AFCAD question

Thread: AFCAD question

AFCAD question

When creating a (NEW) air or sea port, where do you get your elevation from? I have been using the aircraft altimeter which works most of the time but not always.
    Sometimes this will cause the area to raise up several feet. As it's a new airport there is no default AFCAD to go by. Do you correct by trial and error?

Yes....trial and error. I have found that going into slew mode and slewing to your desired location (on land) and then coming out of slew mode and re-setting your altimeter is the best option; I have not made an afcad for seaplanes as of yet, but I would assume that using a seaplane and following the guidelines i mentioned previously should work just as well.

Go to hovercontrol.com, and search for the file chplus.zip. This gives you a set of crosshairs that are "flyable". Use the smallest, the 9m one and set that puppy down on the ground right where you want to know the elevation. Do a shift+z, and the altitude there is what you are looking for, voila!

When you use the aircraft altimeter, it actually reads the altitude from your views eyepoint, not the ground altitude. The crosshairs eyepoint is set right at the base, so it sets on the ground.

~A~

Thanks, just what I needed. :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Astoroth View Post
    Go to hovercontrol.com, and search for the file chplus.zip. This gives you a set of crosshairs that are "flyable". Use the smallest, the 9m one and set that puppy down on the ground right where you want to know the elevation. Do a shift+z, and the altitude there is what you are looking for, voila!

On which category that is? File search of chplus.zip didn't result anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    On which category that is? File search of chplus.zip didn't result anything.
    Drop the .Zip and the search will work.

The utility that does this I found at Hovercontrol is called SceneryPlotter-v1 It is in the scenery utilities and tools section.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment