Sometimes I hate FSX and sometimes I love it.

Thread: Sometimes I hate FSX and sometimes I love it.

Wink Sometimes I hate FSX and sometimes I love it.

Today I love it :d

Huub

I have days like that!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

I´d truly love with a bird like that... brings back memories of Hahnweide...

Those are the days!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

In the wide open spaces I love it. Cities and airports I hate it.

Even on my new PC it is still too slow overall. Long live FS004, I hate to say.

Cheers Markl

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Flying a Butcher bird will make most of us in here happy, Huub!

As for my love/hate affair with FsX; I'm still tweaking to get the best performance out of my new system. If I lock the framerate slider to 20 fps I barely get 13 fps no matter what settings. If I set it to unlimited I can get up to 100 fps but I get a lot of stutters and artifacts on the screen while panning around. Now I've set it too 31 fps and it seems quite stable at the moment.

Sometimes I think that Fsx will never run smooth on any computer as it cannot handle the newer processors and videocards well, but there isn't an 'older' system fast enough to run it properly...
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Ferry,

have you tried the bufferpools setting in the cfg? I´s the only cfg tweak I use and it works great, minimized my stutters completely.
    Just add:
    [BUFFERPOOLS]
    Poolsize=300000000
    to your cfg. I use a very high value, if I go any higher FSX completely freezes, lower is less efficient. I guess every system has it´s own balance. You have to set your framrates to unlimited, to use the tweak!

With this settings I was finally able to push up the autogen and use traffic, too.

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

I tried you suggestion Alex, but it didn't change anything. With the framerate set to unlimited the rate fluctuates between 15 and 70 with severe stutters and artifacts on the screen. With the slider set to 30 it is almost fluent and stable with very minor stutters. Lock it to 20 and the framerate drops to 13-15.

You have to set your framrates to unlimited, to use the tweak!
    Yep; tried to lock it at 30 with the tweak but could hardly get over 10-12 fps (Aerosoft F-16). With the tweak removed I get 25 fps with the same aircraft.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

But it's not all bad, because when I stop tweaking for a bit I can finally enjoy these three with a decent framerate, and that makes me happy:

:d

I enjoy it all the time, and sometimes even a bit more...

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Another day almost gone....

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Yea, I would too with scenery like that. . . .geeeze, nobody likes a showoff jankees, lol, lol.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Today I LOVE IT!

But the good thing is that you always forget the frustrating moments when you really enjoy it

Attachment 12463

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

FSX does seem to be the tweaking sim, trying to find that mythical perfect setting!

dhl1986
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post

Wow.

Imagine flight simulators of the future, when satellite imaging will more than likely make detail like this the norm for every spot on the globe.

Love-hate relationships are the best. Takes you through the whole spectrum of emotions instead of just a small part of it. :ernae:

Im stuck bwteen two sims ..love FS9 with the variety of scenery and aircraft, fast frame rates, the amount of AI I can load without bogging the system down..but also like FSX for the very nice a/c (ie L-39) and the detailed phto real scenery ..conversly I hate FSX the way it treats the NZ landscape (ie desert like ) and the FPS which struggles on my system. Maybe when the desert is banished from NZ and I get an upgrade I wil delete FS9.

Blog Entries
    Yes there have been bad days with FSX but they have been so few in the last two years that I just love it. Build your computer right the first time and quick tweaking evey time someone comes up with a new idea that makes FSX run at "100fps everywhere." I learned that once you have it just like you want it, leave it there. FSX is an odd bird, but fun! However, GW3 and Silver Wings will never leave my PC no matter how great FSX gets.

Naki I also am looking forward to more time and effort spent on NZ and the islands in general. If you haven't already experienced it, FTX/Orbx has done some awesome things that are worth every $.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

SOH-CM-2024
    Huub,

I have found that the sim just performs flawlessly in extreme rural areas, even with REX, UTX, GEX, and FSGenesis mesh. But get around a crowded area with lots of traffic and boom, cartoon-land!

So until I can get a beast to power the sim, it's strictly rural flying for me. The Alps are grand, do very little to the sim, but watch Geneva.

But FS9, man I can go anywhere I choose, New York City, yeah! Constant and steady fps, even in FRAPS. Greatest sim ever, still.

But I can't say anything bad about FSX, it performs better than I thought it would on my mid-range system by today's standards. I guess it like that line in Bowie's song, "When it's good, it's really good and when it's bad, it really pleases!"

Caz

The nice thing about FSX is, that it doesn't require much tweaking and fiddling anymore with today's hardware and SP2.

Oh, if I think back to RTM days...I couldn't even run maxed autogen on my E6600...the horror, the horror...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The nice thing about FSX is, that it doesn't require much tweaking and fiddling anymore with today's hardware and SP2.

I agree. I just noticed in my prior post I said quick tweak and I meant quit tweaking and fly. If your system is right you don't need to tweak anymore.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Naki I also am looking forward to more time and effort spent on NZ and the islands in general. If you haven't already experienced it, FTX/Orbx has done some awesome things that are worth every $.
    Ted
    The desert look is been banished by this project:

http://flightsimtopo.freeblog.co.nz/

There are also the Real NZ scenery airports/areas that cover a chunk of NZ along with freeware airports like Whakatane and freeware photoreal scenery areas like the Coromandel and Takitimu

http://www.windowlight.co.nz/index.p...tpage&Itemid=1

I have all of them for FS9 and FSX bar the FSX version of Wellington.

FTX/Orbx would probably bog my system down for me to enjoy. My set up copes with fairly sparse areas like the Wanaka area of NZ ...come to a large city and it turns to crap. Ive tweaked the heck out of my FSX but will now need some expenditure on hardware to get any more FPS.

Australia is just too flat and large for me and I would prefer to fly around the mountains and hills of New Zealand (or Alaska and the PNW). There are rumours that ORBX will work there magic on New Zealand which would be interesting to see but it is a wait and see what happens with the above project as well. Tongass and the ORBX project on the PNW are on my shopping list for possible future purchase after a graphic card upgrade..anyway I digress...