WIP: IRIS C-27J Spartan - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WIP: IRIS C-27J Spartan

I actually got to sit in one of these last year. Very similar to the C-130 and in fact, the guy who was showing me around was telling me that they did that on purpose. They wanted pilots who have experience in the 130's to be able to transition as seamlessly as possible.

It's not that small inside but, still... smaller than the C-130...

Makes a LOT of noise too. the props aren't that far from the windows and it's LOUD.

kc

Yes, back to topic

HigGround 22 wrote:
    Sblzei, would it be possible to impose upon you by requesting your excellent 2D Spartan panel?
    Unfortunately my FS9 2D uses many FS98 gauges (don't work in FSX).

As soon as I get the this new toy, I hope to be able to make use of the IRIS gauges to update it to FSX.
    If they want the bmp (that I derived from an Hi-res picture) to do their own 2D development, I can send it to them for free (or maybe for a little discount on the model price ...:mixedsmi.

The design of the cockpit is similar to that of the C-130J as far as the instrumentation is concerned, but the general arrangement and dimensions derive from the C-27J predecessor, the G222.
    Concerning the noise, yes it is noisy (race cars aren't? - this is not a posh executive airplane!) but much less than the G222, mostly thanks to the 6-blades sable propellers (commom to the C-130J)

Here is another shot of the real cockpit.
    :wave:

[QUOTE=Does anyone now what the rails are for near the tail. It looks like it has roof racks .[/QUOTE]

Anthony, I owe you a reply.

The two "towel bars" (as they are called) are the two HF antennas, that allow long distance radio communication (over 1500 Mi)

Sorry for being late.:ernae:

Blog Entries
    Well, a bit of an update for you all..

I just uploaded version 0.25A of the FDE for the testers tonight.. Compared to the teaser, it's a completely new plane.. Of course, anyone thats familiar with how i progress through a project knows that the third release of anything i'm working on is totally different than the first release.. At this moment, if you hit 300 knots, it will do a loop. The CG and CL are weird so i havent gotten thoser balanced out quite to the point you can do a knife edge with it.. Liftoff is at 118 knots and landing is about 380 meters with reversers and brakes at a landing speed of 95 knots. Is this like the real plane?? well, the loop is, so is the knife edge ( though generally that maneuver takes both pilots working their tails off ), but the rest of the data is simply taken straight from FAA and MOD documents. I can HOPE it's accurate, but i cant gaurantee it, and i wont try. I will say this though. When i bui;d a flight model, i have no ego involved. Stand or fall, everything i do has to be on it's own and gets compared ruthlessly with what i consider to be my favorites. In the twin engine mid range class of aircraft, milton Shupes howard 500 has always been my absolute hands down favorite. it's one incredible plane to fly, but in my opinion, this one has a real good chance of matching it..
    I can only hope you all enjy this plane as much as i do, and i hope you will find it's performance to be at least somewhere within the realistic ball park..
    Thanks all.
    Pam

Smile

Warchild,
    to me it looks like you are having pretty realistic performances.
    According to specs, tactical T.O. gnd roll is 580m and landing gnd roll 340m. Minimum control speed in air is 105K (a little higher than yours).

The major problem that I encountered in developing my C-27J flight dynamics (for FS9) was to make the aircraft slow down when the throttle is cut back. It had an extraordinary tendency to keep the speed even with throttles in idle (!). If I remember correctly I fixed it by playing with inlet area and, of course, max drag. I did not want to make use of spoilers in flight, since in the real C-27J they are applied only for performance landing.

Good luck :ernae:

Ezio

could not resist and purchased the teaser today and yep that is an nice model and awaiting the full version

BR
    Tom

Charter Member 2014 HighGround22's Avatar
    Very interesting press. Thanks for sharing that.
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Is project dead now?
    Not sure about dead, but interesting that Iris had some pretty busy forums six months ago and now they seem very low key. At one point they were tracking multiple releases pending and now the only mention of a pending release is their Typhoon, though traffic on it seems sparse too. On a different note, did see an F111 posted in the background on their web, so maybe that one's close to completion too. I can only hope.

Matt

Blog Entries
    I'm not certain whats going on all together, but the Typhoon is being worked on. I've been reassured on several occasions that the C-27 is not dead. it has been made less of a priority but is cued for development this year..

I would ask that folks please remember that Iris was badly hacked not too long ago and had to have their site rebuilt completely from the ground up.. i think in time, David will be back in full swing, but an experience like that is enough to knock the wind out of anybody..

Members who have read this thread: 1