It's Been a While, So It's A Little Dusty (And So Am I...)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Been a While, So It's A Little Dusty (And So Am I...)

It's Been a While, So It's A Little Dusty (And So Am I...)

Well, its been a little while, but I'm finally getting ready to push something out of the hangar. Nothing spectacular, just a Hudson III of the Chinese Air Force. The model is finished, and everything set, just tweaking the textures right now before I upload it. Its been in the hangar so long its a little dusty, but I finally got a push and finished it.

It is a true CFS2 model, with breaking parts and (of course) multiple LODs. Unless some disastrous problem rears its head, I will upload on Sunday to both my page and SOH (if I can remember how that is done. It HAS been a while.)

Might have another Hudson or two in there, as I get closer to being done I will share. And no, I haven't forgotten the other stuff, but life has been very hectic, and so my free time has been very limited.......

Paul

Pstrany,

Thanks for the effort, it is profoundly appreciated. :ernae:
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Looking good! Thanks pstrany!

Here are some other Hudsons by pstrany for those who may not have them yet.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...adName=pstrany

Looks great! I can't wait to see how your updated Doras are going. Thanks Paul!
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

Nice to have you back again, Mr. Hudson!:ernae::ernae::ernae:

Yea! Another Hudson for me to crash test.....and this one is OH so close to being a Lodestar (the number one plane on my wish list) that I think I could use it as such and be happy with it.

Will this one be usable in FS2004 like the others?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me that a lodestar version would merely require some simple subtraction .

Thanks Paul! It's good to see you in the Basement again.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Yep, to make this one a Lodestar...all that is needed is a solid nose. And the addition of seat for passengers...but since I prefer to haul cargo, no seats are needed.

Actually, giving this plane a solid nose would make it a L-14 Super Electra. Giving it a solid nose and lengthening the fuselage by 5 feet would make it a Lodestar.

I will be quite happy to use this as a Super Electra...another plane on my wish list.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great to see you back Paul!:ernae:
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

Wow! A sticky! I don't know that a small rework and a repaint really warrants that. I guess I will have to step it up a bit.

First, there is quite a difference between the Hudson (based on the Model 14 Super Electra) and the Lodestar. As someone pointed out, the Lodestar has a longer fuselage and the horizontal tail is raised. Also, the elevators separated left and right, and there are structural differences in the wings.

Okay, so what can I say to earn this sticky?

I also have an RAAF air ambulance in the pipeline as well (see screenies below.) Again, it is down to textures, I'm in the process of applying a little foliage green and dark earth, then a little touch-up here and there and I will release that.

Next, I've also finished the Hudson Mk I model. Again, all it lacks is textures (again, see screenies.)

And lastly, I have resurrected a side project that just might get you a bit closer to a Lodestar. This is a Lockheed Model 14-N3, a Super Electra powered by the Wright Cyclone engine. This model still needs work, but most of the major alterations have already been complete (again, screenies.) This is actually turning into my favorite model, and is seen (in very roughly applied) colors of 267th Sqdn, RAF. This particular aircraft was originally sold to Superior Oil in the States, but soon found itself in North Africa (via Canada and South Africa) flying men and supplies around the Mediterranean. She went down on a mission to a beleaguered Tobruk in 1941 (I bought a picture of this aircraft on eBay.)

I will upload the Chinese AF version tomorrow (Sunday) to both SOH and my webpage. The other two (RAAF air ambulance and Hudson Mk I will follow, probably in just a few days. The Super Electra will probably be just a little while longer, but I promise to stick with it until I get it finished.

So there you go, hopefully that rates the honor of a sticky......

Paul

Paul

Your Hudsons are amazing and definitely worth a sticky. If you produce a solid nosed version without turrets and bomb bay doors....a L-14 Super Electra....I will be OH SO GRATEFUL! Having a real Super Electra, especially without seats so it can be used as a cargo hauler would be great. Would love to have a Lodestar...but that is an entirely different bird all together and would require a dedicated modeling project. I suppose I could take Milton Shupe's Howard 500 Cargo and call it a Lodestar...I am pretty sure the Lodestar was the basis for the 500.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hewman100
    As a sidebar, I thought you guys might like to see the Hudson VI conversion I did on the Airfix kit:

Paul,
    Your screenies are making my mouth water. I've made a lot of use of your Hudsons and really look forward to your additions. You always show great attention to detail!
    :ernae:

One Down....

Hi all;

okay, I've posted the Chinese Hudson to my page, and I'm waiting for a password from SOH so that I can upload it here.

