I want to start modelling......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to start modelling......

I want to start modelling......

well, it has been a dream of mine to learn how to use GMAX and how to make a aircraft for FSX. i want to start out as a freeware dev. every little scrap of help will be a huge help. tips will also be a big help too!

Thanks,
    C4N
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

Ready are you to begin the training? Much to learn there is...:d
    Regards,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by N2056 View Post
    Ready are you to begin the training? Much to learn there is...:d
    yes master yoda, im ready to explore the unknown....

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    ..youŽll finish what you start....do it or donŽt, there is no try...

BananaBob
    I'm not good enough looking to model, LOL :ernae:

Always great to have new guys getting interested in modelling so good luck and most of all have fun exploring the world of poligons and vertices.
    It's always a good idea to begin with step #1 so I'd suggest to do put the idea of making an aircraft in the background for a bit and do the tutorials first that come with Gmax, one by and in order.
    Most struggle because they want too much too fast and just forget to learn the toolbox.
    Mathias

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Always great to have new guys getting interested in modelling so good luck and most of all have fun exploring the world of poligons and vertices.
    It's always a good idea to begin with step #1 so I'd suggest to do put the idea of making an aircraft in the background for a bit and do the tutorials first that come with Gmax, one by and in order.
    Most struggle because they want too much too fast and just forget to learn the toolbox.
    Thanks, i will always keep that in mind when i start to model. if i get the ropes, i might make a WIP. but that wont be for a while....

Go, to the dark side, you will. Start small and simple. Learn the programs in small simple steps. Learn how to push and pull poly's and vertices.
    And go get the tuts meantioned above!:ernae::ernae:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

I agree with Mathias. I am new to the modelling community as well and havent done anything really so far. A little trying on aircraft fuselage shapes here and there, but I want to know the fundamentals of a program like Gmax/Max first. That makes you much more efficient in the end and you know what and why you do it. Therefore I concentrate on making basic and medium complexity stuff, learning the interface etc.

If you are into video training I can make the following suggestion:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/xcart/product....&cat=10&page=1

I friend of mine is doing Maya and used these training courses and gave me a hint. I ordered myself the 3ds Max Fundamentals series for $99.00 and it is absolutely worth the money. Well these $99.00 is really nothing compared to the awesome training you will get. You will start with the interface basics, then move to simple models first, going all the way up. You even do am F-14 Tomcat, so there will be aircraft modelling in this course as well and it is sooo cool. I am almost there, to start on it.

Keep in mind though, that these training videos are based on 3ds Max 9, I think, but you can transfer a lot to Gmax. Most of the things are very similar and you can directly use it in Gmax. 3ds Max might have more complex functionality, but you dont need that really to model a good aircraft from what I have seen. There are also a lot of training videos on animations, texture baking, texturing with Photoshop etc. So very nice content. All in all you get like 105 hours of video training. Have a look at the sample videos, in order to check if you like the teaching style.

I was lucky to get a student license of 3ds Max 2009, so I can directly work on the things presented in the course. I might get lucky and get a commercial version after it, but if not, I will go back to Gmax and I know that the transfer back will be no problem at all.

Its up to you and you learning style, but I just wanted to tell you what I am currently doing in order to learn a complex application like Gmax/Max and these videos are helping me a lot. When you then read awesome tutorials like Milton's C162, it all makes much more sense, if you know the basics and the tools.

Hope I could provide a little help. From newbie to newbie
    Pete

I wanted to get into modeling, but I found out that I had this problem...

[youtube]Gcbsy5SiCIo[/youtube]
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

"I'm not afraid!" "eh... you will be... you will be..."

Good stuff! I would suggest that you do the tutorials in GMAX first and foremost. That way you have a good base to start with. After that, you can start working on planes... (Note that this is only a suggestion)...

My advice is this. Go to a local community college and see if they have a class in 3DS Max. I have seen classes for around $60 and Gmax is a basic stripped version of 3DS Max. You can learn the interface from that. The interface is VERY complex and confusing, so it makes reading tutorials almost pointless without knowing the interface first. Also there are DVD's you can buy that shows you 3DS.

