I'm homicidal - all FS planes lost! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm homicidal - all FS planes lost!

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    often times when an external drive goes bad, it's the "external" part of the drive. if it stops working you can usually bust the case open, remove the actual hard drive, and install it as an internal storage drive and it will work just fine. even if you don't have the room for it, you could still do it temporarily in order to copy the files to something/somewhere else.

I'm going to take a look at that cheezy....at this point, I don't think I've lost anything since it was a backup after all, but still , it's the principle of the thing.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Poor Toast, I am sorry that this happened to you. My external drive (E: = 2nd backup) just failed. After I have replaced that one, I will copy everything from my internal backup, the D: drive, to the new E: drive. After having gone through a lot of misery similar to yours about two years ago I decided to run a primary and a secondary backup. Something for you to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    I'm going to take a look at that cheezy....at this point, I don't think I've lost anything since it was a backup after all, but still , it's the principle of the thing.
    my storage drive began life as an external drive. i just moved the jumper on the "C" drive, and then the jumper on the newly internal "E" drive, mounted it in the bay where they extra disc drive would go, and hooked up a new ribbon. it was that easy.

Charter Member 2016
    You're dead right, Kofschip - I'm going to be a backup fool, one internal and one external.

And if I start anew on the writing - I'm going to print the damn thing as I go, regardless of how many progress edits I do. I don't feel that I'm going to have the inertia for that, though. Maybe next year -

"Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

Toast, you need to start writing again, while your memory (if you have one ) is till fresh. You owe it to us to publish your efforts.:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Toastmaker View Post
    You're dead right, Kofschip - I'm going to be a backup fool, one internal and one external.

And if I start anew on the writing - I'm going to print the damn thing as I go, regardless of how many progress edits I do. I don't feel that I'm going to have the inertia for that, though. Maybe next year -

I hope that you do and that your FS system will be up and running better than before! :ernae:

Back up to DVD's once a month, in-between put on flash drives.
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

Well, it took the cost of a retrieval program but I got all my data off my back up, which was good since there was stuff there I had forgotten about.

I think this was a self inflicted wound....I place the drive in an area that did not get adequate ventilation, and I think it overheated. When it gets real super hot to the touch it's probably not a good sign.

The reason I'm updating this is because I found myself walking down the path I myself had cautioned against (say it isn't so!)...."oh, I'll just reformat this drive and get it up and running again...."

Nope, don't think so. I'm getting new drive. They're super cheap for the amount of storage --- the same cost as the recovery program.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

By the way Cheezy, because of my concern for damage to the drive I'm not going to throw it in the bay of my Dell.

Although I may go to that rather than an external. Not sure yet.