bundling new FS rig, what do you think of specs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bundling new FS rig, what do you think of specs?

bundling new FS rig, what do you think of specs?

Hey folks,
    my old Athlon 64 4000 runs FSX ok in rual areas but after getting Mikes beautiful L-39 I really want to be able to fly smooth. I'm ready to up my computer. Here is what im looking at for a good deal on tigerdirect.

Asus M4N78 PRO mobo with onbord Nvidia 8300 GPU...at a later time will be able to add a another Nvidia GPU for a boost
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2ghz quad CPU + 4gig DDR2 ram bundle
    IDE PCI controller...mobo only has one IDE slot
    all about 370USD with rebates+shipping.

Anyone have a similar rig and how is it running FSX for you?

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More ram. You'll be able to tweek your fsx.cfg for a higher LOD without getting the "out of available memory" window sometime during flight. If you plan on overclocking the CPU, tweeking the fsx.cfg, flying with numerous FSrecordings, and in general thrashing your machine with FSX, you will need more memory.

yeah looks like Ram will be needed, but that is expandable, 4 gigs should get by for now until 4096 sticks become affordable , then i can load it up to 16,that and im fond of my trusty WinXP pro that some of my older devices have drivers for, been hesitant to go vista/64 but we'll see. maybe will skip vista all together and go to windows 7 and bump the ram then.
    thanks for the advice
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Im a AMD Phenom user with 4 gigs ram, Give Windows 7 64 a try. It really helps with frames and fluid movement in the urban areas of the sim. Ive never ran outa memory using w7 64 bit.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

will definately shoot for win seven. in my IT class (working on CompTia certs) I can get the student rate...free 'student license' through the MSDN academic alliance but they dont have windows 7 yet, but when they do i'll jump on it

Cheers
    TJ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

harleyman
    What was the price on that ?

would be paying about 370 bucks with rebates/shipping on tigerdirect for the mobo, cpu/fan, ram, ide pci card
    mobo with gpu = $100
    cpu+ram bundle=$255 after $10 rebate
    pci ide card = $20

shipping = $2
    ordering through google checkout = - $5

$372

I did a comparison with newegg and other places with comparible rates, and ive had good experiences with tigerdirect before
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

harleyman
    Oh...I see...You are upgrading....My mistake..

You got some good prices then.....

Whats a pci ide card ?

lol yeah tigerdirect is a good place to ballpark prices.

this motherboard only has one IDE connector for the DVD drives and HDs as it makes it up with more SATA connectors. So the IDE pci card will allow me to plug in my older HDs and my DVD drives that dont have SATA capability.

Cheers
    TJ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Remember to add some hot peppers to whatever you come out with!!!!FSX needs them.

Maybe I just want great performance, but you'll need specs much better than that to run high settings with 30+ fps

If you're on a budget and you want great performance, you'll want:

P45 motherboard
    E8500 overclocked to 4.0Ghz
    4GB RAM
    9800GT at a minimum, GTX260 better choice
    a 64 bit OS, whether it be XP, Vista or Win 7

And to OC you'll need a nice cooler such as:
    http://www.crazypc.com/products/utlr...50983L775.html

If you can't afford that stuff at a bare minimum DO NOT use that onboard 8300 video card, get a 9800GT or similar.

That Phenom II should be pretty good, but you'll still want to OC even that.

Remember, with 4GB of RAM running a x64 bit OS is a good idea....
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

The AMD 965 will do 4 gig on air, its just a little power hungry, but me going to a 945 has made it ever so smooth, running 4 gig ram with xp32, it has hit 2 gig of usage but hasnt gone over yet. The 965 runs stcok 3.4 gig, going to wait for price to drop, couole of pays maybe. You also have to remeber taht a lot of the FPS drop in major airpors is simple because there is so much ai around, they do make a bit of a FPS hit, turn them off and she will be beautifull, but I love my AI.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

yeah, the 955 seems like it will do ok, i'll look into getting a 9800 that supports the hybrid SLI, altho nvidia says only vista will support Hybrid SLI, ive read reports that windows 7 will.

