PBY5 or higher Catalina - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PBY5 or higher Catalina

Charter Member 09
    For wartime PBY's and other aircraft look at this site.
    http://uscgaviationhistory.aoptero.org/history02.html
    You'll see the OS2U2s at Salem when I was hanging around there.
    The USCG was born about 500 feet from where I'm sitting. They still maintain a base there.
    Although I joined the Navy, I've always had admiration for the "Coasties". They're the unsung heroes of our armed forces.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

Quote Originally Posted by Trans_1007 View Post
    Say Helldiver would you happen to know were i could get my hands on a pic of the USCG Cat showing her paint and scheme. Might give a WW2 uscg paint a try.
    No photo but here's a bit to whet your appetite...
    "Prior to the USA entering the Second World War, the second production PBY-5, Bu2290, was transferred by the US Navy to the US Coast Guard, with which it adopted the serial V189. Initially flown in a high visibility livery of overall aluminium but with yellow-orange upper wing surfaces and red and white vertically striped rudder topped with blue, it later adopted a more sober grey scheme when in wartime use up in Alaska. It remained in service until at least 1943, when it was stationed in the San Francisco area, and it was the predecessor for many more wartime and post-war USCG Catalinas."

http://www.catalina.org.uk/catalina-history

The "clipper bow" was a postwar modification to give the crew better forward/downward visibility (esp. for the firefighters) as the turret blocked a lot and the structure removed saved about 200# IIRC. Most current Cats probably wouldn't be modded back to the original to keep it simple for the current owners/crews. I think you'll find there were at least two STC's for the mod (one was a bit more lumpy that the others).

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

'Glide Bombers', very different to 'Dive Bombers'.
    The barge busters were pretty efficient, 4x.5 Brownings mounted through the bomb aimers postition did a number on most things they hit.
    The 'No Bow Turret' configuration was mostly post WW.II, the original cupola was replaced mid war by a proper power operated (made by Ryan IIRC?) twin .30 cal turret.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

naravac
    Has the alphasim catalina got a clickable VC ie throttles and sounds

Members who have read this thread: 1