P-38(s)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P-38(s)

P-38(s)

Hello,
    does anybody know, if SU are also doing a FSX Lightning? I´m asking because the Milviz seems to be a superb model, but the textures look rather gloss dark grey then nature metal (polished aluminium) to me.
    Warplanes weren`t always polished, ok but not gray...

Attachment 8875

Cheers, Thilo

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Hello,
    does anybody know, if SU are also doing a FSX Lightning? I´m asking because the Milviz seems to be a superb model, but the textures look rather gloss dark grey then nature metal (polished aluminium) to me.
    Warplanes weren`t always polished, ok but not gray...

Attachment 8875

Cheers, Thilo
    Its all up too personal taste. What should we paint it like? A real warbird representing how it would be in WWII? Dull finish, lots of dirt stains, matte? Or do we paint it like a restored warbird who is cared for by a team of dedicated experts day and night? Polished to a T, and clean enough to eat off of?

We do the dirty bird, we get people who want it clean. We do a clean bird, we get people who want it dirty. We do it in the middle, and both sides complain that its not clean enough or dirty enough.

To put it bluntly, there is no winning. There is no right or wrong. What there is, is a choice between the people making it to do it one way, and supplying a paint kit for people who want it another. There WILL be paint kits for my P-38, and you can slather as much dirt on it as you want. Im also very sure that many of the re-painters here will be willing to paint you up a dirty bird if your not skilled in Photoshop.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

My impression was that it was a bit dull too, but I thought I'd wait for the release.
    Good news about the paintkit...,
    now I want it even more...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Hi, Kevin!

The system won`t let me reply, so another try...
    Factory fresh or worn is not the point, the look of metal is it! I just fear your Lightning could look in the end like Aeroplane Heavens: gloss grey.
    There are some Mustangs around, that have both, metal shine and wear.
    So no problems here, I can`t wat for the release!

Cheers, Thilo

To get an idea of the look of this plane as it develops i present a production photo with its custom reflect map in play , as the release date nears the look will be finalized but until that point its still " up in the air "

On Another Planet
    That picture looks shiny to me but not nearly reflective enough. I would think that it would be both shiny and reflective right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

There are two "types" of reflection in 3D. Specular and reflection.

Specular is a fake reflection. Developed as a simple way to simulate a light source or "hot spot" on a surface without reflecting everything. Thats the white marks you see on the skin. They are rather big in this iteration of the model.

Reflection is an actual reflection of the environment, or in FSX's case, an environment map. A texture that is being reflected. With the current model, the reflection map has very little in it. Almost white.

So this is why it looks very shiny, but not reflective. The specular is high, but not much is being reflected in the skin.

The look and feel of the aircraft develops and changes greatly through the development process. If you look back at all the screenshots posted on the Milviz/FSD P-38, youll see that even though they all have the exact same skin, the look and feel has changed GREATLY in almost every shot. Thats why we constantly say that its a "work in progress" and judgment should be reserved for the final model when it comes to something like this. There is no right or wrong. Just opinions, and everyone has one
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

With a paint kit out I'm sure we'll see many variations on shine and reflection. This warbird has a huge following so I'm sure all tastes will be covered by many paints in the end.

I'm soooo looking forward to this release in it's original form and what the painter community will do with it. I'm sure my Choose Aircraft load up time will suffer a little because of all the paints we'll see. An issue I will happily put up with!

Are we there yet?
    "The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." Manfred von Richthofen

Master of Disaster
    I'm more concerned about the view from the pit; I don't fly from the external view very often. Shiny or not I promise I'll be pleased, you can win with me!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Does that mean you'll buy two?

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    do ya get a discount buy one get another 50% off
    LOL
    H

Master of Disaster
    SURE!! Buy one get one free........right?

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    SURE!! Buy one get one free........right?
    thats the negotiator
    LOL
    H

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    thats the negotiator
    LOL
    H
    That's right!! I drive a hard bargin!!

I am still waiting for news of the SU Gloster Meteor for FSX, heard nothing in months

er... Isn't this a P-38 thread? Not to dis the Meteor but it's no P-38... Go make your own thread for that one!!!

Two for one ey? no. I don't think so... how about double or nothing. You pay the double. Or you get nothing....

kc

Today’s " production photo " has a new reflect map in play that puts the polish to it and in the second pic the drop tanks droppin', the code for them was one of the last bits that needed to be developed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    I couldn't use the standard methods as the tanks also needed to be part of the fuel load system and weight, as well as the same switches were used to drop the bombs so i came up with a timer code and added a popup panel release mechanism as well so you can watch them drop from the outside if so inclined.
    All in all a typical days work for we devs .

Master of Disaster
    Looks ready to me!! GIVE IT UP, OR ELSE!! Please?

On Another Planet
    Wow that looks a million times better Chuck! Thanks for fixing the relectivity!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

Cerberus
    Though I have been saying it for a long time we do have plans to release a full FSX version of our SkyUnlimited P-38s. Work has been slow, but progressing well. Nothing to show off yet, but I will keep everyone updated when we have some news and some screenshots to show off. When it is done many things will have been redone including enhanced textures and new custom 3d gauges. It will be available for a very affordable price as well. I have no idea if it will beat the Meteor on which will be released first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_Jodry-VJPL View Post
    All in all a typical days work for we devs .
    Great work Chuck! The new ref map is a million times better! I also got new FM from DCC and not only is she looking better, but flying better! Im very pleased with the new developments!!

Still a few FM bugs to iron out, but its getting there. Again, great job! :ernae:
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Though I have been saying it for a long time we do have plans to release a full FSX version of our SkyUnlimited P-38s. Work has been slow, but progressing well. Nothing to show off yet, but I will keep everyone updated when we have some news and some screenshots to show off. When it is done many things will have been redone including enhanced textures and new custom 3d gauges. It will be available for a very affordable price as well. I have no idea if it will beat the Meteor on which will be released first.
    Well, I'm pretty sure that it won't be nearly as nice as ours AND it won't be DCC approved!

And now, go make your own P-38 thread matey! This one's ours!

kc.

Well, I'm pretty sure that it won't be nearly as nice as ours AND it won't be DCC approved!

kc.
    Wow - What? How does this thread start?

By asking about SU's model? Maybe you need to get off his thread? (not suggesting that, but really, stop claiming this thread is all about yours.)

So, without having seen SU's FSX P-38, the FS9 version of which was DCC approved, you have concluded that yours is better? OK, whatever. I'm sure yours is nice. I'm just not sure Cerberus' is worse, just different.

Brian

Errr, you're sure?
    Mike

No. Of course not. It's not REALLY ours.

However, were I to go into the Iris thread and say that we were making an F-16D too (we're not) wouldn't that be just a touch offensive? No? If not, then statement retracted. If so, it stands.

kc

Members who have read this thread: 0