And a tip from a pro. Dont strive for perfection. Flaws make it more realistic, since real aircraft are also not perfect. Also, stay away from Mesh smooth. I see way too many new artist's rely too much on that tool. Ow, and your best friend is Ctrl Z, but your worst nightmare is Ctrl X. Have fun!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

MCDesigns
    LMAO, LOVE the Yoda references!

The key is persistence! When I first started with Gmax it made no sense whatsoever, tried for months, went back to FSDS, tried for months, went back to FSDS, tried for months, gave up! Got a copy of 3DSMax and that made sense for some reason. Came back to FS and Gmax, made sense, go figure, LOL.

Also making an aircraft for FS is more than just modeling (which is why I have never released any of mine, LOL), that's the easy part.

All of you guys are wayyy too ambitious, but I'm really glad you are! My forte lies in being the end user...you know, the path of least resistance.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    If doing the Gmax tutorials (and you really should), do them one at a time, IN ORDER.... Very important. They teach you in steps where the tools are and how they work. Thus if you jump from one to 5, you miss where the tools are through the last steps and cannot finish step 5.

Also, in doing the Gmax tutorials, do not go to the next level until you have memorised EVERYTHING on that step you are on. THEN go to the next step. Burn the tools into your mind, where they are, how they work. That is the most important thing to learn about Gmax....

Alot of guys went to the Gmax tutorial, right to the P-38, and couldnt figure out why the instructions were so vague. All the tools for it are taught in the previous tutorials. (I'm one of them. I didnt do the early ones.. I went straight for the plane.. I quit Gmax perhaps 3 times before finally starting at step 1).

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

wow, this is helping me alot. i want to say thank you to those who have givin me the tips! this is really going to help me "join the dark side:toilet:"

Quote Originally Posted by empeck View Post
    Best FS-dev forums (with twisted sense of humour ):
    http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi
    Well, Felix is there, so whaddya expect? :d

As for modeling, try starting out with sceneries, say airport buildings or so. They're fairly simple to do and great to get the hang of the tools.

If you really want to challege yourself, learn Blender. I've done my fair share of different 3d modelling tools including Autocad, 3ds Max and gmax, back when I was studying architecture, but the only real headache I was dealing with was Blender. And I agree with Gibbage, best way to start is if you can participate on some class teaching you the basics. After that it is very easy go by yourself to learn new tricks.

I've now been "3d free" for four years and don't miss it at all. Changing my profession was the best decision I've ever made LOL.

What are you doing now, bushpilot?

I work as 3d artist for about six years, and I still like it :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by empeck View Post
    What are you doing now, bushpilot?
    I'm a freelance photographer, running my own photography firm. Might just be the best job in the world:ernae:. If I sleep in, no one's complaining LOL

try starting out with sceneries, say airport buildings or so. They're fairly simple to do --Bjoern
    Heck, I must be picking the wrong buildings

Seriously, there are quite a few folks that can help, should you have problems.

Go for it.

Okay...my Yoda bit went well

Seriously, what everyone has told you is gold. Save yourself a lot of headache later by doing the tutorials in order first! (Trust the words of the non tutorial taker ). When you feel ready to try a plane pick one that you can actually do. I always advise finding a basic single engine fixed gear design that you like as a start. Keeping it simple initially makes the process easier, and increases the odds of success.

I look forward to watching your progress! :ernae:
    Regards,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by BananaBob View Post
    I'm not good enough looking to model, LOL :ernae:
    Obviously, you're the makeup artist - the one who makes the models look their best!
    Felix/FFDS

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    this is really going to help me "join the dark side:toilet:"

On a serious note .... "joining the dark side" is used by True Luddites to refer to those misguided souls that have delved into gmax/Max and other such modelling programs, instead of seeking the Masochistic Nirvana of the One True Flightsim Modelling Program - FSDS.

Ultimately, as has been proven many times over, it's the artist that creates the awesome models, irrespective of the programs used - gmax/Max/FSDS/Blender ....

You have been given very good advise on how to approach gmax. DO the gmax tutorials, and play with it as you go. Those tutorials only get you to using the program.

Getting the model into FS is another little challenge .....

Solve the mysterry of the blue-checkered box!
    Felix/FFDS

Members who have read this thread: 1