Best native-FSX helicopter model?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best native-FSX helicopter model?

Question Best native-FSX helicopter model?

Some people are going to hate this question from the get-go, and say it's impossible to answer. Ok, so don't.

The rest, who have an opinion, don't hold back. I'm looking for a balance of framerates and...everything else. The two helicopters that I fly almost exclusively are the Acceleration EH101 and the Aerosoft Seahawk. I like the Seahawk's built-in autopilot and autohover, but it's hard on framerates. The EH101 looks great and gets good framerates, but the VC instruments are a little too small for comfortable reading; and it doesn't implement autopilot or autohover (though you can get both of these functions with freeware gauges). I also have the original Alphasim Apache, which I like and which gets good framerates; but the graphics resolution of the VC gauges is low. I've looked at Alphasim's Longbow version, but it seems to be lacking some basic gauges (e.g., radar altimeter).

So, what's great?
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Freeware or Payware or both...?

Tony

My Fav is the Alphasim MH-53J...excellent on Framerates

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Techy111 View Post
    Freeware or Payware or both...?
    I'm open. Military or civilian too.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

MCDesigns
    Tough one. hard for me to answer since I just went from a mid level rig to a new high end machine. On my old rig, the default EH101 was to hard on resources and I hated the flight model, too twitchy.

The flight model on the Aerosoft birds are unrealistic and geared for their specific models and gamers.The reason it's hard on frames is because Aerosoft boast about detail and don't seem to really care about those with lower end machines.

I had bad performance with most of the Alphasim helis, usually due to too many textures and the high resolution. No issues now on the new rig though.

All the nemeth birds give good performance on my old rig and the VCs looked great, but since I am not an instrument flyer, can't really comment to much on that. The upcoming Nemeth Super Puma is outstanding so far and I don't like big helis.

If you are into instruments, the DoDo bell 206 might be for you and I hear it's easy on the frames.

Probably the best bet between systems, detail and framerates is the CERA 412 IMO

As Michael well said, the DODO 206 and the Cera 412.

gajit
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvalho View Post
    As Michael well said, the DODO 206 and the Cera 412.

Yep I would also go for those 2.

I would also say the Dodo & Cera 412 & add one more. The Just Flight R44. I tend to fly it allot & it is a genuinely enjoyable helicopter.
    I have heard some say it is a little hard on frames but it flies great on my rig
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Nemeth Designs BO105

The Cera for procedures and paints perhaps - despite a few bugs.

Anything Nemeth and single engined

Cyril Pioffet's Gazelle - when he finally gets it finished...

But for overall FPS, accuaracy and feel I'd go for the Lama and Alouette from Peter Salzgeber. And yet all of them have their downsides too.

At the moment the Cera 412 is getting a lot of air time. Tomorrow?
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

Oh... and it does, of course depend on your own PC setup...
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

I have absolutely enjoyed my purchase of the Alphasim Kamov Ka-27/32 package. Some might well say it is dated, but it remains one of the most-flown aircraft I own.

Nemeth's EC135 has stood similar tests of time and attention span.

More recently, the Alphasim AS365N package has been getting quite a bit of time on my screen.

Finally, and some may laugh aloud at this one, but I dearly love the FSHeli Alouette II.

Happy Flying,
    MT

Alphasim AH64D for flight dynamics if you want realism try the nemeth Mi17 theres a challenge and a half!!

The dodosim 206 is by far the best helicopter I've ever flown in FS.

I like Mick Posch's Flying Banana ..

Mike

3/7charlie
    Piglets LOACH. maneoverable, great VC, easy on frames,a riot for flying NOE, and free. one of the few helio's that you can pull off the pad backing up, kick the pedal hard into a turn while rolling her on to heading with the cyclic, transition and accelerate off at low level.You know, like the departure T.C. is so fond of in Magnum,P.I. Alpha Ka-27, both the Alpha stallions, and the G-MAX Acadamy Frelon.

BananaBob
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    I like Mick Posch's Flying Banana ..

Mike
    That's what I was just going to add, it's very good and great on FPS and is also native to FSX. :ernae:

The Dodo 206 is the nearest anyone has got to providing a realistic helo within MSFS, I am waiting for their Huey.

I shall not bother to buy this new 'hybrid' Huey creation on the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    Former Nemeth Designs payware product which was released as freeware, now converted into P3DV4 format, minus PBR materials. An FSX native version is planned as soon as I can figure out why Model Convertor X is not compiling the models properly...
    I've ingested this Nemeth Designs Kamov 26 for P3D into the latest version of McX and the resulting FSX native version is working just fine, no tricks or tweaking necessary at all!

I hope George will read this, try it again, and upload it somewhere, cause this little helo is quite fun!

And this Interflug repaint by Mako8841 does improve greatly the VC textures... Thanks.

Big barn doors:

It's quite cosy inside:

Agricultural sprayer version available...

Last edited by vonstroheim; March 9th, 2022 at 15:15.

I have a lot of Helicopters, but the ones I find the best (mentioned by others above) Tim's "little Bird"_OH-6, The Kamov Ka-26, The H-21C Shawnee & Pyro (Mick Posch). The addition of the Helitrim gauge and rotor "slap" sounds adds an extra level of enjoyment too.

. . . .It would be great if George released the Native FSX version of the Kamov.
    Last edited by falcon409; March 10th, 2022 at 07:32. Reason: additional comment
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Techy111 View Post
    My Fav is the Alphasim MH-53J...excellent on Framerates

Tony
    I'll second the MH-53 (or CH53. I have both and the paint jobs are mostly interchangeable) was the first Helo I could fly well.
    You can't take the sky from me...

SOH-CM-2023
    Speaking of Kamov's... There is one that sits along US 7 in Milton Vermont at Mansfield Heliflight. ( https://www.mansfieldheliflight.com/ )

Photo by me with my cruddy phone camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kamov.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	86566
    You can't take the sky from me...

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    The Milviz Skycrane and Milviz/Nemeth Chinook are two of my favorites. Nemeth helicopters are permanently 50% off since they no longer support FsX/P3D.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

My favourite has to be Cera Sim Bell 222B, surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, mostly because I watched Airwolf as a kid.

Members who have read this thread: 3