GAS Taylor J-2 Final Version for FSX and FS9

Thread: GAS Taylor J-2 Final Version for FSX and FS9

GAS Taylor J-2 Final Version for FSX and FS9

Hi gang! Well it's been thoroughly tested by you good folks and the members of TOH. The links below will get you the final version of the models. Whats different?

Improved textured for both the FSX native and FS9 versions; the addition of an additional livery, reflecting an a/c recently restored; additional tweaks of the FSX model to add improved specular and dynamic shine to the VC components; an new prop texture (bananabob's piper prop mod) and a few minor part corrections to facilitate repainting, for those that wish. Installers have been created for both models as well to facilitate installation. Once I get my access, I'll upload the models to the SOH FTP as well

Heres a shot of the new paint job

The FSX version is here:
    http://www.goldenagesimulations.com/GAS/J-2FSX.zip

The FS9 version is here:
    http://www.goldenagesimulations.com/GAS/J-2FS9.zip

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thank you!
    H

Great stuff! Thanks Paul and Gil
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Now, this is a true Put-Put!! Kudo's!:ernae::ernae:

Paul

Wink

Paul,
    I'm REALLY liking your avatar...:d

BananaBob
    Thanks!! Looks great and downloading now! :ernae:

Just did my first flight of this final release. The flight handling is remarkable as it feels just right at all speeds. Fps is great. I like the extra touches of the start up engine smoke colors of black and light gray.

The sounds are excellent especially start up and shut down. The animation of the aerilons is great from the VC or in locked spot. BananaBob's prop is fine.

A reel tryummf, (maybe 2 fs?)

I may have missed something but I'd like to make two paints for personal use. Do I need a paint kit of this a/c?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz dual core800 MHz FSB, (HP)MB Livermore-GL6, 2GB RAM PC2 4200 DDR 2 533 Mhz, ATI Radeon HD OC 4890 1GB GDDR5, Turbo-Cool 510 ps, Vista SP2 Home 32 bit, MS Sidewinder FF2, REX 2.0

There is no specific paint kit, but that said great care was taken to make the model painter friendly. Just follow the existing textures as a guide and you 'll be ok. Some of the details like the clip fasteners and rivets may be a challenge but with care the result should be fine

Spad54 - I love the new paint!

Thanks for the update - but I'm getting a shimmering texture in the teardrop window...not the whole pane..just the edges where it 'seats' into the frame or fuselage cutout...

is it just me? or does anyone else have this happening..?

I think that might be the polys that define the edge of the window itself and the dark color makes it more noticeable. I'm going to use a different technique on our next project.

thanks Spad54...after seeing that apparently no one else had this issue I went and looked for a culprit on my side.

I wont say I found one but I did see a thread in the GEX support forum WRT Nhancer settings that helped out - I did not know that Nhancer profiles could not be reconfigured whenever you installed a new driver - you infact have to delete the old profile and create a new one.

that even if you installed a new driver and then adjusted the old profile, none of those changes would take effect.

So I made changes based on a thread by Nick C over at that forum and (if you have GEX just go to the 'support forums' linked on your activation/updater for GEX and look at the Nhancer thread) adjusted some settings and the 'shimmering/flickering in the teardrop window are vastly muted now.

fall

Took a little trip using DX10 and all went well. tried to find the "shimmering" window but never did in DX9 or DX10. I assume the teardrop window is on top?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz dual core800 MHz FSB, (HP)MB Livermore-GL6, 2GB RAM PC2 4200 DDR 2 533 Mhz, ATI Radeon HD OC 4890 1GB GDDR5, Turbo-Cool 510 ps, Vista SP2 Home 32 bit, MS Sidewinder FF2, REX 2.0

no - not the top overhead window...the teardrop is on the left or port side..in the screenshot you just posted it is the next to last window and is shaped like a teardrop..pointy on top and round at the bottom :ernae:

Gotcha. Did not see any shimmering in any window but I'll check again just for my education.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

no worries - it seems to be either extremely limited to specific (and rare) system hardware and setting combinations...like mine..and only mine.

but I did manage to almost eliminate the minor little thinger entirely...

all in all it is no longer an issue - and since the little Taylor Cub is so much fun to fly it doesn't really matter...I am just surprised that no one else at all has experienced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    Hi gang! Well it's been thoroughly tested by you good folks and the members of TOH. The links below will get you the final version of the models. Whats different?

Improved textured for both the FSX native and FS9 versions; the addition of an additional livery, reflecting an a/c recently restored; additional tweaks of the FSX model to add improved specular and dynamic shine to the VC components; an new prop texture (bananabob's piper prop mod) and a few minor part corrections to facilitate repainting, for those that wish. Installers have been created for both models as well to facilitate installation. Once I get my access, I'll upload the models to the SOH FTP as well

Heres a shot of the new paint job

The FSX version is here:
    http://www.goldenagesimulations.com/GAS/J-2FSX.zip

The FS9 version is here:
    http://www.goldenagesimulations.com/GAS/J-2FS9.zip
    HELLO ALL, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news: those links are 404 now! I am interested in the FS9 versión (I have the FSX version), is it dead or placed elsewhere? Not even googling finds it.
    Jean

Go to the Golden Age Simulation website. They are under Simulation Freeware.

They are under Simulation Freeware
    Would you check this, please? I can see Cub, E2 Floats, H2 Cub and H2 Floats, but no J-2 and no mention of FSX.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Pardon me! I rechecked and the Taylor J-2 is not at Golden Age Simulations, nor is it in the SOH Library where SPAD54 says he uploaded. A mystery that perhaps SPAD54 is best able to resolve. He is active on this forum.

It comes up at Avsim:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php...ac&DLID=129749

If the link doesn't do it, the file name is: j-2fsx.zip

Very sweet. I think I have just about everything GAS has released, pay and not, and they are all very well done.

Glenn

Oooops. I misread.....we're looking for the FS9 version.

Look here>>>> j-2fs9.zip

(Flightsim.com)

Got it. Thank you ☺

In P3D the default aircraft.cfg will hardly let the aircraft move on grass even at full power. To overcome this, edit:

[piston_engine]
    power_scalar =1.5

(edited from 1.0)

This also works for the GAS DH60 Moth.