MacRobertson London to Melbourne Entry thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MacRobertson London to Melbourne Entry thread

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping to be available this time. The PUSS MOTH team
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I would like to put my hat in this here jaunt...

For the Golden Era class, I will be flying the Default DC-3 w/ the allowed Mark Beaumont Avionics. He did add a 4th tank, which is allowed in the RR version. His DC-3 Came with this mod, please let me know if this is not ok...

I took Trev Morson's Panel and stripped it of modern avionics (except the center compass) No GPS, No ILS, No VOR Capability. Put in Default DC-3 Dual ADF Gauge and Radios. Will be adding a E-6B and other old time drifmeters/computers.

Painted it "The Mischief Marie" (If ya knew my wife, you would understand )

I will be bringing 4 passengers, 5 cases of beer, 2 cases of wine, 2 bottles of Bailey's Irish Creme, and 14 cases of nearly ripe haas avocados.... (And not necessarily in that order)

Please let me know if there is anything wrong with this entry....

I changed my mind, and want to try this solo, so I will not be participating in Red Green's Team United 247D Team Flight posted earlier.
    Remember: It's break ground, and fly into the wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by EdGeneer View Post

I will be bringing 4 passengers, 5 cases of beer, 2 cases of wine, 2 bottles of Bailey's Irish Creme, and 14 cases of nearly ripe haas avocados.... (And not necessarily in that order)

For as long as I can Maintain Altitude I will be Flying behind Ed...

BBBUUUURRRRPPPPP!!!!!

and if I come down I will be getting another bottle of Wine.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Actually, I thought he's traveling awful light on the refreshments.

Wrong:
    4 pax (unnecessary burden and they whine)
    5 cases of beer?? that's only ONE per mandatory stop!! think of the Race Committee man!!
    2 cases of wine ( 24 bottles...) that's only a bottle per day.. what about the other meals enroute ??? (Air France used to let their pilots have wine with the crew meal!)
    2 bottles of Bailey's - you think that'll be enough to keep the copilot quiet?????? for 11,000 miles???

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad
    Wrong:
    4 pax (unnecessary burden and they whine)
    5 cases of beer?? that's only ONE per mandatory stop!! think of the Race Committee man!!
    2 cases of wine ( 24 bottles...) that's only a bottle per day.. what about the other meals enroute ??? (Air France used to let their pilots have wine with the crew meal!)
    2 bottles of Bailey's - you think that'll be enough to keep the copilot quiet?????? for 11,000 miles???
    Oh, perhaps I wasnt clear.... "I" will be bringing.... I dont know what the co-pilot is gunna drink, or the 4 lovely ladies we brought along for... um, moral and spiritual support....

BTW: I cant get either sets of the sperry autopilot gauges to control the plane.... I dont know what im doing wrong.... I assume its illegal to use a std autopilot and hdg bug?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would like to put my hat in this here jaunt...

For the Golden Era class, I will be flying the Default DC-3 w/ the allowed Mark Beaumont Avionics. He did add a 4th tank, which is allowed in the RR version. His DC-3 Came with this mod, please let me know if this is not ok...

Ed G;
    What in the hell are the Avacados for? You gonna throw them at hostiles if you land at an incorrect airport? ;-}
    Charles.

BTW: I cant get either sets of the sperry autopilot gauges to control the plane.... I dont know what im doing wrong.... I assume its illegal to use a std autopilot and hdg bug?
    Just a guess Ed but have you tried coping the [autopilot] section of the aircraft you took it out of into the aircraft you are putting it in?

It could be a setting in the auto that it does not like.

There should be no problem with using a modern Auto pilot as long as you don't activate the NAV settings to track VOR, ADF or GPS.

That statement of course comes from someone not in the committee they can correct me if I am wrong.

Dave

Dave has it correct. My Golden Age entry just has a couple of switches. One for altitude and the other for heading hold. I also use a heading gauge with a bug for fine tuning on the heading. The altitude, I just get "reasonably close".

With only one case of beer per compulsory stop, the race inspectors at each stop will be very cranky.

Don't forget you'll need the appropriate "baksheesh" at every stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26
    Just a guess Ed but have you tried coping the [autopilot] section of the aircraft you took it out of into the aircraft you are putting it in?
    Thats exactly what it was... I tried switching all the gauges out, tried three different sets of Sperry's, then I thought, well, why does it work in the default... so I looked in the default aircraft.cfg and compaired the autopilot sections, they looked really close except for the last two lines. Default Bank Mode and Default Pitch Mode were set to 0 in the a/c i was trying to use it in... SO I just copied the autopilot section from the default dc3 and voila!

Thanks for suggesting it anyways, because if i didnt try it already, I would have after reading this
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Welcome

Welcome to the Frenzy Ed!,

Sounds like your usual cargo for trips like this....

[NOTE]: If anyone should see Ed on the course, I strongly suggest passing not on the right or left , but over the top. Trust me you don't want to be behind him at the same altitude. The steady trail of cans, bottles and various snack wrappers will be a tempting trail to follow even in low vis, but in the long run will prove to not be worth it. :isadizzy:

Good Luck buddy! :ernae:
    salt_air

Oh, perhaps I wasnt clear....
    For the Golden Era class, I will be flying the Default DC-3 w/..."I" will be bringing.... I dont know what the co-pilot is gunna drink, or the 4 lovely ladies we brought along for... um, moral and spiritual support....
    Gonna keep an eye on this one...
    It reminds me of the plan we hatched one day, sitting in the cold and snow and zero vis while waiting for the runways to be cleared, of buying a DC-3, restoring it to "DST" configuration and taking it out to the arctic mining and exploration camps on "Morale and Recreation Tours".

