In need of some overclocking advice please - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In need of some overclocking advice please

Harley or Texnet,

Can Dell machines be overclocked? I have a nice i7 940 with an GTX 295 and would love to tweak more power out of her. I have seen on other forums Dells are not particularly overclock friendly, but would love to try. Afterall, FSX can never have enough power, for all of the addons.

Matt

I have a Dell XPS 720, and it is fair to O/C

It should be the same process, at start up go in to the BIOS screen, once there use the arrow keys to go down to the Performance tab on the left hand side, press the + key and this should open up to show Advanced etc . You need to go in to Advance so arrow down till it is hightlighted then press enter. This then takes on to the core speed again use the arrow keys to increase or decease the speed. You will also have to turn on the Performance Application to Yes. Press enter, then escape save the settings, and the machine will re-start.

When you go in to the control panel, systems it should show the need core speed.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Harley or Texnet,

Can Dell machines be overclocked? I have a nice i7 940 with an GTX 295 and would love to tweak more power out of her. I have seen on other forums Dells are not particularly overclock friendly, but would love to try. Afterall, FSX can never have enough power, for all of the addons.

Matt

It will OC if you are not locked out of the bios tweaking features...

Charter Member 2015
    Many of the newer,higher end Dell systems do allow moderate overclocking....I'm unsure if it'll be covered under warranty however should any issues arise.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Thanks for the updates guys. I tried to OC before and it didn't semm to produce much, but have a newer machine and better graphics cards as well. Perhaps a good weekend project with all the dang snow we get up here. Oh, to be back in central Texas or PNW again.....

Matt

Blog Entries
    Matt there are some workarounds to OCing the new dells but only on certain models not all i7s they turn out have a motherboard that OC friendly. PM me with you exact model on the back of your PC and serial number.
    Ted
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Ted,

Thanks. I am currently TDY for the week, but will hit you and Harleyman both up for the OC advice when I return. I think I've got a pretty good upper end machine and want to take advantage of the hardware for what it's capable of versus just the vanilla filling they go out the door with. Talk to you in a week,

Matt