Win 7 64 bit and FSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 7 64 bit and FSX

Win 7 64 bit and FSX

I am thinking about upgrading to Win 7 64 bit from Vista 32 bit. Reading info at the Microsoft website, Win 7 64 bit must be a clean install. Can I use the upgrade version or do I have to purchase the full install version? Lastly, are there performance benefits using the 64 bit Win 7 in FSX?

I think because of the bitrate difference you would have to do a fresh install. If you had Vista 64bit it would be just an upgrade.

Dont hold me to this, we'll just have to wait and see if it works when W7 is released.

With past versions of Windows it was possible to do a fresh install with the upgrade disk, you just needed to insert your old disk when prompted during the install to prove that you owned it.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Yep, you cant upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, and secondly MS dont officially support upgrades... Always best to do a clean install where poss!

BTW you wont regret it anyway, win 7 is brill!

Didn't quite escape.
    The advantage, of course, in doing a clean install is that you remove all the excess extraneous rubbish that your previous Windows installation gathered to make it run as slowly as possible on any given set of hardware.

I'd always recommend a clean install anyway, wherever possible.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    The advantage, of course, in doing a clean install is that you remove all the excess extraneous rubbish that your previous Windows installation gathered to make it run as slowly as possible on any given set of hardware.

I'd always recommend a clean install anyway, wherever possible.

LOL....Now thats funny !

I have done an install over Vista 64 to Win 7 Ultimate 64 and all is well. FSX runs great!

Thanks guys for all your imput. Anyway, I have read some great things about Win 7 and I think the 64 bit should kick some serious butt in FSX. At least I hope so.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by rewasiuk View Post
    Thanks guys for all your imput. Anyway, I have read some great things about Win 7 and I think the 64 bit should kick some serious butt in FSX. At least I hope so.
    64-bit, nor Windows 7, will do ANYTHING to make FSX run faster or smoother..... if that's what you are looking for. Been running FSX on WinXP 32, Vista 64 and Win7 64 in parallel for months. What DOES make a difference is the speed of your processor and the Gb's of RAM installed.

Windows 7 however is a whole lot more stable than Vista ever was, so I'd go for it if I were you.

FSX is a 32-bit system, thinking 64-bit will improve it is, unfortunately, whishing for the well
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Having the Win7 RC 64Bit version in a parallel install, I would strongly recommend it.

It will not make FSX faster but you can use more memory (so 64Bit is the trick)

Under WinXP 32Bit using the Aerosoft Catalina plus a photoscenery allways ends for me with FSX saying "Out of memory, byebye". With 64Bit this problem is gone. (under 32Bit the maximum memory a 32Bit application could access was 2GByte, under 64Bit it is 4GByte)

And after testing Vista and hating it I was really surprised how I liked Win7...

It does take some time to get used to it (finding scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg etc. is a pain) but then it's fine.
    But be carefull : my Saitek gear got different names than it had under XP so I have to maintain two sets of FSUIP.ini files

Quote Originally Posted by dexthom View Post
    I have done an install over Vista 64 to Win 7 Ultimate 64 and all is well. FSX runs great!
    That`s my question.Just got my copie of W7Ultimate 64bit and i`m not sure about installing it over my existing Vista SP2 Ultimate 64bit.
    The "Upgrade Advisor" tells me,that there is a conflict with the TrackIR5 Software,maybe the TrackIR runs afterwards or not?
    Also Firefox should not be fully compatible with W7,also Thunderbird,which i use as eMail program.
    And FSX with dozen of Addons?
    What`s about video drivers?
    I´ve read a lot,but i don´t want to sit here with a broken OS or an FSX,which doesn`t work.
    Momently i have not so much time,to make a new install of the OS and FSX.
    So,do you mean,such a "dirty" install is really worth a try?
    I know,only a clean installation of W7 would give me the whole benefit of this new OS.
    Thanks
    Michael

My processor is an AMD x 2 2.8 ghz with 4 gigs of 667 mhz ram. With FSX being such a resource hog, Win 7 probably won't make much difference but at least I can dispose of Vista.

Blog Entries
    I think Windows 7 is great, particularly for running FSX. The only thing that has given me a problem is the Sibwngs Saab Safir X; it just won’t let you activate it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    The problem has been brought to the attention of Sibwings on their forum but they say Windows 7 is not supported, and have not replied to posts on the forum about this since August.<o></o>
    Surely they are going to have to address this issue if they want to remain in this business? <o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Regards,<o></o>
    Ian.<o></o>
    <o></o>

Let`s hope so!
    When i read about such no-go`s with W7,i think,it´s better to wait with an installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    64-bit, nor Windows 7, will do ANYTHING to make FSX run faster or smoother..... if that's what you are looking for. Been running FSX on WinXP 32, Vista 64 and Win7 64 in parallel for months. What DOES make a difference is the speed of your processor and the Gb's of RAM installed.

Windows 7 however is a whole lot more stable than Vista ever was, so I'd go for it if I were you.

FSX is a 32-bit system, thinking 64-bit will improve it is, unfortunately, whishing for the well
    I've run the benchmarks that Doug Horton ran in Computer Pilot and FSX was significantly faster under Win7 64 bit vs XP 32 bit. I don't have the figures handy, but the difference was substantial. Working on KSDL, I'll normally see 30 fps in XP and 50 fps in Windows 7. I'm not sure why, but the 64 bit OS does seem to help a lot.

Concur, FSX is noticeably faster on Win 7 64bit vs XP 32bit on the same machine. I'm not sure why but having had the Win 7 RC installed for some months now it's as weighed down with stuff as the XP install. I do wonder if it's because it can do everything else the OS does faster that it frees up resources for FSX?

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Concur, FSX is noticeably faster on Win 7 64bit vs XP 32bit on the same machine. I'm not sure why but having had the Win 7 RC installed for some months now it's as weighed down with stuff as the XP install. I do wonder if it's because it can do everything else the OS does faster that it frees up resources for FSX?
    Possibly, because FSX does NOT run faster on 64-it itself. It remains a 32-bit program, no matter what you do More memory, better memory handling, more room for other things to be done in parallel all may add to the perception of FSX running better of course. As do additional cores for loading scenery 'on the side'.
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

I am running W7 64b RTM and I have th Safir X installed no problem and I installed it back when I had earlier betas as well, never had an ounce of trouble, did you follow these instructions?

http://forum.sibwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=465
    [SIGPIC]Vista Australis[/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    Hi Jay,<o></o>
    yes of course I followed the install instructions, but I was using the RC version of Windows 7, I don’t know if that makes any difference, I’ll have to wait until my copy of Win 7 arrives to see if that helps. It seems a lot of other people are encountering difficulties with this:<o></o>
    http://forum.sibwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=549<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Ian.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    <o></o>

Not sure but I am sure that Sibwings will have to start supporting it because it will now become a mainstream OS, it was logical they were not supporting it while it was not officially out yet
    [SIGPIC]Vista Australis[/SIGPIC]

TrickIR software works under Win 7 RC fine!

Good to hear(or read) that the TrackIR5 and the Safir X are working fine with W7.
    It seems,that there are no bigger problems with the new OS.
    But i`m still not at the point to give it a try and install it over Vista.
    What`s about ESET NOD32 in W7,are Firefox and Thunderbird running well?
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by rewasiuk View Post
    I am thinking about upgrading to Win 7 64 bit from Vista 32 bit. Reading info at the Microsoft website, Win 7 64 bit must be a clean install. Can I use the upgrade version or do I have to purchase the full install version? Lastly, are there performance benefits using the 64 bit Win 7 in FSX?
    I don't think anyone ever answered the original question. AFAIK, in the US versions the following purchase options are available for both HP and Pro:
    full retail
    upgrade retail
    32 bit OEM
    64 bit OEM
    there's also the family pack, which I think is 3 upgrade retail licenses.
    full retail will install anywhere anytime (subject to reactivation limits)
    32/64 OEM is a one time install, locked to the hardware it's installed on
    upgrade retail must be installed on top of a "genuine" (that is, the OS is installed, activated, and passes the "genuine" checker) OS, either 32 or 64 bit, either XP or Vista.

This is different than the "clean" or "upgrade" install, which is not a function of license you bought but a configuration issue. For example, you buy Win7 HP upgrade retail. You have Win XP 32 Home installed on C: drive. You can install Win7 64 on drive C: -- it will activate, but the only install option is for a clean install. I assume doing this will kill your XP license (that is, you try to activate it later and it fails activation) -- maybe someone knows?

At least that's my understanding. A bug in Vista allowed you to install and not activate Vista, and then install Vista upgrade retail on top of it and it would activate (meaning you could install upgrade without actually owning a prior version) but I assume MS fixed that in Win7.

scott s.

Quote Originally Posted by kaputtnix View Post
    What`s about ESET NOD32 in W7,are Firefox and Thunderbird running well?
    Michael
    Don't know about NOD32, I'm using Avast, but I use Firefox and Thunderbird on W7 64-bit exclusively for the last two months without any problems.

I switched from XP Pro SP3 32bit to Win7 Pro 64bit and am quite happy with FSX's performance under Win7. In contrast, I was not happy with FSX under the 32bit version of Vista. I honestly believe the memory management in the 64bit version has helped with FSX's performance even if it's just because it handles all those background tasks better owing to the larger addressable memory space and better scheduling.

The one Win7 issue that I've come across is adding new scenery files but by using a method of copying and pasting the scenery directory name then clicking inside the directory space in the dialogue it seems to do its thing. I didn't figure this work around out; I was just fortunate there were several early adopters of Win7 Beta and RC1 so I was able to Google for the answer.

One nice thing about using Windows 7 (this is true for Vista too), is the FSX "compatable" (i.e. portover) aircraft tooltips that don't work in XP do work in Vista/7. Very handy for figuring out what knobs and levers do in the cockpit when you haven't committed the pilot's manual to memory. I have a couple of a/c where there is no FSX version available yet I want them in the collection so this is another plus for me.

I had to do a clean install because I went from 32bit to 64bit but I have colleagues that have updated Vista 64bit to Win7 64bit without any major issues. The only device I have that isn't working is my old HP scanner; they officially stopped supporting it in XP days and the main reason it doesn't work now is there isn't a 64bit driver for it. There still may be a cure for that one too but I didn't find in my first round of efforts.

Overall, I think there are a lot of nice improvements in Win7 over Vista ~ some are very subtle but still appreciated ~ and the transition from Vista to Win7 won't be anything at all dramatic like it was going from XP to Vista.

The main thing for people who have only used XP is to remember the functions are all still there but the names of the control panel or even the item name will in many cases have changed from what you're use to. I think an XP user would be at home after a little exploring. I'm not saying that as someone who plays with computers daily but as someone who watched his Dad transition from XP to Vista when it first came out without a lot of help from me.

One thing that is gone from Win7 (or at least I haven't found it yet) is the "Classic View" of the control panel so that may throw a few Vista users initially but if you're use to the Vista way of doing things then the Vista/7 style of control panel organization probably won't cause you too much trouble either.

Cheers,
    Rick

Members who have read this thread: 0