Cheers
    TJ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That 8300 will indeed definately not cut it.

I recommend an ATi HD4890.
    Nicholas Dackard
    2D/3D
    www.realflight.co.uk

Stay metal \m/

yeah i added a 9800GTX+ it will give good performance for now and then when i up to win 7 can add the hybrid sli capability

thanks for all your suggestions

cheers
    TJ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

harleyman
    Look into that..

typically Hybrid SLI or Hybrid CrossfireX is usually only found on very low end video cards... Probably not the 9800..Maybe the 5200.....

Deal is you have to match the onboard with the PCI card for that feature..

Better off just disabeling that onboard in the bios with your new card...

yeah i did some researching on the hybrid SLI...i wont really be able to boost the power but i can use the hybrid to cut power when i dont need it....would have to use another 8000 card for boost and it wouldnt give me that much more performance than the 9800 by itself would.

found this posted on an SLI forum
    ================================================== ========
    QUOTE (rhassallnoob @ Oct 9 2008, 12:57 AM)
    <!--quotec-->
    <!--QuoteEnd-->
    <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you want to use Geforce Boost you have to use the following cards only
    Geforce 8400GS
    Geforce 8500GT

For Hybrid Power
    Geforce 9800GT (not all support Hybrid Power)
    Geforce 9800GTX
    Geforce 9800GTX+
    Geforce 9800GX2
    Geforce GTX260
    Geforce GTX260 core216
    Geforce GTX280

thats the list of the supported cards at the moment.

you cant use both Geforce Boost and Hybrid Power at the same time.
    because the higher end cards draw more power, they use Hybrid Power to turn off when not gaming or using graphics intensive applications.
    geforce boost combines the power of the on board geforce 8200/8300 with the geforce 8400GS/8500GT to boost performance.
    ================================================== =======
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SLI won't really do much for FSX, unless you have a huge huge monitor.... So I'd skip the sli
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

I'd say forget upgrading and just get a mac.

hahah yeah, lol i could dedicate the 9800 for FS and have some fun multi monitor setups but as much as i do FS i have a few other graphics programs that might like it

I found a good deal on an XFX 9800GTX+. Ive had really good luck with XFX cards, the one EVGA i had the heatsink fan failed shortly after I got it, replaced it with an XFX that has lasted ever since

the one positive thing about FS11 being a looooooong ways off, if its ever developed, this current rig will be good for 3 years or so and then the everything that is out of reach cost wise now will be easily affordable, i usually had the habit of getting a good computer for an FS version toward the end of its run and then being underpowered for the next version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

harleyman
    FS11 is DEAD...Aces has been broken up.......

This is the Sim as it will always be....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    I'd say forget upgrading and just get a mac.

Oh dear Lord not another that drank the cool-aid! You must kidding. I service Macs and haven't found one yet at the same price level as a PC that will run FSX as well as the PC will.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    FS11 is DEAD...Aces has been broken up.......

This is the Sim as it will always be....
    that makes things perfect, that means everyone will have an oppertunity to eventually catch up with FSX, and in 3-4 years, think of all the good addons from A2A, Lotus, RealAir...etc that we will be flying

thanks all for your help
    cheers
    TJ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pilottj View Post
    that makes things perfect, that means everyone will have an oppertunity to eventually catch up with FSX, and in 3-4 years, think of all the good addons from A2A, Lotus, RealAir...etc that we will be flying

thanks all for your help
    cheers
    TJ

That is correct...The developers can now move ahead with all their projects..FSX will and is getting some great addons... Future technoligy will not help FSX out though.....

Worst thing to me about ACES going down was loosing train Sim just to be released...Man...That hurt

I'm still waiting for the downside of the Aces being dismissed. So far, all I can see is CAVOK all the way to the horizon.