Any ideas??

Thread: Any ideas??

Any ideas??

Keroman re-visited.

Still slowly working on it, but also trying to get the basics down. That's where the problem is. Making the basics work.

I have 'Keroman', or in other words, the ground surface the base is made on, as a model, and is a .MDL file. Why? First because the 'ground' where Keroman should be (in CFS3), is missing.
    So, in effect, the model creates the visual ground that you see, and where all the base structures sit. I've built it as a model because, it doesn't sit at 'ground-level'. First, most of it is over water, and the Keroman ground is up (about 3 meters), and much of it's edge forms a 'seawall'.

Okay.
    As far as installing Keroman into the sim, since it's a MDL file (model), instead of like an airbase, it's not simply a textured groundplane. I wanted to avoid installing it, such as a 'building', which also takes a .xdp.
    I have it installed like my addon airbases, and it shows fine in the sim. (It's all put into place in the sim, via xml files, and global_layer entries.)

Here's the problem.
    The ground surface won't take any damage, such as bomb blasts. To use a .xdp, it would have to be as a building...lol, and a ton of damageboxes.

I've tried using a .MOS file with it, like an airbase uses (which does show bomb blasts), but with a mos file, the model's texture does NOT show, though the model itself does. The model shows pure white. In gmax, the model is made using grey.

Any 'gurus' out there with any ideas?

Cheers all! Tinker, tinker.

Blog Entries
    Hi ted, I presume the texture shows up ok in gmax and the mos editor? not a simple dds issue is it?
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Hiya, Clive.

Hmmm...the .dds issue is something I haven't looked into, so it might be worth checking. Might simply be the .dds type.

One other thing I'm gearing up to check is the 'ground' damage bit. Got a little dangerous, and started thinking.
    Since the 'ground' of Keroman is actually a model, instead of a groundplane, I've looked at an aircraft .mos, which takes bullet holes, and the like. Bomb craters should work, too. Gonna find out soon.

Working on a .mos for Keroman now, and when it's ready, I'll test it. The texture showing might be some of the settings in the .mos file, so I'll try a few things.

I had wished I could have built this thing as a piece of terrain, but as sharp as some of the shapes of the seawall is, probably would have been a real pain. Lol, I'd have to figure out how to make the terrain to begin with!!

Can't even get most of those blasted 'tools' to work...even if they do, how to correctly use 'em.

The newer mos is a no tango. Made for a/c only, since they use special names for damage.