OT: James F. Chams
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: James F. Chams

OT: James F. Chams

Hey James, please, please take this the right way.

You don't have to put 'MR' before a name all the time, especially when it's a nickname. 99% of the time on forums, it's completely surplus to requirements and actually doesn't read correctly.

Don't shout at me, but after years of reading your posts, I felt it was time to say something and I hope it's taken in the positive way it's intended.

And just for the record, please call me 'Nick'. :d
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

And just before you all attack me, I'm fully aware that my English language is far from perfect.

Edited to remove the glaring error!!
    Cheers,

Nick

'Smoothie' or 'Matt' will do fine for me Nick thanks for voicing what a few of us have noticed, As he said James no offense is meant so don't take it the wrong way, have a beer on us :ernae:

Anybody who's on the receiving end of my Skype messages, knows that I can be quite inventive with my spelling...Ask Ian!
    Cheers,

Nick

I'm fully aware that my English lit is far from perfect
    Errr.. shouldn't that be your English Lang? I'll get my coat....

ROFl. See what I mean. :d
    Cheers,

Nick

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    ooops...

and I was calling Nick 'Sir Churchill'.. arrghh.. :d
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    ooops...

and I was calling Nick 'Sir Churchill'.. arrghh.. :d
    Would that be "Saint" Nick at Xmas?

Didn't quite escape.
    Wasn't Churchill a Lord by the end anyway?

I'm happy to be just David.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

JamesChams
    I find you all funny...

Nick,

You already told me that .... and I have been refering to you as just Nick (or in some cases as Mr. Nick C. to others, when I recommend they talk to you about FSX Settings, Ordering a Custom System(s), or how to take good screen shots ). But, as far as others are concerned, I try to treat people with respect as I would also like to be treated (I'm "OLD School" :mixedsmi. However, as you already know from our many past experiences, not everyone does that, especially to older gentlmen and some young ladies. So, a certain level of formality, respect, and professionalism is "REQUIRED" when dealing with Business', their staff, or (strangers) people in general. I choose to be formal, since most of us are NOT firmiliars, and it doesn't seem to take much for people to cross that line very easily from respect to disrespect. So, since you requested that for yourself, I have no problem doing so.

However, I expect developers and other professionals to refer to me as Mr. James Chams, yet many of them call me James; even though I've already stated that; yet you DON'T see me posting threads demanding that they do things my way, right?

So, what is the real reason for your grievances’?
    (Or, As you say in Britian, "Why are you ticked?" and, As we say in America, "What's your Beef?")

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesChams View Post
    I find you all funny...

So, what is the real reason for your grievances’?
    (Or, As you say in Britian, "Why are you ticked?" and, As we say in America, "What's your Beef?")

James
    dont worry he is confused by
    my English Grammar also
    LOL
    H

I hear ya James...

In a professional environment I refer to my superiors as sir/ma'am & my subordinates with the proper prefix & surname. Moreover I expect the same from them.
    However this is not a professional environment. Here we are all equals sharing a common passion.

Sooo.... Just call me Bob if you please
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

James, we're a pub here and not a business.
    Hence please no "Mr.", "Mrs.", "Ms.","Sir","Ma'am" or anything similar; we're all just "pal", "bud", "lad","mate","dude" here.

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I hear ya James...

In a professional environment I refer to my superiors as sir/ma'am & my subordinates with the proper prefix & surname. Moreover I expect the same from them.
    However this is not a professional environment. Here we are all equals sharing a common passion.

I'd love to tell you what I call my superiors at work.....but I can't here, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    I'd love to tell you what I call my superiors at work.....but I can't here, LOL.
    Probably the same thing my subordinates call me LOL
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Didn't quite escape.
    As long as you don't mean grammer wheel be fine.

As for why people don't refer to each other as "Mister" or "Sir" all the time, the simple answer is that this is not a professional environment. It's a place where we can meet as equals (most of the time) and hence the majority of formality isn't really needed.

I get "a little narked" when some salesman on the phone calls me "Ian". No, I'm Mr. Pearson while you're trying to sell me something I don't want, yet the Chief Instructor at the flying school I'm using to requalify is "Andy" (not even Andrew) and the Examiner is "Bob". That's very much a professional environment, yet the formality is unnecessary for the most part. I don't call my boss at work "Sir" any more. He's got a big enough ego as it is and doesn't need any more!

As I said before. This isn't a professional environment. It's a gathering of equals - in theory at least. Therefore in my opinion, sir, madam, Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms or "The Right Dishonourable" really are not necessary.

By the way. I'm Ian or "Oi! You!". I respond to either.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Hi Bob if you please!

After driving a truck for 16 years, there isn't much I haven't been called. I just prefer not to be called late to dinner... :ernae:

i call my superiors at work Ruperts, bloody bunch of good for nothing career enhancement types

'oi you!' ^ as you say we're all equal, some of us in sheer lunacy, some in flying either way yeah equal

James, my point was that this isn't about old school English.

Mr Churchill is fine, but you wouldn't call me Mr Nick Churchill when speaking to me. It's either 'Nick' or 'Mr Churchill'. You also don't add the term 'Mr" before a nickname. So if my nickname is 'Fartypants', you wouldn't address me 'Mr Fartypants'.

'Nick C' was an nickname I created for forums in the old days when I felt it wasn't safe to give too much information about yourself (a ling time ago). The letter C was just to differentiate me, say from 'Nick N' (Needham).

As Ian said, this is an informal environment, if anybody calls me Mr I'll presume their either selling me something or it's one of my old strict teachers, coming back to haunt me!

I certainly don't have a grievance, I just thought I'd mention it as a light subject matter.
    Cheers,

Nick

Videre Vincere Est

Cool

Funny thread!

James, you adressed me once as Mr Warrant. Warrant is short for my current rank: Chief Warrant Officer (though i'm joining the officers corps within a few weeks). It is very incorrect (at least in my country) to add Mr in front of a rank.

So please.... either Warrant or René

and regarding this:

As Ian said, this is an informal environment, if anybody calls me Mr I'll presume their either selling me something or it's one of my old strict teachers, coming back to haunt me!
    ...i could not agree more :ernae:

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Blog Entries
    You can call me jmig. you can call me jmiguez. You can call me John. You can call me Johnny. Just don't call me Johnson. That's not my name so I won't know who you are talking to...
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

This is hilarious.....ROFL

I'm not greedy or anything, so just call me "Supreme Leader"...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Supreme Leader.......Sir, yes sir!!

Howdy Mr. Piglet