The download includes no sound files. You can download them separately (there is a link) or just alias it to another aircraft.

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I will be slapping some paint on the RAAF air ambulance next, then on to the Mk I and the Super Electra. I'll keep you all posted as to my progress.

Direct link to my download page: http://www.virtualwings.org/hudson/downloads.htm

Go down the page to the section "Lockheed Hudsons in Service with Other Nations"

Enjoy!

Paul

egypt23spitfire
    ..:ernae:looks damn fine PAUL:ernae:.......... great work

...........and the model looks well done too HEWMAN

I remember the Airfix Hudson well! Must have built a dozen or more of those in my youth. Very nice mod hewman, that is one on my list to do. Did you go with azure or Mediterranean Blue on that? Bet the engine installation must have given you fits....

Well, the Chinese AF version should appear in the downloads at SOH soon. It should appear in the CFS2 section.

I've been tinkering with the Super Electra, and have made some progress with that. Just in case anyone can help, I am looking for pictures of the cockpit of the Model 14. I'm also looking for a frontal picture of the Pratt & Whitney Hornet engine, and also trying to find out where the air intake on the Hornet was located (I can't seem to see an intake on any of the photos I have of the Hornet-engined aircraft. There is a scoop on the lower nacelle, but I'm assuming (uh-oh!) that that is the oil cooler intake.....)

Paul

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Hudson 14 ?

Will This work, Paul ?

SC
    "...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

SOH-CM-2013

Also...

Found an image of a Cyclone, the next phase of P&W Hornet...

Heres one - not much good to you, though..........

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Splendid model, Pstrany!

Is it very different than your older Hudsons? Will the older repaints fits this one?

Thank you very much!
    KH :ernae:
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Thank you!

Hi Kelti;

thanks for the kind words. By the by, the Chinese Hudson is now available at SOH for download.

To answer to your question regarding texture compatibility and models, yes and no. Largely, the textures will be the same. However, each model is generally custom made (each aircraft had a few fiddly bits that made it unique.) For instance, the mapping between the Cyclone and P&W engined variants is different because the engines and nacelles were different. There were equipment differences (some aircraft have such things as ASV antennae, others do not) and the like. Also, as the model is refined, some minor parts have been altered and remapped.

I can provide a texture legend for anyone who would be interested, and also would do minor special requests (blanked windows, etc.)

The changes between the Hudson and the Super Electra will be a little more pronounced.

Of course, the prop maps should be the same....:mixedsmi:

Paul

Research.....

Thanks to all who submitted photos. The engine in question is the Pratt & Whitney R-1690 Hornet. I have good documentation of all the other engines used by the Hudson/Super Electra, but so far good photos of the Hornet are hard to find. I look for a good full frontal shot of an engine (preferably color) to build an engine as I like to be as accurate in their presentation as possible. I have a ton of photos of the other engines (Wright Cyclone, P&W 1830) but so far a good photo of the Hornet has eluded me.

As to the cockpit, there were some major differences between the Hudson and the Super Electra in the cockpit area. The Hudson had an extra area for a radio operator; the Super Electra did not. The instrument panel for the Hudson was asymmetrical to allow access to the nose; the Super Electra was symmetrical, as there were two pilots. The cockpit glazing was also different, allowing for some controls to be installed in the overhead on the Super Electra.

I've attached a few pictures that I have of the Super Electra cockpit (one is of the Lodestar, which in early models was pretty much identical.) Note the odd shape of the cockpit door!

I'm trying to identify the controls, particularly in the overhead. I'm also trying to figure out what is on the back of the cockpit door (one is a window opening that I suspect had a flap or door so the pilot could close it until he wanted to look into the cabin area.) I'm not really strong on all the gauges and levers. The center console appears identical to the Hudson, but there are some differences to the control panel (and of course that overhead stuff is a mystery - some might be radio controls?)

the photos are from City of Toronto Archives, the book "It Seems Like Only Yesterday" by Philip Smith, and (2) "The Lockheed Twins" by Peter Marson.

A Challenge.....

Hi all;

I've posted a challenge over in the FS2004 section:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...216#post286216

Thought some of you might be interested as well, just in case you want to take a break from blowing s**t up (though a resourceful individual could probably hang a pair of 500 pounders under the wing and take a whack at the Messerschmitt Plant at Marienburg on the way past...)

Paul

SOH-CM-2013

Holy Smokes, Paul !!!

There just ain't a whole lot of image data on this plane to be had !!!

Here's all I could find after a one hour wander through the Google Maze...

SC