How many are installing Windows 7 tonight?

Thread: How many are installing Windows 7 tonight?

How many are installing Windows 7 tonight?

I got mine in the mail today, but I'm not installing until the weekend. Or maybe later if people start reporting problems.

Jim

Based on my past history I will upgrade in about 2 years. Sadly at that point I will probably still tolerate routine updates to fix this, that, or the other...
    Regards,
    Robert

Lightbulb

We talked about it a bit at work last night & the consensus is, if you have Vista, there's no need to get Windows 7 until after Windows 7 SP1 at the earliest....

I have XP and it would be prudent to wait until Win7 SP1 based on past experience.

Oh and who actually had or went to a Windows 7 party?

Blog Entries
    I cant afford it
    I run ultama 64 vista and would have to buy the full install of win 7 ultama 64, no upgrades for me, haha
    Look What I Have Become!

I have Window XP, how to I upgrade to Windows 7?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i have windows 7
    and love it
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Happiness Consultant
    Not yet ... I'll wait a while.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

I got Windows 7 through school for $29, downloaded today but not had time to install yet, maybe this weekend.

Chris

Just doing the annoying backing up of everything to make doubly sure I've got everything I need and all important documents and suchlike are backed up.
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    We talked about it a bit at work last night & the consensus is, if you have Vista, there's no need to get Windows 7 until after Windows 7 SP1 at the earliest....
    I agree with this. If your Vista is stable keep it until Win7 SP1. I love Windows 7RC on my PC at home, but I had XP PRO 32 bit and much prefer Windows 7 64 bit. I have Vista on a laptop and it will stay there until Windows 7 SP1-yes there will be a Service Pack, they have already started work on it.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I'm sticking with XP for now because:
    1. XP works well for me
    2. I don't really have the funds to upgrade to Win 7
    3. I waited until SP2 for XP and am happy I did, I'll wait for reviews and the SP1 for Win 7
    4. I'm scared of change
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I waited for SP1 before I switched to XP. I jumped on Vista during the RCs. I'll wait a while this time. I've spent way too much time (and money) messing with the latest and greatest through the years. I'm sticking with the old and reliable for now. I think my next upgrade will be Gulftown. After that I'll consider Windows 7.
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

Quote Originally Posted by lifejogger View Post
    I have Window XP, how to I upgrade to Windows 7?
    Uninstall XP, install 7.

I'm in need of a newer, faster machine but I refused to have anything to do with Vista. Now the time has come to seriously look to upgrading to both a new PC and Win 7. Not sure if I'll wait for SP1 to come out, though; but I'm perfectly happy with XP.

Bob

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    ...I had XP PRO 32 bit and much prefer Windows 7 64 bit.
    I've stuck with the 32-bit OS up to now.
    I'm about to upgrade to Win 7 to get rid of Vista for good, would it be a good time to go 64-bit?
    What about all those legacy apps?
    Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight, for example? :d

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Uninstall XP, install 7.
    I have never installed a new operating system, sounds like a lot of work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's not the installation of the new OS, it's the re-installation of all the other software, patching, setting up preferences, profiles, bookmarks, e-mail, etc.

Last time I had to do-over when my CPU died, it took 3 days approximately 8-5pm to get mostly everything the way it was (basically couldn't tell it was a different computer, other than it begin a lot faster)

MyassisDragon
    Sticking with XP, for my purposes it works just fine. Am a charter member of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" clan.

Has anyone here gone from XP SP2 to Win 7 (x86)? If you did, I would like to know if you noticed much of a change in performance with Windows & running FS9 & X?

Blog Entries
    I am running FSX on XP-64 and it running fine. No need to change.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by lifejogger View Post
    I have never installed a new operating system, sounds like a lot of work.
    Installing the OS itself isn't, everything else is.

Although I found Windows 7 to require a lot less time to set up and tweak than XP SP3 did. I needed four to five hours to get everything up and running, including programs plus another one to two hours of defragging.

My copy hasn't arrived yet. hope it comes soon.