64 Bit OS and FS9 - does it work?

Thread: 64 Bit OS and FS9 - does it work?

64 Bit OS and FS9 - does it work?

Any one know if a 64 Bit OS will work with FS9 or FS X? My first guess is no but I may be uninformed (smile). Thanks in advance.
    E

WuhWuzDat
    XP 64 actually works quite well with FS9, and FSX.

Jeff

on vista 64bit FS9 will work perfect but many addons will not because of their installer which often did not support the 64bit

hope that is enough info!

BR
    Tom

XP 64 running FS9 no problemo, but hicup with some of the addons as stated before

Great infomation. Thank you one and all. Take care. Will be aware now of addon problems - not a problem. GRIN.

Ed :ernae:

I installed FS9 on my new Vi64/home machine and had no problems at all. I try to avoid built-in installers when I can. So far (6 months) I've had no FS issues that I can attribute to the OS except an inability to find a screenshot program that will work in full-screen mode.
    FS is NOT installed to the C:\program files folder ( it's on a seperate physical drive) and , of course, UAC is OFF.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

UAC off? What is UAC? It seems that Vista 64 OS will be my choice not Windows 7 64bit. Thanks in advance.

Ed

User Account Control. One of Microsoft's brilliant security ideas.
    help for it can be found in the Windows Help and it's switched on/off in a section of the Windows control panel (on by default).
    probably one of the reasons I've been fortunate is that I plotted the route ahead of time
    1. reconfigured the base drive, adding a twin and setting up RAID
    2. installed the OS without all the "extra" bits, toys and tools
    3. configured the drivers and made sure they worked
    4. installed a new, clean 3rd drive to hold FS - it doesn't have to be huge but should be fast.
    5. installed FS before any other programs, configured the drivers to fit and tested for a week before any other steps.
    6. installed a browser (FF) and have rigorously maintained a clean system
    7. after 3 months installed Office and a few other bits to make life easier.
    -- oh, and you should make regular backups along the way... I use Acronis True Image to make an image of the drive before every change.
    Being careful and planning takes a bit more time before getting FS running but it's been a blessing in the long run.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info on UAC. Very clear. Great advice. Browser FF? Foxfire, not sure. Is it better then MS explorer?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edmoore235 View Post
    Any one know if a 64 Bit OS will work with FS9 or FS X? My first guess is no but I may be uninformed (smile). Thanks in advance.
    E
    I have FS9 running on Vista 64 Home Premium and it works just fine. Oddly, I'm running FSX on XP 32, but the computer is a lot more powerful.

Thanks Joe. Take care.
    Ed