards, at least that is the notice we got. The GTX 260, while being a great card, sucked a lot of juice on initialization and if the power supply was not up to snuff it could actually kill the card. The problem was on the 12V+ trip point and undervolting. I know that the Mushkin 580 is still sold but quite a few failures have occurred with Mushkin 580 and Nvidia GTXs. It is not always true for every video card, but I know that Mushkin is selling out of that line and not manufacturering any more 580s. You can check this with the use of good multi-meter at boot up.
    Ted

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Thanks Ted, I will try this out when I get some time before the card comes back. Did not know about the Mushkin, it was hightly recommended when I purchased it. May have to re-think this.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD

Installed it on Saturday and until today it really shines. Default temp 61 degrees constant. No air conditioning in here. So far really good....... I am using a 600Watt Power supply.

Blog Entries
    600 watt is fine if you are not drawing more than 75% at 80% efficiency of it for your computer set up, amperage at +12v is an important number. Remember to that if you raise voltage to OC your computer and or your video card you are drawing more wattage than normal.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    600 watt is fine if you are not drawing more than 75% at 80% efficiency of it for your computer set up, amperage at +12v is an important number. Remember to that if you raise voltage to OC your computer and or your video card you are drawing more wattage than normal.
    Ted
    Gracias Ted. Checking things out as per your instructions, so far the card is behaving alright!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0