old CS F-104 in FSX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: old CS F-104 in FSX

old CS F-104 in FSX

Captain Sim old TF-104 flies good in FSX Gold.

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Man, that's good news! Been missing my 104, but too prone to find out they don't do so good AFTER I install. Thanks for the HU!

I thought it didn't work in acceleration. .....
    -G-

same here, I think I'll dig mine out and give it a frisk too!!

Blog Entries
    I re-installed mine to the desktop and got a "contact Captain Sim customer support. Your copy has been disabled.. " window.. I installed the files by hand, but I don't know if it works yet....:isadizzy:

You need (as I recall) to flip the Master Power switch on the shift-4 panel. Otherwise, the gear doesn't work.

try aerosoft's CS F-104 version. This is cheap and it's verification procedure is much easier than Captain Sim's.

Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    You need (as I recall) to flip the Master Power switch on the shift-4 panel. Otherwise, the gear doesn't work.
    As I recall there were some other problems with operating features not working in FSX/SP2/Accel. (same as with CS's C-130)

I remember trying to port this one over a few years ago and while it looked great I had trouble with the flaps and throttle (as well as the landing gear). I ended up deleting the files.

If someone has figured out what to do to get this plane to reliable port over into FSX/SP2/Accel I'd love to see some detailed steps on just how to go about it. Check Checkers and Dischem Specials. I had a blast flying this one in FS9.

-G-

I got it to work fine in FSX Gold. To get the flaps and gear to work all you have to do is turn on the generator switches located on the right fore panel. It flies great and I would say slightly better than in FS9(not sure why, just seems so). The only thing I wish I could do is eliminate the rear view mirror reflections/movement. They look rather crappy in FSX and may even degrade the FPS a bit.
    "Soon to be Expat"

Quote Originally Posted by deathfromafar View Post
    I got it to work fine in FSX Gold. To get the flaps and gear to work all you have to do is turn on the generator switches located on the right fore panel. It flies great and I would say slightly better than in FS9(not sure why, just seems so). The only thing I wish I could do is eliminate the rear view mirror reflections/movement. They look rather crappy in FSX and may even degrade the FPS a bit.
    Did you do a direct install from the CS installation program or transfer/copy files from FS9?

I wouldn't think you could do a direct install since the main file directory folders are different from FSX and FS9.

Please provide details......

-G-

I installed it directly into FSX from Aerosoft CS F104 in order to put everything includes gauges and effects into main folder of FSX. I just then cut "Legendary F-104" from aircraft (useless in FSX) to Airplanes in SimObjects. I had bad experience of installation in different PC (vista) before. But now it looks beautiful and flies great in another PC (vista sp2).

I created a folder to install the contents into and then dragged & dropped everything into place in FSX. No issues at all really. All the gauges seem to work and the plane handles fine.
    "Soon to be Expat"

I think I've moved mine twice that way and didn't have any trouble. (Knock on wood.)

Blog Entries
    Man oh man... I went to the CS site and entered my order number for the 104, so I can get it reactivated, and the results were "order not found"... I know I've had this jet for several years, but it doesn't even show on my list of purchases... Good gravy, what do I do next?

Quicksand, there is an option to re-activate your order. I had to do it for my F-104. From there, you can re-download it.
    "Soon to be Expat"

Quote Originally Posted by deathfromafar View Post
    I created a folder to install the contents into and then dragged & dropped everything into place in FSX. No issues at all really. All the gauges seem to work and the plane handles fine.
    I got it to work in FSX.

Cool! :ernae:

Great to be flying the old girl again. I took a flight from KVBG to KEDW. Gotta love those long runways for the 104

Now I need to make thumbnails for the textures.

-G-

Blog Entries
    I never could get my CS version to work.. TCE was fubar, for some reason. I bought the Aerosoft version, and she flies like dream. It was worth buying the AS version instead of dealing with all the headaches with the CS one. I miss the cool smoke effect I had in FS9 for it. I wonder if the same effect would work in FSX? Will report back....