"Douglas' Dollies - Support for the Mining Industry and Its Workers"

Ed, you'd best be careful with customs at some of those enroute stops...

Rob

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quick recap of who is flying what so far (in order of post):

Willy, Gee Bee R-6H/Vintage, Cessna 337H/Modern

Buzzbee, Spartan Executive/Vintage

Vicious, Gee Bee R-6H/Vintage

salt_air, Lockheed Vega/Vintage

Highmike, Spartan Executive/Vintage

Great Ozzie, De Havilland DH.88/Vintage, Pilatus PC-12/Modern

arrvoo, Savoia-Marchetti SM.79/Vintage, Beech Duke/Modern

MM, Percival Mew Gull/Vintage, Beech Duke/Modern

Bry Rosier, Savoia-Marchetti SM.79/Vintage, Pilatus PC-12 or Cirrus CR22/Modern

RedGreen/DHC120 Charles, Boeing 247/Vintage

menekod28, Douglas DC-3/Vintage

PRB, Lockheed 9 Orion/Vintage

falcon409, De Havilland DH.88/Vintage

AussieMan, De Havilland DH.80A, Douglas DC-2, or Boeing 247 (undecided)/Vintage

txnetcop, De Havilland DH.80A/Vintage (as part of Team Melrose)*

EdGeneer, Douglas DC-3/Vintage

*Several will be part of "Team Melrose" along with txnetcop.

I have a couple I'm looking at currently. One is in the paint shop and hope to have it back by the weekend.

SWSucceed
    Hi
    As a former member of FS-MP who took part in the RTW2008 race I am hoping to make an entry in the modern class, looking at my all-time favourite Cessna C441 Conquest.

The FS-MP RTW Team is dis-assembled due to the closure of FS-MP as it once was, and has re-assembled over various FSX communities.

I will represent the new Aspire FSX Community, at http://aspirefsx.com and hope to be accepted, and maybe bring others into the race as well.

We have a teamspeak and dedicated multiplayer server on our own networks and you are welcome to utilise it as you wish. Details for for connection details are in the forum at http://aspirefsx.com

We would fly our legs there (as indeed you may like too as well) unless of course a specific server is specified.

Thank you for considering our application!!

SOH-CM-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SWSucceed View Post
    Hi
    As a former member of FS-MP who took part in the RTW2008 race I am hoping to make an entry in the modern class, looking at my all-time favourite Cessna C441 Conquest.

The FS-MP RTW Team is dis-assembled due to the closure of FS-MP as it once was, and has re-assembled over various FSX communities.

I will represent the new Aspire FSX Community, at http://aspirefsx.com and hope to be accepted, and maybe bring others into the race as well.

We have a teamspeak and dedicated multiplayer server on our own networks and you are welcome to utilise it as you wish. Details for for connection details are in the forum at http://aspirefsx.com

We would fly our legs there (as indeed you may like too as well) unless of course a specific server is specified.

Thank you for considering our application!!
    Hi Stuart,

In the aircraft performance thread I've posted that we need to get the C441 tested. It may be too fast (over 270 knots TAS). If so, we'll have to fly something else - maybe another Goose adventure?! The Goose is an eligible Golden Age aircraft...

Regards, Martin.
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

You can fly either online or offline. If online, just use the server of your choice. I know several of us are planning to use the MAPE server ( mape.gotdns.org ). Unless I get too lonely, I'll be there.

I know there is an fshost server for the race, but is there a teamspeak server with a unicom channel for the pilots as well??? (if this has been discussed, i apologize for my ignorance)

we 'should' have a common voice server somewhere to meet on for pilot enjoyment, communication, and a general live place to meet just before and during the race, to have a general unicom.

Thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We haven't been running voice coms on the MAPE server as most of us there usually take our chances with "death by chatbox". I'm thinking Dangerous Dave might know something about a teamspeak server.

Ts

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    We haven't been running voice coms on the MAPE server as most of us there usually take our chances with "death by chatbox". I'm thinking Dangerous Dave might know something about a teamspeak server.

Hey Willy,

We could use FlightSim's TS server (nobody else does).

I can create a seperate channel or two and tie it down with a password if needed.

Just gimme a hollar........HEY BOY!!!....you know like that...

Best,
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Hey Willy,

We could use FlightSim's TS server (nobody else does).

I can create a seperate channel or two and tie it down with a password if needed.

Just gimme a hollar........HEY BOY!!!....you know like that...

Best,
    That would be best

My server can not handle a large load.

Its good for an afternoon of flights with 4 or 5 people after that it gets over loaded.

The DSL just can not handle the load.

See what you can do to set it up salt_air

Checking

Just sent an emil to the forum Moderator,,,,,should hear back soon.

But I'm sure we can.

Will advise,
    salt_air

I will be entering the Golden Age Class. I will be flying the MAAM SIM DC3

Change in Aircraft...

In the Golden Age class, I'll be flying Milton Shupe's Beech 18 cargo variant. Too much opportunity on a flight from England to Australia to not make a little change in the "import-export" business... :d
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

You gonna have some theme music playing while you fly Willy? Like maybe that rock group Guns'n'Poppies?

The "8-track" is on the pre-flight non-checklist

Members who have read this thread: 0