Area51sim - c-5m galaxy out now - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Area51sim - c-5m galaxy out now

I noticed its not on Simmarket anymore..
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

tigisfat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    I noticed its not on Simmarket anymore..

hmmmm...

Can this product really be that bad? There's at least one person in this thread that bought it. Initial reviews aside, it actually looks really good. There just isn't any information on it besides a few bad reviews.

Charter Member 2015
    I'm not buying until I get some pictures, VC, Landing tire smoke, and does it have a restroom? On long flights I just can't hold it!

David

tigisfat
    Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    There are a few pics in that link I haven't seen before there. I'm edging closer to buying it, but I won't until I see some huge pics of the VC.

I have it, its really cool... FPS in VC a bit heavy.

tigisfat
    Thank you!!

Can we have a pilot's eye-view shot? How are the sounds and flight dynamics? Will it taxi on low thrust settings?

Great shots!!

Charter Member 2015
    thank you!

David

Tigisfat, here's the pilot's view you requested. I picked this up late enough in the day that I won't have any time to fly, so I can't go into much more detail than what you see. One thing worth noting is that the sound is aliased to the default 737. However, I don't find this to be too much of a bother since there are a couple of good sound sets, c5aglxrd.zip and cf680c2b.zip which can be picked up flightsim.com. I searched for "Galaxy Sound" and they were the first items returned.

For those who own it, is there any sign of a repaint kit being released yet?
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    For those who own it, is there any sign of a repaint kit being released yet?
    Yes, the paintkit is released, see this topic on there site : http://www.area51sim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167#p167

grts,

Lenny

tigisfat
    I need to release my soundpack, it's the real deal TF-39s. If you choose to have the C-5M as it's depicted, the default CLS 747-200 sounds or CLS DC-10 sounds will be just great.

I think I am going to buy it. It looks like a fairly solid 30 dollar release. Noone would complain about the cartoony VC textures if this release would've come a few years ago.

John, any more impressions of quality or lack thereof to speak of? The handling?

I was able to take it out for a reasonably long flight and here was my impression. I'm tempted to do a little work on the fm/engine model...will definitely need to talk with the developer first.

Good:
    - It's a C-5!
    - My cold and dark default flight files are compatible with it, so C&D starts are a go.
    - I can't go into much detail here because everything is very subjective. Bottom line is that I enjoy what I picked up for $30, and with a little bit of digital wrench turning it could be a great heavy to fly when not in the mood for something as complicated as a PMDG.

Given that, here's a list of what I think could be done better/fixed:

- Biggest problem I noted in the fm given that I've never analyzed a C-5M, which means I could be totally wrong; is that the body fixed x-axis (longitudinal) is offset from the atmospheric relative x-axis when defining lift and moment coefficients vs angle of attack. When flying straight and level at cruise, my pitch attitude varied between -2 and -4 degrees depending on load and altitude.

- Wrong engines; The defined thrust rating fits the TF39-GE-1C (C-5B) rather than the CF6-80-C2 of the C-5M. Pretty easy to fix though if desired.

- I changed the minimum throttle from 0.25 to -0.05 for a better range of throttle control.

- There's a little distortion on the PFD when looking straight at it, but it goes away as the view pans (you can see this in the pictures I posted)

- There's a couple of disconnects with the autopilot I had to get used to. First, on the Autopilot module above the PFD, units are imperial but on the FMS they are in SI. Also, when adjusting for optimum engine/aerodynamic conditions I always use Mach Number. However, on the PFD and I believe autopilot, it is set in knots and not updated until you change it again. So, you if set the FD to climb at a certain mach, you're actually climbing at a constant speed which is the mach number at the instant you set it, and will be steadily increasing the flight mach number as the climb progresses.

Hope this was helpful.

Charter Member 2015
    JohnC how are the touch down effects? Are they like the default 747 (way off) or right on?

David

Effects aren't my thing, so I can't tell you how this compares to other aircraft..but this is what I see from the tower view.

Charter Member 2015
    Thanks for the views. Does not look too bad. Course I'm not an expert on C-5s. May have to purchase this one. Next month or Jan. Funds ya know!

David

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    She flies nice around Canada's Arctic. Anyone have shockwave coordinates by chance. I did a rare night landing at Goose Bay. Only note its throttle has a tendency to zoom full and I have to peel back 50% to stabilize at 315 knots cruise for Transcon.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Seeing as this apparently has very little systems modelling I've come to the conclusion that I may as well stick with my old Alphasim Galaxy. Combined with Christoffer Petersen's freeware C-5 Galaxy Sound Pack, it still makes a nice addition to any hangar, even if it is a bit long in the tooth.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TmSe-Eaj9Zw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TmSe-Eaj9Zw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Has anyone here had terrible FR's with this beast? I was chatting to guy yesterday who had bought it and he deleted it because it was one of the biggest frame hogs he has seen for ages! Insted of the usual 26 FPS he only saw about 10 in the VC.

On Another Planet
    Optimist, you do realize this is Area51sim... not Alphasim right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rezabrya View Post
    Optimist, you do realize this is Area51sim... not Alphasim right?
    No

My mate said it was alphasim. I don't know much about Area51sim - I'll look into them and see whether the post still stands.

tigisfat
    Well, this is a dissapointment. I guess I won't get it after all. It looks great, but it's still a simple aircraft and I won't put up with cruddy FPS from a simple aircraft. It's had way to many bad reviews already as well. It's a shame that it's so underloved that there aren't even any youtube videos yet. I was hoping for much more information, but the bad reviews speak for themselves.

I was also kinda hoping that the area51sim people would show up and defend it, possibly even explaining a bit of it, but I can't expect or demand that. Oh well.

Every time I am toppling off the fence to buy this one I find a new reason not to. I to would like to hear more from the guys over at Area 51.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Members who have read this thread: 1