Blog Entries
    :isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy: No mods to the aircraft cfg.. All I did was substitute the smoke effect, and this is what it looks like. More than a little off-center. The thin, whispy stock effect was in the same spot. Any ideas how to fix it? Here's the entry in my cfg:

[smokesystem]
    smoke.0 = 0, -31, 0, cs104_smoke

dhazelgrove
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
    :isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy: No mods to the aircraft cfg.. All I did was substitute the smoke effect, and this is what it looks like. More than a little off-center. The thin, whispy stock effect was in the same spot. Any ideas how to fix it? Here's the entry in my cfg:

[smokesystem]
    smoke.0 = 0, -31, 0, cs104_smoke
    Just reverse the first two numbers.
    Your smoke entry then becomes "smoke.0 = -31, 0, 0, cs104_smoke"

Dave

I added the alphasim sound just for that J79 howell lol, has anyone got the two seater VC working or is it just me that its not working for, the single one works fine??

dhazelgrove
    I changed the burner effect for the Alphasim one.
    Much more chocolatey.....

light.13 = 9, -18.30, 0.00, 1.20, fx_Alpha_F104_AB,

Dave

Nice to see almost everything works in FSX. Here is a fix I worked out and some tips:

1) Solid Canopy glass fix
    In Acceleration, the canopy glass becomes solid grey in outside views when switching on lights at dusk/night. This is caused by the alpha channel in one of the shared textures: F-104G-0_T.bmp.
    BTW: I am using an NVidia video card, not sure this applies to ATI users.

Feel free to dowload a fixed version here

If you use the FS2004 folder layout, the fixed bitmap file should go into every texture folder.

2) Moving shared textures saves diskspace
    I rearranged my textures the FSX way, which saves a lot of diskspace. This is how it works:

a) Move the following shared textures to a new folder named "texture.shared" :

F-104G-0_T.bmp
    F-104G-1_L.bmp
    F-104G-10_L.bmp
    F-104G-10_T.bmp
    F-104G-12_L.bmp
    F-104G-12_T.bmp
    F-104G-2_L.bmp
    F-104G-3_L.bmp
    F-104G-3_T.bmp
    F-104G-4_L.bmp
    F-104G-4_T.bmp
    F-104G-5_L.bmp
    F-104G-5_T.bmp
    F-104G-6.bmp
    F-104G-6_LM.bmp
    F-104G-7_T.bmp
    F-104G-8_T.bmp
    F-104G-9_T.bmp
    panel1_L.bmp
    panel2_L.bmp
    panel3_L.bmp
    panel4_L.bmp
    panel5_L.bmp
    panel6_L.bmp
    TF-104G-1_L.bmp
    TF-104G-12_t.bmp
    TF-104G-2_L.bmp

BTW: These textures can be found also in the FS2004 folder \Flight Simulator 9\Captain_Sim\104\never_modify.

b) Delete the shared textures from their original texture folders, leaving only these 2 unique textures:

The single seater:
    F-104G-1_t.bmp
    F-104G-2_t.bmp

And for the2 seater:
    TF-104G-1_t.bmp
    TF-104G-1_t.bmp

c) To every original texture folder, add the other file I included in the ZIP above: texture.cfg (this contains the aliasing path to the shared texture folder)

d) Optional: To every original texture folder, you can add a thumbnail.jpg picture which you can manufacture yourself from e.g. a screenshot. This then becomes the little picture that shows in the Aircraft Selection screen.
    BTW: The stock FS2004 CS F- 104 installation has usefull JPEG's stored in the texure folders. Only thing you need to do is copy them to the FSX texture folder and rename them to thumbnail.jpg .

3) Another cleanup: Fixed windows not supported
    As FSX does not support the nice 2D cockpit left/right views (Forward Right, Right, Rear Right etc.) you may as well delete the gauge file that contains the bitmaps and the coding: cs_f104.view.gau
    Also, you can get rid of the panel.cfg sections for Fixed Window20 - 25.

Hope this helps, please post other tips & tricks to make this old zipper as FSX ready as she can be.

Henk.

Members who have read this thread: 10